How are you cooking your turkey this year?

Fwismoker

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
The way I see it here are your choices.

Rotisserie- direct or indirect
Roast indirect- oven, offset, kamodo, wsm etc...
Deep fry
Oil- less fryer
Kettle- usually mix of direct/indirect
UDS- direct or indirect
Hanging turkey

Then you have to decide spatchcock or no spatchcock.

With lots of choices how's your bird getting cooked this year?

My choice is 1 or 2 roti turkeys direct and 1 or 2 turkeys spatchcocked direct.

Using the Big Easy, turns out a great bird, no more oil for me!!

Brine
Inject with clarified butter
Remove skin and meat glue bacon in place
Smoke

Same as always, going to deep fry a whole bird and smoke a breast or two on the offset.

Got a 25 lber going in the Shirley along with a Ham. Frying a 15lber also. Both birds I will brine in Game Changer Brine and inject with butter. Will rub the big bird with some kind of rub....either yard bird, Oakridge Game Bird, or might order some of the Venison and Game Rub (hear it's great on Turkey).

I'm cooking two birds. Planning to hang both in the PBC over Stubbs charcoal with maple and peach chunks.

The question is spatchcock or not. I just received the new pbc turkey hangers but I haven't had a chance to try them out yet.

15-18# bird, spatchcocked, seasoned and roasted in the oven at 400F on a bed of veggies on a half sheet pan.

I'm cooking two birds. Planning to hang both in the PBC over Stubbs charcoal with maple and peach chunks.

The question is spatchcock or not. I just received the new pbc turkey hangers but I haven't had a chance to try them out yet.
Well spatchcocking for hanging will be the same as hanging two halves but it will look better for your meal presentation if you're concerned with that. You should be able fit in larger birds (one on each rod) by spatching and they should cook more even also.

I'm hoping to beer can a couple chickens over some pecan smoke and skip turkey, it tastes terrible no matter how its made.

Edit: Forgot to add, you can beer can a turkey too, that great Australian beer, Fosters, will slide in nicely.

Toaster oven, I'm gettin a Hungryman Turkey Dinner & homemade apple pie fer desert.
Awe Blu your gonna go start a trend.:-D Thanks for the chuckle!

I will probably do about a 15lb-er on the offset with a few breasts for backup.
Has anyone ever smoked a pumpkin pie on an offset?

It can be done custard bases soak up smoke like a sponge so make sure you're running super clean

I think I'm going equilibrium brine and then get them in the Humphreys after I take out my brisket. Start em upside down on a bed of mirepoix and stock. Flip em after an hour or so. Take the veggies and juices and make some killer smoked gravy.

Big Easy but this time brine & inject & pull when about 155 & tent & hope it comes up ti 165 ...

Back