What to charge for Brisket?

BBQ_Bird

Found some matches.
Reaction score
I just started a food truck. Starting small with sandwiches and such. I've cooked Brisket and pulled pork and sold by the pound typically, but I've got a customer wanting to buy the meat and have me cook it. I'm not sure what to charge per Brisket. I've seen people say "what is your time worth"? I'm not really sure haha. Does $75 per 12-15 lb Brisket sound unreasonable?

I've had people ask me if they can buy a brisket and if I can smoke it For them but I won't do it. I'm picky about the way I choose meat so I know what they buy will not be to my liking. If you're going to do it, just buy the brisket yourself and add that to whatever you decide to charge.

I would also teach them how to separate it and slice it. Otherwise I can see some guy hacking away on it the wrong direction, or slicing it to big or to small and then saying the brisket you sold him isn't as good as the one you sell per pound.

I concur with the other guys. If someone just wants meat, then buy the meat yourself, from your supplier, then charge him accordingly. You run way too much risk when taking meat from someone you don't know.

I concur with the other guys. If someone just wants meat, then buy the meat yourself, from your supplier, then charge him accordingly. You run way too much risk when taking meat from someone you don't know.

This is what I do. I'll put it out on Facebook, text friends and people I know, get together as may as I can, go pick up the meat myself and for butts N briskets I'll charge $20 labor on top of the price of the meat. It works out pretty good.

This is what I do. I'll put it out on Facebook, text friends and people I know, get together as may as I can, go pick up the meat myself and for butts N briskets I'll charge $20 labor on top of the price of the meat. It works out pretty good.
That's way to cheap. With your time, what your paying to be legit and supplies and firewood.

If you're legit then don't do this. Letting a customer buy the meat for you to cook is a rabbit hole you could regret....

^ +1
agree_zpswu0x8pdt.gif

You have lost all control over quality at this point and no matter what goes wrong, the finger will always be pointed directly at you.

Does $75 per 12-15 lb Brisket sound unreasonable?

I would say way too cheap as well. With yield being in the 50% range and charging a per pound price for finished product you should be able to charge much more.

You buy the meat, cook it to your specs, weigh the finished product and charge accordingly. Seems like the better places are getting up to $20 per pound IIRC.

Let me see here he wants to buy the brisket have you smoke it then pay you for smoking it then he can turn around and start selling the brisket and run you out of business . If that happens maybe you can go to work for him lol

why would you even consider doing that. buy some car parts and take them to your mechanic. watch how hard he laughs. just saying...

Nope and nope. I give away meat on a consistent basis to family friends and neighbors. My meat my timing. It was really easy for me to say no to bringing me meat to cook. Bride struggled with it with her golf Bunco book club friends but after covering the same real estate twice a couple times she says no the first time. I always follow up by offering to deliver my Pit Barrel Cooker with a list of rubs, charcoal, lighter technique and PBC step by step videos to be found on the web and they can cook their own. Not one- I repeat not one has taken me up on it. Unwilling or unable or lazy I don't know. There's a lot more goes into it than just the meat.
But I am not in the business of selling. So to answer your question I would not do it for reasons stated above

If he wants to buy the meat and have you cook it maybe you should sell him your truck and you can go to work for him and cook all his food for him . Tell him you will work for 30 dollars a hr

I charge $6 per lb on brisket and butts $4 for ribs and $2 for birds. If they want me to spice it I add a $5 charge. I normally smoke low and slow but for $$$ I will cook hot and fast.

Yeahhhh....no. Smoking is an art.

No one went to Picasso and said, "Hey, Pablo! Take these paints I bought and paint me a masterpiece.".

They shouldn't be bringing you meat either. You are a restaurateur, not a laundromat.

Another note on how much to charge. After 22 years of self-employment, the one thing I am sure of is this - charge what it is worth to you to do it, not what you think the market will bear, or what the customer will bite on. You know what goes into your food, and what you need to make from it to be successful. Charge that

I just started a food truck. Starting small with sandwiches and such. I've cooked Brisket and pulled pork and sold by the pound typically, but I've got a customer wanting to buy the meat and have me cook it. I'm not sure what to charge per Brisket. I've seen people say "what is your time worth"? I'm not really sure haha. Does $75 per 12-15 lb Brisket sound unreasonable?
Kindly decline.

it's not that hard. Explain to them if you do it your buying the meat. I have been known to go to every grocery store in town to try and find a good brisket. Do you think your customer would do that?

I concur with what is in this post....I wont cook others food at all. I pick my own, charge for what it takes to cook...dont except anything different.

So when you guy charge by the pound, this is by the pound raw before cooking correct?

Back