What Is Texas Barbecue

16Adams

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Here is link to a summary of "Texas" barbecue. Where I live in The llanos Estacado we eat grilled and smoked meats. Barbecue is a sauce or a restaurant. The staked Plains has mesquite, some oak and pecan. However I can drive a hundred miles in three directions and the area will be void of most trees.

NW Texas, East Texas, Central Texas the Gulfand Rio Grand Valley, while North Texas DFW seems to be the melting pot of smoked meats.

Here is Wikipedia link.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barbecue_in_Texas

Times are changing. Big names with no lines at noon. More QJoints selling hamburgers and pork ribs sandwiches. Most Q joints are hustling their butts off while adding special dinner nights, cooking classes, catering gigs, custom smoking.

What we do in the backyard in Texas Is quite simplistic to what a BBQ restaurant deals with. Just a quick browse of Texas menus show ribs $15# or $35 per rack, brisket hovering #35#, pulled pork and chicken no4X5 cost.

I'm about to cook 4 racks of ribs. 2 Back 2 SLCut. These were small BOGO so I have less than $23 invested in 4 racks. Not exactly sure which cooker yet.

I noticed where Goldee's is going to open Ribee's. Baby back ribs only and sides. Ribs to be served 4-5 flavors. Anyway if Interested info on Goldees Instagram page. I think the concept of one meat is genius. Just like SW Airlines and the 737. One plane, one maintenance, one training, one everything. I hope they are wildly successful.

Texas BBQ and exclusive BabyBack Ribs Joint. "Texas" barbecue can be discussed, but not necessarily defined.

#flameup

Last edited:
My kids live just outside fort worth, my son is anxious for ribbes to open!, I'm sure it will be excellent as everything at Goldees is off the hook,... except for the line.

I think the one meat is an interesting idea, cheaper than brisket which is awful high now, but maybe a 2 meat menu for people in a party that doesn't eat red meat would cover most peoples needs, turkey perhaps, which is also excellent at Goldees...

Re thought my position, lol
Seems that Ribbes is taking over a Sonic location, so probably a drive up and go operation. So turkey is out, ,,, so add wings!, easy peasy. lol

100 miles in every direction with no trees? Wood must be expensive in your area.

Two meats. Ribs and chicken quarters. It baffles me how CQ are still so cheap. I guess people just don't like messing with them or don't like the dark meat. I think it's the best deal going. GFS has a 40#box for $21.99. That is crazy cheap. Nothing like a slow smoked and sauced leg quarter.

Re thought my position, lol
Seems that Ribbes is taking over a Sonic location, so probably a drive up and go operation. So turkey is out, ,,, so add wings!, easy peasy. lol

Web says it'll have parking, order inside. And 44 tables.

Chain Saws and Beer

The chain saw snarled and rattled in the yard
And made dust and dropped stove-length sticks of wood
And the saw snarled and rattled, snarled and rattled,
As it ran light, or had to bear a load.

And nothing happened: day was all but done.
Call it a day, I wish they might have said . . .

[chorus]

But he'd been drinkin'

Last edited:
As far as the food style, we've certainly blended things a lot in recent years. KC alone has places that do 'texas style' bbq, and while I've always loved the food here-we are known for that sweet sauce and most people I know don't want their food that way. I still like having an idea what to expect from a style of food-I know I'd be disappointed if I went into a Thai restaurant, and all they had was what we think of as Neapolitan pizzas.

Food prices continue to raise, and the cost to operate is also going up. My health permit was 20% higher last year. I've not yet opened the letter to see how much more next years will cost. And all the utilities went up so just my rent alone was impacted. I think we all are feeling raising food costs.

There was an instagram video of some kid that had gone around Costco and taken pictures of prices a year ago, and did so again recently. He was showing how most things were 50% higher, and not the 7% we keep hearing. I know it seems small for a small family when you think "oh, just a few bucks more here and there" but when you buy bulk and have percentages made, it's a bigger impact. Especially when as consumers people are mad about the cost of rising fuel, housing, vehicles, etc-and don't want to pay more for the food that is costing you more to produce.

Back