• My First Roman Style Pizza: Thinnest Crust Ever

Moose

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Richard
In my continued quest to learn the many facets of pizza dough making, I was recently drawn to this tutorial on Roman style pizza:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-YHUKZbLkI&t=396s

Roman style pizza is less “bready” than its Neapolitan style cousin would be the best way I can describe it. This recipe called for AP flour, vs “00” used in Neapolitan, so the crust is firmer.

After I made the dough, it went into the fridge for a 36 hour cold rise. After pulling it out of the fridge and letting it rest for 1.5 hours, I started on working the dough – it was very easy to work with, and I was able to get it into a 12 inch round quickly by hand stretching on the deck, then rolled it out to 14 inches.

I cooked two pies, both with an equal amount of fresh mozzarella and grated whole milk mozz, and one had pepperoni.

The pies took about 3 minutes to cook at 700 degrees in the Blackstone oven.

They looked great right out of the oven, however, this was by far the absolutely thinnest pizza I’ve ever cooked. Basically, it was something like an ultra-thin NY style pizza. It was good, but I prefer a more substantial crust.

Here’s a few pictures of what was left after we finished eating, so the pizza had cooled a bit:

Here’s part of an eaten piece held up to the light – it's so thin you can actually see through it!

The pizza dough journey continues. Next stop, New Haven style!

Last edited:
Looks great! What oven are you using? I just bought the Ooni Karu 16 a couple weeks ago. I'm loving it so far but there is definitely a learning curve and while the last few pies have been pretty good, I definitely had a couple absolute disasters lol.

Looks great! What oven are you using? I just bought the Ooni Karu 16 a couple weeks ago. I'm loving it so far but there is definitely a learning curve and while the last few pies have been pretty good, I definitely had a couple absolute disasters lol.

I'm using the Blackstone oven. Trying to baby it as it's been out of production since 2016.

Looks good but I prefer a thicker crust. To me the taste of pizza is in the dough not the topping. I was able to snag a hardly used BS some months past and have modified it to reach 900 deg. fast and without effort. Nonetheless, nice pie.

Looks good but I prefer a thicker crust. To me the taste of pizza is in the dough not the topping. I was able to snag a hardly used BS some months past and have modified it to reach 900 deg. fast and without effort. Nonetheless, nice pie.

I concur on crust thickness, and stated such. If you do a search for my other pizza cooks, you'll see this first hand - here's a perfect example:

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=294937

DSC_0324Ers.JPG

This latest pie is a series of experiments in working with different types of doughs to better learn how varying amounts of flour, water, yeast, salt, and specific types of flours produce different outcomes.

Please share your BS mod, if you would!

I'm a thin crust fan as stated many times, especially the very yeasty flavored ones. But, I do enjoy your journey of learning. I suggest a pizza sticky at the top of the page as there are many good threads.

I also second the Blackstones mods to hot rod the oven.

Thanks,

Robert

I concur on crust thickness, and stated such. If you do a search for my other pizza cooks, you'll see this first hand - here's a perfect example:

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=294937

DSC_0324Ers.JPG

This latest pie is a series of experiments in working with different types of doughs to better learn how varying amounts of flour, water, yeast, salt, and specific types of flours produce different outcomes.

Please share your BS mod, if you would!
I meant to agree with you in my response regarding thickness factor.

Back