[SF] Cracked firebox/paint - need advice

The welder who made the repair was beyond impressed with the build quality on the smoker. After he cut out the original weld, he said (and I'm going to try to get this right) that there was no poricity in the weld or metal, so the defect was basically a complete fluke.

He took about 45 minutes to make the repair, and spent another 45 minutes admiring the cooker and asking questions.

As you can see, the welds aren't as pretty as the stacks of dimes the Shirleys lay down on these, but I'm glad to have it fixed.

The repair work pics:
Isn't it nice to pass on an example of good craftsmanship to those who can benefit from it?

Shirley Fabrication..true class act.
I built my own Reverse Flow. Will be building another one. This time I will not be grinding any welds down...might welds are supposed to be lumpy lol...

Shirley Fabrication

I sure wish you would have contacted me or Tyler 1st ... The weld was a corner to corner fit where a filet weld would have been the weld... It should have had plenty of penetration to allow the weld to be finished off with a flapper wheel or tiger paw... What happened from what I see.... Is either the weld did not have complete penetration... Or the joint was not a true corner to corner fit... That skin is 1/4 inch thick material... If the joint was preped correct there should have been not been an issue....0ne of our younger or new guy could have done it... But I assure you that we are human and are not perfect.. Saying that we would not have let it go out if there was any question about it in our minds... It is max a 1hr repair... Easily done... Any cost occured I will absolutely cover.... I just wish you had given me the opportunity to talk about this to you personally 1st because with any power in me I am going to make it right if I have to come and do it myself?

Please contact me or Tyler... I am not even sure who this is.. Thx

This is one of the reasons why I have a 24x65 straight back cabinet on order with the Shirley's

the world is back in balance now that the SF is back to providing Q for fellow military folk.

Congrats Bri on getting your smoker complete again! I'm waiting for a reply back from Shirley Fab on pricing as we speak. Reading this thread is reinforcing my love for their smoker.

Back