TX Folks will laugh at me but...

BGEChicago

is one Smokin' Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
none
Last month I had a business meeting in Texas, I'm near Chicago, A couple days before I was to depart my wife asked me for the flight information only to tell her I was driving, she just about lost her mind. So I set off for the drive, Yeti in the trunk of the rental loaded with 45 Lbs of Ice, had meetings then off to the holy beef grail, HEB Points and Brisket a plenty. Walked out with 6 whole packers and 8 points. After cooking the first burnt ends point she thanked me.

Points are near impossible to get here in IL. I look forward to my next Texas visit! Not to mention The Bucky-Yees Beaver Nuggets are amazing
!

Attachments

• 20240119_133326.jpg
    20240119_133326.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 355
  • 20240126_174727.jpg
    20240126_174727.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 354
Last edited:
as someone who frequently does the Alabama to IL/WI border drive and brings a plug-in cooler so I can buy a bunch of stuff to bring back with me (mostly cheeses and deli meats from Tenuta's Italian grocery in Kenosha, WI - if ever in the area I recommend this place highly) I completely sympathize with what you are doing. Fortunately I dont have a problem getting ribs/butts/briskets here (sam's club and local stores). but the drive is worth it to have access to things you can't get locally for a good price

FTR - I also bring back a ton of beer/wine/liquor as well, especially spotted cow. :D

I have a buddy who has a cattle ranch outside of San Antonio and raises Piedmontese beef cattle. I came through TSA with a couple pairs of shorts and shirts and then 45lbs of frozen beef in my luggage. TSA flagged me and pulled me aside and then started laughing when I said you can’t get beef like this back in Chicago. Hahaha. You gotta do what you gotta do!

as someone who frequently does the Alabama to IL/WI border drive and brings a plug-in cooler so I can buy a bunch of stuff to bring back with me (mostly cheeses and deli meats from Tenuta's Italian grocery in Kenosha, WI - if ever in the area I recommend this place highly) I completely sympathize with what you are doing. Fortunately I dont have a problem getting ribs/butts/briskets here (sam's club and local stores). but the drive is worth it to have access to things you can't get locally for a good price

FTR - I also bring back a ton of beer/wine/liquor as well, especially spotted cow. :D

HAHA Tennuta's I grew up less than 4 miles from there, next trip I highly suggest Ron's place and get the 5X5 or if your not in the mood for big hamburgers, head a little west to the Brat Stop. While your there if you need cheese go to Mars Cheese Factory..... It's a small world!

I have a buddy who has a cattle ranch outside of San Antonio and raises Piedmontese beef cattle. I came through TSA with a couple pairs of shorts and shirts and then 45lbs of frozen beef in my luggage. TSA flagged me and pulled me aside and then started laughing when I said you can’t get beef like this back in Chicago. Hahaha. You gotta do what you gotta do!

I'd like to try that, I am a true believer that food taste like where it came from or that environment where it was raised in. Midwest beef is usually grain and corn fed from calf to slaughter, the entire 16 to 25 months. Texas beef is different, the flavor profile is different, it's similar to northern beef but it (to me) is a little bit better. I (hand to god) am not a foodie or a snob but we get our bagels from New York and now are getting our beef from Texas. I still shop at Aldi and visit Salvation Army :icon_smile_tongue:

HAHA Tennuta's I grew up less than 4 miles from there, next trip I highly suggest Ron's place and get the 5X5 or if your not in the mood for big hamburgers, head a little west to the Brat Stop. While your there if you need cheese go to Mars Cheese Factory..... It's a small world!

I lived in Zion as a young un and after school and got married lived in antioch. friend of mine owns Rustic Road brewery. I'm a big fan of the 5x5, used to spend a lot of time at Brewmasters as well when they were still open.

edit to add - I'm goin up there the week of Mar 25th for work (team meetings in the office down in Waukegan) and my wife already has a shopping list for me at Tenuta's. Sons have a liquor list for me as well, several cases of spotted cow coming back with me. :mrgreen::mrgreen:

Last edited:
Good on you BGEChicago!

I've done a couple 1K mile road trips in 24 hours states away to pick up a used smoker. Both those smokers I picked up states away are long gone with new owners. Do I regret it? Absolutely not! Hitting the open road with no real pressure and just enjoying life makes it that much more sweeter! Even if it doesn't make sense! Sometimes not making sense makes the most sense!

Love the story!

I lived in Zion as a young un and after school and got married lived in antioch. friend of mine owns Rustic Road brewery. I'm a big fan of the 5x5, used to spend a lot of time at Brewmasters as well when they were still open.

edit to add - I'm goin up there the week of Mar 25th for work (team meetings in the office down in Waukegan) and my wife already has a shopping list for me at Tenuta's. Sons have a liquor list for me as well, several cases of spotted cow coming back with me. :mrgreen::mrgreen:

Can I ask you age? Did we go to high school together? I graduated in 1989

I've done similar on many a work road trip. On this one my big plan is to stop at a Costco Business Center on the trip home, so cooler is loaded in the back of the rental.

I take a large cooler with me every time I visit my son in Pearland TX just to fill it with meat from HEB. They always have a great selection of brisket and have really big beef ribs that I cannot find anywhere around here. They have a lot of items that are their own brand that are better and cheaper than the name brand stuff. The Super HEB (I think that is what they call them) stores make the best chips for dipping that I have ever had fresh every day.

Back