Corned Burnt Ends ?????

ModelMaker

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Neighbor farm gal behind us dropped off two corned beef flats (post St. Paddys day) $2.50 lb. one for me and one for her. The "Boys" are coming for Easter and asked if I could make some "Burnt Ends" with them.
I'll plan on a healthy two day soak, and 6+ hour snake in the performer chunked at 165* sealed up in alum. tray till soft, 2 hrs.?
Any thoughts?
Ed

You have my attention!

I'd be more inclined to use the point, but you gotta use what ya got.

I've got a flat in the freezer, so if it turns our, I may have to copy your idea!

I've always wondered if I cut a flat in "strips", if they would all turn into "ends".

Would shorten the cook time.

I'm not talking 1" strips, more like 3-4" across and the full length of the brisket.

Not your experiment though, you need to go with your tried and true method!

Pastrami Burnt Ends. Sounds tasty to me. At least it's made out of brisket.

Better than pork belly - chuck - hot dog - etc. - etc.

Burnt ends are beef! /RANT

Can't say I've ever made corned beef BEs, but I've cut pastrami into cubes and called them BEs. Really good by the way.

wPC6QML.jpg

when I read the title of this thread I thought it was a wacky idea about burnt ends made from corn...I need to lay off the weed

Pastrami Burnt Ends. Sounds tasty to me. At least it's made out of brisket.

Better than pork belly - chuck - hot dog - etc. - etc.

Burnt ends are beef! /RANT

I will follow with my own rant.

Smoking corned beef does not make it pastrami. Pastrami has set spices.
If you're not adding those spices, it is simply smoked corned beed.

It is kind of like the square/rectangle relationship.

All pastrami is made of smoked corned beef.
But not all smoked corned beef is pastrami.

/RANT

You have my attention!

I'd be more inclined to use the point, but you gotta use what ya got.

I've got a flat in the freezer, so if it turns our, I may have to copy your idea!

I have two flats in the freezer for next weekend, I think.
Now I wish one was a point.

Well, finally got around to it. Planned on cooking Saturday before Easter. Got the Performer set up Fri night (3/4 around, three deep, hand full of Pecan chunks) and am going to put meat on around 10:30 hoping to hit probe tender around 4.
A little ugly fat removal from cap and tidying up here and there. A heavy coat of HartBurn Competition rub cause it's a big piece of meat and it can take it. If there's any left for Brisky samiches, I'm sure it will smell delisyous!

Got everybody settled in place, ready for a long bake.

Oh wait, It's lunch time and I have some Krappys that would love to be a taco. Delisyous!

Buns for Sunday Ham dinner.

6 hours in, probe tender, but not BE tender, (no fat, remember)? Still the 40% loss in size, they look pretty miserable.

After cubing, I dropped in a pan with some beef broth and where's your sister sauce to braise till BE tender. Never gonna get there. I don't think cured brisket flat will ever get BE tender.

Also like I said earlier, a two day soak with at least 7 water changes, it was still quite salty.
So that's my story and I'm good with it, I do have a raw point in the freezer, Maybe for the 4th.
Ed

I will follow with my own rant.

Smoking corned beef does not make it pastrami. Pastrami has set spices.
If you're not adding those spices, it is simply smoked corned beed.

It is kind of like the square/rectangle relationship.

All pastrami is made of smoked corned beef.
But not all smoked corned beef is pastrami.

/RANT

Well ackchully...pastrami is old world stuff. It predates anything we call corned beef. I've also read about duck pastrami. It's been awhile, I'm going to have to read up on the subject again.

Back