Bovine Experimentations: Burnt Ends? Burnt steak?

jasonjax

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I had been thinking about how different cuts of beef might do for "burnt ends". Most of us have heard of the poor mans burnt ends using chuck instead of brisket, which I've tried and didn't think it was all that great, so I thought I might try some other cuts of beef.

Went to Costco and picked up one of my favorite steaks these days, prime sirloins and figured why not grab some NY strips also.

Hk2lUk6l.jpg

I cubed up three of the strips and four of the sirloins into burnt end sized chunks.

cXxDRTil.jpg

They got a good dusting of SPG and The BBQ Rub from Killer Hogs.

MLOxTDJl.jpg

Onto the pellet cooker for about 4 hours. 2 hours low temp for smoke and then up to 275.

NT9DNipl.jpg

Little minor's beef broth with some wosty sauce for a good braise back on the smoker for a couple more hours.

CNlV4Knl.jpg

And since I'm experimenting anyways... I tossed them in a little beef tallow based on the recent Aaron Franklin thread as well as some Granny's BBQ sauce.

0zV1FBJl.jpg

After a couple more hours on the smoker wrapped they looked pretty good.

3mcTlH2l.jpg

We were having "Mexican Night" so I melted some queso and put it on a tortilla.

HvhSCJSl.jpg

So the results..... meh.

I won't do it again. It taste good, but the texture of brisket burnt ends wasn't there, and I couldn't help but think, "This would have made a great steak if I hadn't cooked it into oblivion."

The good news is I cooked Chili Colorado for the first time ever from scratch the next day and the meat did very well in that recipe.

It was a fun experiment none the less!

way to little fat in those steaks. you might try with a chuck roast.

Brisket burnt ends are great -obviously.
Chuck roast 'burnt ends' are excellent.
Pork belly and pork butt 'burnt ends' are also great.

I've made ribeye 'burnt ends' as well when cooking a whole ribeye roast. Once cooked, cut off end piece on both sides and cube. They were excellent. Obviously they are only cooked to about medium. In reality they are in no way 'burnt ends'. But they are cubed and pack a flavor punch so what the hell, ribeye burnt ends :-D (I know I'm going to get abuse for this)

I've done hot dog burnt ends as well, those are fun.

Need to try pork butt burnt ends again, didn't work so well the first time.

I've made burnt ends from short ribs that were pretty darn good.
HpQxe4Q.jpg

I've also smoked bologna, cubed, sauced and glazed it and for laughs called them baloney burnt ends. Made the same thing from fatties that were cubed.
dD3Gp1o.jpg

Short rib burnt ends sounds like a potential winner!

I have often wondered about using other beef cuts for burnt ends, thanks for the post!

sometimes i buy a bunch of stew meat on sale and separate out the fatty pieces to be skewered and smoked

Back