THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Revelation

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
What are you guys using to kept your brisket warm after you pull it for maybe 8-10 hours ?
I’m going to the dark side and starting to cook on a offset stick burner.
I don’t want to stay up all night and feed the fire so I thought I would cook during the day then pull late that night and rest till lunch the next day.
My oven won’t go down to 140 and don’t know if a igloo will keep it that long.

Help !!! Thanks !!

You can buy a cheap used MES and mod it to use a temp controller. It's really simple if you feel comfortable cutting the wires and reconnecting them. You can search for a video and see if that's something you would like to do. I think you can get the controllers for about $150 or less so total cost is that plus however much you can find a cheap electric smoker for. Supposedly holds temps rock solid to +/- 3 degrees indefinitely.

You can buy a cheap used MES and mod it to use a temp controller. It's really simple if you feel comfortable cutting the wires and reconnecting them. You can search for a video and see if that's something you would like to do. I think you can get the controllers for about $150 or less so total cost is that plus however much you can find a cheap electric smoker for. Supposedly holds temps rock solid to +/- 3 degrees indefinitely.

My old MES30 goes as low as 100F and really doesn't need a pid controller to hold temps between 130F-140F swings, especially for just holding briskets or pork butts. Pretty sure temp swings were at most 15 degree's in the winter, even less in spring/fall.

Most of the turkey roasters only go down to 150. Isn’t that to hot for long rest ?

Actually i think for food safety reasons those turkey roasters don't go below 165F. That said, if left empty (no water) and using a rack to keep food off the bottom, you are probably looking at IT temps below 165F.

Most of the turkey roasters only go down to 150. Isn’t that to hot for long rest ?

150 is fine for an active hold

Actually i think for food safety reasons those turkey roasters don't go below 165F. That said, if left empty (no water) and using a rack to keep food off the bottom, you are probably looking at IT temps below 165F.

nope. roasters with an analog dial can go down below 140. I don't know anyone who adds water

Since I have it now, I'll be using a Cookshack electric smoker. Supposed to go down to 140°F. I don't normally hold for 12 hours though.

What I was using was my kitchen oven. I'd recalibrate it to get it below 170°F - it would do ±35°F, although 160-ish was about as low as I could get it to go reliably.

I tried using my oven that can be adjusted up to 35 degrees uo or down from set point but in reality, it was still too hot. I use a 23qt turkey roaster. It goes down to well below 140 if you want. I hold mine at 145-150

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

What quart roaster is ideal and will one hold two briskets??

My 22 qt looks tall enough to fit 2 briskets on top of each other. I am sure you can affix a wire rack so they're not touching.

That being said, I have not tried 2 briskets so YMMV.

Dumb question, but what is the difference between a MES and a roaster? Besides shape.

Because I've got a roaster that rarely gets used. I'm going to try this. And I suppose a guy could rig up a STC-1000 controller if you need to go lower, right?

What quart roaster is ideal and will one hold two briskets??

I have done two. They had to be stacked and I dont think it worked quite as well but did the job. With two briskets you have enough mass to towel and cooler for a pretty long time so for the rare time I do 2 briskets I usually do that
Dumb question, but what is the difference between a MES and a roaster? Besides shape.

Because I've got a roaster that rarely gets used. I'm going to try this. And I suppose a guy could rig up a STC-1000 controller if you need to go lower, right?

I'm guessing an mes is a master built electric smoker.

I think the roaster works well because the confined space gets so humid. In a larger cooker I would probably wrap and then put in a pan and cover....I dunno never tried it.

I have the exact same one. Worked great for me. I stuck an ambient temperature probe in there to really dial it in.

For me it certainly went to 145-150. Again, ymmv.

Last edited:
Back