My first Tomahawk steak

great steak ron

My wife almost bought me a Tomahawk around fathers day. I am glad she didn't. Hear me out.......

Boneless ribeye's go on sale for $6/lb ( i actually have like 20 1-1/2 inch ribeye's in the freezer) Anyway, At $15+/lb your paying for that huge bone. I bet that bone weighs almost a pound!
Unless you plan on eating that entire steak with no knife or fork, just holding onto that bone, i don't even see the experience of it.

he only paid $15 for the whole steak. bone or not thats a deal. and it was only 12/lbs to begin with. highly doubt that bone weights 1 lbs....probably half that or less. tomahawks I see are always priced less than their boneless counterparts from the same store so its almost a wash anyway. besides it just looks awesome. not everyone is as frugal as you....do I need to go on

My wife almost bought me a Tomahawk around fathers day. I am glad she didn't. Hear me out.......

Boneless ribeye's go on sale for $6/lb ( i actually have like 20 1-1/2 inch ribeye's in the freezer) Anyway, At $15+/lb your paying for that huge bone. I bet that bone weighs almost a pound!
Unless you plan on eating that entire steak with no knife or fork, just holding onto that bone, i don't even see the experience of it.

Agreed...

I’ve bought them and cooked them, and no doubt they are cool to see on the platter, but I decided they are worth the added expense...

Awesome price and cook Ron!

Great cook Ron! I still haven't done a tomahawk but, that is truly some inspiration. Nice to find such a deal and it had some nice marbling too. Whenever I find cheap ribeyes they are marbled like a round steak :wink:

That looks really good, better than my result last night.

I was at Costco and they had some Tomahawks and I debated buying them but it is difficult to cook even one much less both of them for just my wife and I. They need to be available when I am entertaining. I had reversed grilled them on my LYNX propane before and they turned out great.

After passing on the Tomahawks I went to my local butcher and bought a 1.61 pound 1 ½ inch thick prime bone-in ribeye and tried a reverse sear starting with my new MAK and finishing on the LYNX infrared burner.

I have the propane down and rarely even check temperature, I just have a sense but followed a couple online directions and used a probe and a Thermapen One and all went well except the searing. The Ribeye turned out just a smidge overdone but more than acceptable. Seems the recommended time per side for searing was too much on an infrared burner. The next time it will be perfect.

Attachments

• Ribeye_sear.jpg
    Ribeye_sear.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 56
I have never in my life seen a boneless ribeye for $6/lb.
Around here in Missouri they're running $15/lb at the slaughterhouse and
close to $18/lb. in the grocery stores. And try $23/lb. in the specialty meat markets.

Great job and yes a great price! At $14.42 for a 2.92 lb steak that's about $4.94 per lb. Even if the bone weighs 1/2 lb that's still about $5.96 a pound.

That's some good information right there, if I do say so myself. Not as impressive as my legendary hotdog cook, but pretty good all the same.

Last edited:
Great job and yes a great price! At $14.42 for a 2.92 lb steak that's about $4.94 per lb. Even if the bone weighs 1/2 lb that's still about $5.96 a pound.

That's some good information right there, if I do say so myself. Not as impressive as my legendary hotdog cook, but pretty good all the same.

With every bite, I was still thinking about those hotdogs.

Looks great from over here!.......I watch for them to go on sale and will cook a couple a year. The bad part for me is it doesn't make much sense as my wife insists on medium well, so we'd have to cook two, lol. No way I can take down one by myself. :loco:

Back