THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Teebody

Got Wood.
A few years ago I smoked a frozen Turduken from a local market. It was OK but I could see that there was room for improvement. Does anyone butcher their own or have suggestions on a commercial product that is made with love and not too hard on the budget? I have also seen a variation of it with the whole Turduken stuffed in a boneless pig, anyone ever cooked one of those?

I've done a turduckin once, bought the three items and made it myself, it wasn't that hard to do honestly, however, I did butterfly the duck/chicken as I couldn't figure out how to bone them without doing so.

I used a wild rice between the layers which worked really well, slightly cooked at fill time.

I have pictures but not with me..

I do at least half a dozen turducken's every holiday from Thanksgiving to Christmas

Lots of work .I debone all three bird's ,then stuff a Whole Duck in the Cavity of Turkey ,then stuff the Chicken in the Duck.Also put fresh Cranberry's between all.Thereforee,get all 3 meat's in each slice .

I get good money for doing this every year, same ole folk's.

I do at least half a dozen turducken's every holiday from Thanksgiving to Christmas

Lots of work .I debone all three bird's ,then stuff a Whole Duck in the Cavity of Turkey ,then stuff the Chicken in the Duck.Also put fresh Cranberry's between all.Thereforee,get all 3 meat's in each slice .

I get good money for doing this every year, same ole folk's.

where do u get a duck? ull have to let me know when you do this...id like to come over and see how exactly one debones raw birds

I love turducken, but remember it comes from TX/LA where people hunt a lot. My thought about it is that folks from rural LA probably thought turkey was dry and boring.

First ran across this when I was in school in LA and loved it--but I've always liked duck.

If you like duck, turducken is great as it makes the turkey more interesting. If you don't like duck I'd pass.

I have done a few Turduckens and am asked every year to do another. They are a LOT of work however they are very good. I don't think you have to like duck to enjoy this as the duck just adds a small great addition to the taste but is not in anyway over powering or overly distinguishable in the end product. "You Tube" is a great source for learning how to de-bone the birds and there are a number of good recipes if you Goggle. I enjoy a Cajun type recipe that includes three dressings; traditional cornbread, shrimp dressing and a third one that maybe utilizes mushrooms and pine nuts. It will put a purchased Turducken to shame. Good luck!!!

Back