Pork steak first try

okiej

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Rubbed with EVOO and Montreal steak seasoning. Went indirect for a while then reverse sear. Served with mash taters, chicken gravy, and fried okra. pulled at about 145f. Tasted great but the steaks were a little tough. I think I would cook longer next time. Meat never did release from the bone as in a normal pulled pork cook.

Attachments

• 014.jpg
    014.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 245
  • 016.jpg
    016.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 245
  • 019.jpg
    019.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 243
  • 020.jpg
    020.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 244
  • 021.jpg
    021.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 244
pork steaks are one of my go to favorites. i like the idea of indirect then sear but i always cook mine direct over extremely hot coals. how long did you cook indirect before you went to sear?

Not long. They set on the kitchen counter for about an hour then I cooked indirect for maybe 15 minutes. Then seared to about 145. They were thin, maybe 3/4-1 inch. I put the left overs back on the grill and they did seem to become more tender but were starting to dry out at 190-205. Might have been ok if whole.

On the next cook, remove those bricks. You want the heat to hit em from the bottom too. Also, I'll cook em a little closer to the heat and just turn a little more often. Look good to me!

I'd hit em!

Bob

man those things look plenty good!!! i would tear into those with no silverware!

I think people get confused with pork steaks.
Yes, they're from the boston butt, but you shouldn't expect them to pull cleanly from the bone unless you cook them just like a boston butt.

A beef steak will pull cleanly from the bone too if you cooked it low and slow so all of the collagen and connective tissue renders out. But THEN it's not a steak any more....it's pulled beef. When you eat a grilled T-bone or Porterhouse, the meat sticks to the bone. Same with pork steaks.

Just like with most cuts of meat...cooking them until just done but still juicy yields one result. Cooking more will often yield tough and dry meat. Cooking even MORE will allow connective tissue and collagen to break down, again giving you a moist and very tender result. This depends, of course, on which cut it is. If you cook a boneless pork loin chop to 200 IT, it'll be leather, but that's because it's a very lean cut. A pork steak isn't.

If you're expecting pulled pork consistency out of a grilled pork steak, you're not gonna get it.

I think those look and sound perfect!

As said, I like to also grill mine direct and just keep flipping and turning them until the internal temp is reached.

Those look pretty darn good to me, I like to start them indirect for a few minutes and then sear them off.

Looks tasty though! 175..maybe 180 on a slow cook you'll see the juices release and really tenderize...give that a try next time. Think pork butt.

I think people get confused with pork steaks.
Yes, they're from the boston butt, but you shouldn't expect them to pull cleanly from the bone unless you cook them just like a boston butt.

A beef steak will pull cleanly from the bone too if you cooked it low and slow so all of the collagen and connective tissue renders out. But THEN it's not a steak any more....it's pulled beef. When you eat a grilled T-bone or Porterhouse, the meat sticks to the bone. Same with pork steaks.

Just like with most cuts of meat...cooking them until just done but still juicy yields one result. Cooking more will often yield tough and dry meat. Cooking even MORE will allow connective tissue and collagen to break down, again giving you a moist and very tender result. This depends, of course, on which cut it is. If you cook a boneless pork loin chop to 200 IT, it'll be leather, but that's because it's a very lean cut. A pork steak isn't.

If you're expecting pulled pork consistency out of a grilled pork steak, you're not gonna get it.

I think those look and sound perfect!

As said, I like to also grill mine direct and just keep flipping and turning them until the internal temp is reached.
Listen to Wampus. He has it down on pork steak.

Listen to Wampus. He has it down on pork steak.

Yes, very true.....but you can get them pretty tenderized.....

I hit them with a fork or Jaccard-style puncture tool, then marinate in stuff, then grill up......seems to loosen them up just enough.....

Those look great just the way you did them up.....juicy!!!!

Those are very nice looking pork steaks. :thumb:

I did some yesterday myself. I did a beer-brine for about two hours seasoned with salt, garlic, onion, sugar, chili powder and pepper. Prior to grilling, I drained the brine and then seasoned with salt, pepper, and garlic.

I did a quick sear over medium-high heat: two minutes, turn 45 degrees, one minute, flip, one minute, turn 45 degrees, one minute, then five minutes indirect and done.

Juicy, perfect crusty char and tender with awesome flavor.

Those look great to me. I have four pork ribeyes to go on the grill soon. I go indirect to about 115*, then sear them on the upside down GrillGrates, and hit them with a little thinned Stubb's Spicy right before I pull them off around 140*.

Just finished up my ribeyes...

Attachments

• IMG_3411.jpg
    IMG_3411.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_3413.jpg
    IMG_3413.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_3414.jpg
    IMG_3414.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 39
I agree w/ all about the frequent flipping on the shoulder steaks - yours look wonderful.
I pick them up and eat them w/ my hands....
And THoey, you should make a thread - yours looks really nice as well!

Thanks. I wasn't even going to take pictures except for this thread. They were "alright"... :wink:

I had to finish up a couple pork steaks out of a grocery family pack. These weren't very thick and had some thin spots so in a case like this i'll only cook it to 170's area in the thinner spots with the thicker spots maybe ending up in the 160's.

I cooked these on the rotisserie maybe 350 on the low end to the hottest 750. Very juicy and tender.

Pork steaks are my favorite. I never had them 'til I met my wife. If I'da cooked 'em for my old man before he died, he'd would have never let my mom buy pork chops again.

Back