Pulled Pork Finishing Sauce?

Keith's Famous Pulled Pork Finishing and Dipping Sauce

1 cup apple cider vinegar
1 cup catsup ( I use all natural- no corn syrup)
TB red pepper flakes
TS worstershire sauce
1/4 cup brown sugar
TS salt
TS cayenne pepper

Simmer after you make it and again before serving.

1/2 for the pull and half for sammies

Ok. Tried it out today...does not disappoint. Very good stuff!:clap:

Keith's Famous Pulled Pork Finishing and Dipping Sauce

1 cup catsup ( I use all natural- no corn syrup)
TB red pepper flakes
TS worstershire sauce
1/4 cup brown sugar
TS salt
TS cayenne pepper

Simmer after you make it and again before serving.

1/2 for the pull and half for sammies

Making a big batch of this right now. Really tempted to throw in some sriracha.

Making a big batch of this right now. Really tempted to throw in some sriracha.

Go for it...siracha is always in my fridge. You could put some siracha in the portion you reserve to spoon on the sammies also.

Go for it...siracha is always in my fridge. You could put some siracha in the portion you reserve to spoon on the sammies also.

I made an entire ketchup bottles worth (ended up using nearly a pint of cider vinegar). I decided to follow the recipe and try it as is first. Then see if I want to experiment with the leftovers with the next butt. Usually simple sauces like this are winners and adding stuff just takes away from it's charm. Looking forward to trying it this weekend.

I don't typically sauce my pulled pork, but put out a bottle of this for people to use as they see fit. Don't remember where I came across this exact concoction, but everyone seems to like it alot.

• 1.5 cup - distilled whilte vinegar
  • 2.0 tbsp - brown sugar
  • 1.5 tbsp - hot pepper sauce
  • 1.0 tbsp - salt
  • 2.0 tsp - cayenne pepper
  • 2.0 tsp - ground black pepper
  • 2.0 tsp - crushed red pepper flakes

Normal steps: Warm it to meld flavors, let it cool and bottle it up.

Lexington Barbecue #1
1 gallon water
1 qt. ketchup
1 qt. vinegar (amber 4% acidity)
10 oz sugar
8 oz salt
4 oz black pepper
4 oz crushed red pepper
Pinch of ground red pepper (cayenne)
Preparation: "Combine all ingredients into a 1.5 gallon stock pot and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Spoon the piping hot dip onto the prepared meat just prior to serving. This is a very thin sauce, but it is the same formula that has been used around here for generations." Allen Hege, Lexington Barbecue #1

This is the recipe from Lexington #1. Spices are in weight.

Eastern NC style?

Dennis Rogers Version
(Rogers is a popular columnist for the Raleigh News & Observer and self-proclaimed "Oracle of the Holy Grub".)
1 gallon cider vinegar
1/4 cup salt
2 tablespoon red pepper
3 tablespoon red pepper flakes
1 cup of firmly packed brown sugar or 1/2 cup molasses
Preparation: Mix them up together and let stand 4 hours.
This one is pretty good.

Good thing is....you can't go wrong with good cooked pork. Agree with earlier post that the dip should just be able to be tasted, then stop. It's all about the meat.

I made this tonight, sorta glaze-like but I think it was pretty good...
1/2 cup apple jelly
2 T apple cider vinegar
2 T butter
1 T rub (same rub I used on the pork)
1/2 cup liquid from the foiled pork (had apple juice and butter added when foiled)
Cayenne pepper to taste, for a little kick

Heat it all up to a simmer, brush on...

Last edited:
I use Emeril's recipe. It's VERY similar to Keith's Famous Pulled Pork Finishing and Dipping Sauce.

Barbecue Sauce:
1 cup ketchup
3 tablespoons packed dark brown sugar
1 tablespoon yellow mustard
1 tablespoon molasses
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper

In a bowl, combine all the ingredients and whisk well to dissolve the sugar. Place in a squeeze bottle and dress the pulled pork sandwiches to taste.

Yield: about 2 cups

I'm glad this thread is still going, put my first pork butt on the smoker this morning. Now to choose which sauce to use.

I'm glad this thread is still going, put my first pork butt on the smoker this morning. Now to choose which sauce to use.

Welcome and good luck! You may want to try a couple in smaller batches. You really can't go wrong, so many good ones in this thread.

I have a question about using a finishing sauce for pulled pork(any of the vinegar based ones listed here). Can I apply some after pulling then refrigerate and reheat the next day? My concern is will it make the pork mushy? Thanks for your advice and thanks for sharing your recipes!

[FONT=&quot]Big Daddy's Carolina Style Barbecue Sauce[/FONT]

Directions

1. Mix all except soy, butter and smoke. Simmer 30 minutes. Stir in remaining ingredients and simmer for 10 more minutes. Vinegar taste may be very strong until completely cooled. Refrigerating overnight is best and allows flavors to blend.
  2. Add a few drops of Louisiana Hot Sauce at the end if additional heat is desired.

[FONT=&quot]Big Daddy's Carolina Style Barbecue Sauce[/FONT]

Directions

1. Mix all except soy, butter and smoke. Simmer 30 minutes. Stir in remaining ingredients and simmer for 10 more minutes. Vinegar taste may be very strong until completely cooled. Refrigerating overnight is best and allows flavors to blend.
  2. Add a few drops of Louisiana Hot Sauce at the end if additional heat is desired.

Just so we're all clear...that would be a SOUTH Carolina sauce with the mustard. Tasty for sure, but mustard isn't in North Carolina style sauces. We have a lot of regional pride in our Q here as you might guess. :)

(Don't tell anyone but I occasionally make a similar sauce just to mix things up...)

I don't want to plagiarize or violate a copyright, but I must say the Carolina Vinegar sauce that was posted in Aaron Franklin's book was mighty tasty when I made it and slathered up a bunch of pulled pork.

These other recipes all sound great as well! Will have to bookmark and give them a try.

Here is one I like that I got from another that's pretty good. I would try it as is then adjust to your taste later. The Finishing Sauce I use is as follows:

1 Cup Cider Vinegar
2 Tablespoons Brown Sugar
1 Teaspoon Tony Chachere's Cajun Seasoning
1 Teaspoon Course Black Pepper
1 Teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes

Warm the Vinegar up enough so that it disolves the Sugar well. Then add the remaining ingredients.

I use it in one of those clear Ketchup bottles you can get from Wally World for about $0.99. Snip a little bit larger hole out of the spout with a pair of scissors. Once all your ingredients are mixed together, put your finger over the top, and shake vigorously.

Randomly squirt this over warm freshly pulled Pork, then kind of mix it up with gloved hands. This adds very little heat (despite the Red Pepper) and mellows out the stronger, gamier parts of the Shoulder. The Vinegar also helps break it down even more for some REAL juiicy pork.

Personally, I eat it just like that, but your guests can add whatever "Q sauce they prefer once it's on their plates or bun!

If you've never done Pulled Pork with a "Finishing Sauce" before, you're in for a real treat!!!! It's the secret ingredient that alot of Quer's don't know about, and part of the reason people at my 'Q Parties say "they've never had Pulled Pork that tasted this good, before!".

I don't really follow a recipe but I stick to a vinegar based sauce that is roughly
1.5 parts cider vinegar
1/2 part malt vinegar
1 part ketchup
About 1-1.5 tblsp coarse black pepper
a combination of brown sugar and molasses until it's sweet and tangy to taste
About a half a tsp of celery seeds
And some of my rub to add some salt
And maybe a squirt or two of mustard.
Warm it up to mix and serve on the side

I'm purely guessing on my measurements (one part equals about a cup based in regards to the rest of this recipe) I kinda out it together by taste, comes out slightly different each time based on what I have on hand

I have a question about using a finishing sauce for pulled pork(any of the vinegar based ones listed here). Can I apply some after pulling then refrigerate and reheat the next day? My concern is will it make the pork mushy? Thanks for your advice and thanks for sharing your recipes!

This question makes me wonder, because I always sauce after pulling and roughly chopping--and the meat does seem to be mushier when reheated. Maybe that's one reason why I can't stand to to reheat in any fashion but lightly and gingerly. Does anyone have any thoughts?

Back