Newb seeking advice on memphis style ribs

dustydust

Found some matches.
Reaction score
Hi,

I want to make some memphis style ribs. What do I do?

A little background. I just got my WSM, and smoked 2 racks yesterday using the 3-2-1 method. The ribs had an unknown rub that was pre-applied at costco. The rub smelled great. I was smoking under a big time crunch, so I had to go with what was easiest for me. I believe I simmered them in apple juice a little too long(2 hrs) because the ribs were a bit too tender for my liking, some of the meat fell off the bone before I could take a bite. I'd really like to try some dry ribs. I'm interested in making memphis style ribs.

I found meathead's memphis dust recipe, the ingredients look tasty. Is anybody out there that has some good start to finish advice for killer memphis style ribs?

Thanks!

Sounds like you have a basic understanding of how to cook ribs if you're talking about the 3-2-1 method.

If you "simmered" them in apple juice, it sounds like you may have wrapped them in foil for that "2 hours"...

What type of ribs did you cook? St Louis? Baby Backs?

If cooking Baby Backs, I'd think more about a 2-1-1... or a 2-0.75-0.5, even... That should help with the mushy/fell off the bone issues.

You can always skip the middle number... and just cook the ribs without the "Texas Crutch" and see how that works for you.

Hope that'll give you some thoughts and ideas.

Best of luck!

Thanks!

Yea, I cooked St Louis style. They tasted great, I just think a dryer rib would be more to my liking. I'll try again without the simmering,foiling,apple juice part. I didn't know I could skip this part, is 4 hours enough?

275 for 4-4.5 hours should get you there no wrapping. Grind up some of your rub and sprinkle on as a finishing powder.

I never foil ribs and they always turn out great. St. Louis I cook around 275 for 4-5 hours. Never cook by time alone, use it as a guide to give you an idea of when they should be done. Then test them for tenderness. I like to user the toothpick test, others like to use the bend test.

I cook mine in a PBC, so cooking methods are best left to others, however......

The memphis dust recipe from amazing ribs is fantastic. I've converted several people into dry rib fans because of it. I apply the dust about an hour before I start cooking.

My take on Memphis ribs,slather with Valentinas hot sauce, Slap ya Momma with a little sugar and black pepper. Cooked at 275+ neked
DSCF0202.jpg

Yep. Full spares (But that's just me, trim at your discretion), just a good dry rub, no sauce, no mopping (Some might say a thin vinegar based mop at the very end after cooking but before serving with a sprinkle of a little more rub...) and no foiling. Sauce always on the side. Then again, there's a wet Memphis style too, but I won't go there...

Last edited:
I do SLC's at 275* for right around 4 hours. If I am cooking one or two racks, I'll foil for the third hour. If doing more than that, I just let them ride nekkid. Check them for good pull back around 3 hours in and start doing the bend test after about 3.5 hours.

Meathead's Memphis Dust rub is a big hit at our house on ribs, loins, fatties, etc.

Another vote here for Meatheads Memphis dust!
I've never wrapped ribs and they've always come out great! According to Meathead, putting apple juice, or other flavoring in the water pan is pointless as it does nothing for taste. There is also a discussion going on now about even using a water pan. I do use it, mostly because that's how I was taught. But it definitely helps to catch drips.
I also serve my ribs with Meatheads Kansas city BBQ sauce on the side.

Bludawg, those ribs look amazing!

I just got back from Costco with 3 racks of st. louis cut and a huge bag of drumsticks. I'm about to head to the store to get the remaining spices for Meathead's Memphis Dust.

Thanks very much for the help! I can't wait to smoke these suckers tomorrow. I'll post pictures!

Another vote here for Meatheads Memphis dust!
I've never wrapped ribs and they've always come out great! According to Meathead, putting apple juice, or other flavoring in the water pan is pointless as it does nothing for taste. There is also a discussion going on now about even using a water pan. I do use it, mostly because that's how I was taught. But it definitely helps to catch drips.
I also serve my ribs with Meatheads Kansas city BBQ sauce on the side.

I didn't add water to my water pan for my last (first) cook. In my investigation for rib recipes I've seen that lots of people advise against adding water. Instead they recommend adding washed playground sand to the water pan in order to increase the thermal mass with the intention of minimizing temperature fluctuations. I filled my pan up with extra river rock I had laying in a pile; it should have the same effect as the sand. I just put some tin foil on top of the rocks for the drippings to fall on. The rocks smell really nice and smokey now.

Back