Dickie's BBQ

Dickey's made some of the best BBQ in Texas. Of course, that was in Dallas back in the 80's, before they franchised. You could smell the smokers for blocks. Ate lunch there many a time. Had to get there early because they'd run out of everything, usually before noon. Those were the days. Franchising was the death of a great Q. Don't know if the old place is even still open - doubt it.

It's fast food BBQ at sit down restaurant prices. Here in Texas, the only acceptable fast food BBQ is Rudy's. Places like Dickie's, Colter's, and Spring Creek are mediocre on a good day.

I live in Garland, about 2 minutes from a Dickey's and have had it no more than twice. DONT order the brisket is all I am saying...

We're spoiled, we have Meshack's.

Okay, I went again last night got a pound of brisket. Omg was so terrible I threw half of it out. There was nobody in there, not seeing how they are going to make it. First week the opened last year it was okay, this was the 3rd time back and will be my last. The owner was not working, just a couple young peoples who seemed clueless.

here in southern Utah there is several and they seem to do well, but if you ask me I feel that they are a little over priced and for the portions they are smaller. I may be impartial towards locals though because i would rather support the local BBQ guys rather than franchises. As for the food its not to bad but again the price for the portion seems to be off.

Back for freebie

Went back there yesterday around 2:00 PM to exercise my free 1/4 plate coupon with purchase of a drink...I ordered a pound of sliced Brisket and asked for the fatty end. The guy pulled out a whole plastic rapped Brisket and trimmed some fat and then made my slices. It looked great. Nice, moist and juicy. I also ordered a half rack of pork ribs. I told the guy I got a skimpy order last time so he pulled out a whole rack and sliced up some meaty end of the rack of ribs and even threw in an extra rib. So I brought it home for the family and I to enjoy. I must say that it was way better than the previous time. The Brisket was a little overdone but was tasty anyway. The ribs had a nice smoke flavor to them and were nice and meaty. I can't say it was awesome but it was not bad either...

Went back there yesterday around 2:00 PM to exercise my free 1/4 plate coupon with purchase of a drink...I ordered a pound of sliced Brisket and asked for the fatty end. The guy pulled out a whole plastic rapped Brisket and trimmed some fat and then made my slices. It looked great. Nice, moist and juicy. I also ordered a half rack of pork ribs. I told the guy I got a skimpy order last time so he pulled out a whole rack and sliced up some meaty end of the rack of ribs and even threw in an extra rib. So I brought it home for the family and I to enjoy. I must say that it was way better than the previous time. The Brisket was a little overdone but was tasty anyway. The ribs had a nice smoke flavor to them and were nice and meaty. I can't say it was awesome but it was not bad either...

Good deal. The main thing is you enjoyed it. :clap2:

Their side bar (onions, fresh pickle, peppers, etc), and sides are the best I've had at a BBQ joint. And their BBQ is consistent, so Cousin's is always a solid proposition.

Only knock is most of the locations don't have the old time BBQ joint feel, too well lit and too clean. For a smokey, beer serving BBQ joint, I hit the Railhead.

Sounds like you would like Craigs BBQ in DeValls Bluff AR. Good BBQ but looks like that old time BBQ Joint hole in the wall. I frist ate there in 1972 ate there last year and they still have same tables & chairs & wallpaper they had in 72. Good Que though.

I suggest you go ahead and try it yourself at least once rather than not going at all based on other folks opinions, mine included. If you don't youre doing yourself a disservice.

We keep 'thinking' about going to the one that opened close to us, but then we never do and I just go home and thaw out whatever we put away from the last run. I still prefer my frozen BBQ to a suspect chain: I may not be being fair, but there is this to consider. It doesn't really speak to their BBQ but …

Back in August, a woman in Salt Lake City thought she was getting Sweet Tea but ended up with a mouthful of toxic chemicals. I would have posted a link but couldn't remember if there were rules about it. It's an easy (insert favorite search engine name here) search away though.

We keep 'thinking' about going to the one that opened close to us, but then we never do and I just go home and thaw out whatever we put away from the last run. I still prefer my frozen BBQ to a suspect chain: I may not be being fair, but there is this to consider. It doesn't really speak to their BBQ but …

Back in August, a woman in Salt Lake City thought she was getting Sweet Tea but ended up with a mouthful of toxic chemicals. I would have posted a link but couldn't remember if there were rules about it. It's an easy (insert favorite search engine name here) search away though.

I've eaten at Dickies a bunch, mainly because it was just up the road from work. Like I said, it isn't to die for, but not too bad for a chain. I'm speaking for Texas though. I have no idea about out of state.

I seem to remember that sweet tea thing. Was that at a Dickies? Im remembering it as elsewhere..

Whoo Whoo, made 7 pages?. :clap2:

Definitely Dickies in Utah.

https://www.google.com/search?q=dic...f-8&oe=utf-8#q=dickies+bbq+utah+woman&tbm=nws

Looks like an honest mistake that could happen in any restaurant. But it still could've gotten much worse.

I remember eating at a chain called Black-Eyed Pea years ago (they're all gone from our area now) and the young woman serving us told us there'd be no more refills on sweet tea, "Because somebody mistook salt for sugar and it tastes pretty gross now."

Yeah, I do remember that. Unfortunately something like that can happen anywhere, even at home. About 6 years ago I got a big swig of cleaner from the ice/water machine at work. Got a cup full early in the morning not knowing housekeeping had cleaned the machine the night before and forgot to flush the machine.:twitch:

Edit: I think in this case Dickies messed up regardless of what the news report says. I worked in a BBQ joint when I was a teenager and we used lye to clean the pit grates every few months. We'd put them in a lye solution in big tubs out back. The lye itself came in 5 gallon plastic buckets and was kept in a locked closet with the janitor supplies, far away from any food relate items. To the best of my knowledge lye does not come in sacks because of moisture related issues. The report said someone accidentally put lye in a sugar sack and then someone else put it in the tea thinking it was sugar. What would make a person inclined to put lye in a sack labeled sugar and what was it doing anywhere near food?

Last edited:
Dumb and dumber

Yeah, I do remember that. Unfortunately something like that can happen anywhere, even at home. About 6 years ago I got a big swig of cleaner from the ice/water machine at work. Got a cup full early in the morning not knowing housekeeping had cleaned the machine the night before and forgot to flush the machine.:twitch:

Edit: I think in this case Dickies messed up regardless of what the news report says. I worked in a BBQ joint when I was a teenager and we used lye to clean the pit grates every few months. We'd put them in a lye solution in big tubs out back. The lye itself came in 5 gallon plastic buckets and was kept in a locked closet with the janitor supplies, far away from any food relate items. To the best of my knowledge lye does not come in sacks because of moisture related issues. The report said someone accidentally put lye in a sugar sack and then someone else put it in the tea thinking it was sugar. What would make a person inclined to put lye in a sack labeled sugar and what was it doing anywhere near food?

Sure sounds like mistakes were made on number of levels for Lye to be actually ingested. The first must have been at the hiring stage...

:evil:dickies is for folks who have never had good bbq!

And that's kinda the point for some of the locations around the country. Here in Wisconsin, there isn't a BBQ joint around every corner like there is in the south. Sheboygan, a town of 50K people, just has the Dickey's. Google maps search for BBQ in Milwaukee, many more people, has 4 (three small, one franchise). The same search over Little Rock, AR quickly showed 15, but there were a bunch of little dots not pinned with links so I stopped counting.

My point here is that in an environment where BBQ is a rarity, Dickey's ain't the best, but it sure cuts the mustard. It's like they say, "In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king."

Besides, at least BBQ is getting exposure the more Dickey's spreads. Before I started routinely traveling to the South I had no idea what pulled pork was. Now I own two kamado smokers, 5 different flavors of sauce in the pantry, and am never without some type of meet in my freezer to cook up whenever the desire hits me.

Vision

And that's kinda the point for some of the locations around the country. Here in Wisconsin, there isn't a BBQ joint around every corner like there is in the south. Sheboygan, a town of 50K people, just has the Dickey's. Google maps search for BBQ in Milwaukee, many more people, has 4 (three small, one franchise). The same search over Little Rock, AR quickly showed 15, but there were a bunch of little dots not pinned with links so I stopped counting.

My point here is that in an environment where BBQ is a rarity, Dickey's ain't the best, but it sure cuts the mustard. It's like they say, "In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king."

Besides, at least BBQ is getting exposure the more Dickey's spreads. Before I started routinely traveling to the South I had no idea what pulled pork was. Now I own two kamado smokers, 5 different flavors of sauce in the pantry, and am never without some type of meet in my freezer to cook up whenever the desire hits me.

A have a vision of you opening the best BBQ joint in Sheboygan...:grin:

The store I ate at was not too bad. Each store is individually owned and it's up to the owner to "care" and produce quality food. they had a huge Ole Hickory pit and I frankly thought the ribs and brisket were acceptable. Famous Daves is definately a sweeter flavor.

Back