Need some serious help with this weekends cook

ClintHTX

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Lunch is at 1 p.m Saturday. 13 lb brisket on stick burner. I like cooking low and slow but I'm open for other options. Family comes in from straight drive from Minnesota late Friday night to stay at in laws where party will be held. I wanted to haul my stick burner over there to cook while we are swimming drinking and having fun. But, with lunch being held at 1 p.m. That would mean I would have to haul it there Friday night and stay up cooking into early morning. Or doing hot and fast and get there early Saturday. What do you guys recommend? Or is there a better option.

Cook it Friday during the day then to let it rest for about 30 minutes vented -in the freezer to flash cool it but don't freeze it moved to the fridge leave it whole -warm it up in the oven Saturday whole

Last edited:
Haul it over Friday, and spend the night cooking. Do what you do in terms of the cook, cooking for company is never the time to try something new.

You can sleep when your dead, or Friday before you head over.

I am sure Bludawg will chime in, but you could do it KISS style and it should be done faster. Take the rig over at 5:00 am put it on by 6, done by noon, let it rest for an hour and you are done.

Haul it over Friday, and spend the night cooking. Do what you do in terms of the cook, cooking for company is never the time to try something new.

You can sleep when your dead, or Friday before you head over.

^^^Agree...
If you try hot and fast just know that it is not an exact science. Some times you just get a stubborn brisket and it takes a couple extra hours. Better to be done early and rest it 4 hours than be 2 hours late. I had one 2 weekends ago that hit the stall around 140. Didn't think it was ever going to get to 160-170ish so I could wrap it and I was cooking at 325-350. Checked the cooker temp with my Tel-Tru and Maverick so my temp was not the issue.

Go over early and get it on early. Then, about eleven, through a bunch of sausages on. If the brisket gets done on time, serve brisket and sausage. If not, let them snack on the sausage until the brisket is done...

I'm pretty much fine with trying anything. I just know how briskets cook. Want to somewhat be sure that it is done by 1 including rest time.

I wouldn't change the way you do things unless you are ok with an end product that you are not used to. I agree with Landarc. Unless you have an extra brisket you can throw on tomorrow and go hot and fast and see how you like it. You can always start it on your Weber with a 2 stack snake and finish it off on your stick burner:crazy:. I would just do what you are comfortable with.

I would be set up and cooking by 9 pm friday night. My brisket would come off with plenty of time to rest. and then be held until go time. Gotta love a good variety,...so I agree with Terry about having some sausage around. Might as well have a fatty and some abt's too!

EDIT:

Although,.. I will give a tip of the hat to smittyjonz. Never done that, but,.. it is worth consideration.

I am sure Bludawg will chime in, but you could do it KISS style and it should be done faster. Take the rig over at 5:00 am put it on by 6, done by noon, let it rest for an hour and you are done.
Agreed! I too like the low and slow approach, but have to say that this method rocks!

When i do brisket for lunch (and want my sleep) i do my hot and slow method.

Stick burner @275 friday night, wrap in paper when its ready (4-6hrs usually) and into an oven @225 for the rest of the night. Wake up early to check on it and adjust temps if needed.when its done give it a short rest and then wrap in foil and towels then stick it in a cooler and take with you to lunch.

It may be cheating but i say cheat to win, i would rather spend tine with my people than with my stick burner,

When i do brisket for lunch (and want my sleep) i do my hot and slow method.

Stick burner @275 friday night, wrap in paper when its ready (4-6hrs usually) and into an oven @225 for the rest of the night. Wake up early to check on it and adjust temps if needed.when its done give it a short rest and then wrap in foil and towels then stick it in a cooler and take with you to lunch.

It may be cheating but i say cheat to win, i would rather spend tine with my people than with my stick burner,

I've done something similar to this....smoked till I got color shut her down threw it in the oven overnight on low till it was done. Also, wonder if I could do that and haul my rig over to the house put it back on at same temp to continue forming my bark. (Wrapping in butcher paper) and while it's still cooking throw some sausage and ABTs.

If I were you I would sacrifice a little sleep deprivation in exchange for a brisket that you know will come out well by cooking it the way you're used to cooking it. You'd hate to try something new and it comes out wrong for your guest. At the end of the day you're cooking something you want them to enjoy so stick to your guns man! Buy a couple of red bulls and you'll be good to go. Good luck !

Brisket and comfortable normally doesn't go together in my book haha! But, if you cook a brisket no matter how you do it with constant temps and cooked till probe tender. Ideally it should come out good....right?

Back