Prime Day: Wood / Kindling Splitter, what to look for?

cayenne

is one Smokin' Farker
Hi all,
Well, I'm perusing things on Amazon Prime day that I'll need for when my smoker gets here.

I just got a propane "weed burner" to help start fires....$39.

I'm now thinking about log splitters and good sledge hammer.

What's the best size to get that is practical? My logs likely will be 18" in length.
I'm not sure how wide.

The larger units I'm seeing in Prime day have either 8'9" openings and seem to be in the 15-17" height range.

I'm guessing that is the size I'd want...? I've never had or used one before.

What do ya'll use?

Thank you in advance,
cayenne

Hi all,
Well, I'm perusing things on Amazon Prime day that I'll need for when my smoker gets here.

I just got a propane "weed burner" to help start fires....$39.

I'm now thinking about log splitters and good sledge hammer.

What's the best size to get that is practical? My logs likely will be 18" in length.
I'm not sure how wide.

The larger units I'm seeing in Prime day have either 8'9" openings and seem to be in the 15-17" height range.

I'm guessing that is the size I'd want...? I've never had or used one before.

What do ya'll use?

Thank you in advance,
cayenne

I use the Kindling Cracker XL and an Eastwing 3 lb hammer. Links below

https://www.amazon.com/Kindling-Cra...-1-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/Estwing-Stri...OV&keywords=3+lb+mallet&qid=1689084978&sr=8-5

Speaking as someone who has had a splitting wedge being shot back out of the log I was splitting and hitting me in the face, I would NOT recommend using a splitting wedge that requires being struck with sledge hammer. I do recommend using safety glasses when striking a metal hammer against any thing metal such as the Kindling Cracker unit posted above.

As for me, I use an eight pound splitting maul with a fiberglass handle. I do not recommend using the 16 pound monster maul with the metal hammer. That thing will beat you up with the heavy weight and the metal hammer will vibrate the he!! out of your hands.

Speaking as someone who has had a splitting wedge being shot back out of the log I was splitting and hitting me in the face, I would NOT recommend using a splitting wedge that requires being struck with sledge hammer. I do recommend using safety glasses when striking a metal hammer against any thing metal such as the Kindling Cracker unit posted above.

As for me, I use an eight pound splitting maul with a fiberglass handle. I do not recommend using the 16 pound monster maul with the metal hammer. That thing will beat you up with the heavy weight and the metal hammer will vibrate the he!! out of your hands.

Hmm..ok I'll go look up what a splitting maul is....
;)

Thanks! And now...more stuff

Hey, thank you VERY much!!

Ok, the spliter is $99.00...but not a prime day thing, so no rush to buy that.
BUT...the hammer IS on Prime Day sale...so, ordering that.

Thank you everyone!!!

Oh...I bought this:
Weed burner to start smoker wood:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BFHLRH4Y

I"m also still debating getting the shelf on my smoker....I figure this might work and should stand up to being outdoors...as a smoker side table:

24x36 SS table that stands about 3ft tall:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08JG3G1SD

Anyway....smoker still on track to come to me in Sept.

OOh...I need to look to buy that wood rack.....(back to amazon)

C

I do recommend using safety glasses when striking a metal hammer against any thing metal such as the Kindling Cracker unit posted above.

Also, if you're striking the Kindling Cracker with the hammer instead of striking the wood, you're using it wrong...although I might have accidentally hit the metal ring on my Kindling Cracker with the hammer a time or two, LOL. :)

I could be wrong but I think you have the wrong idea in your head of how the kindling cracker works. Your not hitting metal on metal. You hit small rounds or splits of wood that rest on the "blade" of the kindling cracker with the 3 LB hammer to make kindling.

I agree, if you want to split large rounds of wood, then yes I prefer the Fiskars 8 pound splitting maul. It's fantastic!

Hey, thank you VERY much!!

Ok, the spliter is $99.00...but not a prime day thing, so no rush to buy that.
BUT...the hammer IS on Prime Day sale...so, ordering that.

Thank you everyone!!!

Oh...I bought this:
Weed burner to start smoker wood:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BFHLRH4Y

I"m also still debating getting the shelf on my smoker....I figure this might work and should stand up to being outdoors...as a smoker side table:

24x36 SS table that stands about 3ft tall:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08JG3G1SD

Anyway....smoker still on track to come to me in Sept.

OOh...I need to look to buy that wood rack.....(back to amazon)

C

I think the Kindling Cracker was on sale at the $99 price. There is a smaller version that is around $79

Please stop me clicking on Amazon...

I think the Kindling Cracker was on sale at the $99 price. There is a smaller version that is around $79

I got the $99 one....and the hammer was on sale too as a Prime Day sale.

Ugh....I've already bought too much stuff.

I got stuff for anticipated smoker...AND...gear for harvesting and reusing yeasts from my home brewing activities....and other asst. toys.

I gotta stop clicking....ugh....hell, I still gotta find and buy WOOD and eventually meat to cook!!

;)

cayenne

I could be wrong but I think you have the wrong idea in your head of how the kindling cracker works. Your not hitting metal on metal. You hit small rounds or splits of wood that rest on the "blade" of the kindling cracker with the 3 LB hammer to make kindling.

I agree, if you want to split large rounds of wood, then yes I prefer the Fiskars 8 pound splitting maul. It's fantastic!

Yo AD, I admit I did not check out the link and after doing so, I now see that the hammer is striking wood and not metal so no safety glasses are needed. In my previous post I failed to mention that for small kindling or making heartwood chunks for my kettle or WSM, I use a hand ax/hatchet.

I did not know Fisdkaws made a splitting maul. I bet it is a good product as the scissors are top notch.

Yo AD, I admit I did not check out the link and after doing so, I now see that the hammer is striking wood and not metal so no safety glasses are needed. In my previous post I failed to mention that for small kindling or making heartwood chunks for my kettle or WSM, I use a hand ax/hatchet.

I did not know Fisdkaws made a splitting maul. I bet it is a good product as the scissors are top notch.

All good my man! Check out the Fiskars splitting maul when you get a chance

I think it's worth having a splitting wedge around unless you know you can get splits small enough to fit into your kindling cracker. I have the smaller version of the two and run into that problem a decent bit because I tend to source my wood from fallen trees/tree jobs. Usually in partial splits or rounds. Being able to break down larger than expected pieces into usable pieces for the cracker is a big boon. The upside is it you can still use your mauls and hammers for the job with only having to grab the wedge. It helps to have 2 wedges though for if one gets stuck on a particularly tough job (see knots). Also as the other fella mentioned, it's a good idea to wear glasses when splitting wood. Much cheaper to protect your eyes than to replace them.

I'd much prefer to do all my splitting on the cracker though. Whoever came up with the idea is a freaking genius. Way better than going at the problem with a splitting axe.

Now..I need wood.

I think it's worth having a splitting wedge around unless you know you can get splits small enough to fit into your kindling cracker. I have the smaller version of the two and run into that problem a decent bit because I tend to source my wood from fallen trees/tree jobs. Usually in partial splits or rounds. Being able to break down larger than expected pieces into usable pieces for the cracker is a big boon. The upside is it you can still use your mauls and hammers for the job with only having to grab the wedge. It helps to have 2 wedges though for if one gets stuck on a particularly tough job (see knots). Also as the other fella mentioned, it's a good idea to wear glasses when splitting wood. Much cheaper to protect your eyes than to replace them.

I'd much prefer to do all my splitting on the cracker though. Whoever came up with the idea is a freaking genius. Way better than going at the problem with a splitting axe.

Yeah...I got the XL...it just arrived yesterday.

NOW...all I gotta do is find someone that will sell and deliver me some WOOD!!

Ugh....so far, no good on that end....

C

Back