Comp. burnt ends

arb023

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
For those of you that turn in burnt ends, when you make your initial slices into the point - cutting them into strips, are you slicing with the grain and then cubing or against the grain and then cubing? I'm not sure it if matters, just curious. I've done it both ways and I think I prefer the initial slices with the grain.

I cut against the grain initially. Not sure how much it matters, but it's the way we've always done it.

deadmen.jpg

What do you know about a plane that's arrived with a bunch of Germermans on it? Germerm... Germans. Germermans. There's a plane with mermans on it. The plane's in town. Ethel Merman came in on it. Wanna go see Ethel Merman with me? I'll buy two tickets. Let me get on my pajamas, I'll be ready to go

If they're a bit overdone, your only hope of getting them in cube form with a manual knife is to go against the grain with the first cut while holding the rest of the quivering mass of jello together with your non-cutting hand. Otherwise you'll end up with a nice plate of pulled brisket.

Since mine generally trend more toward over than under, that's how I always start cutting. YMMV with electric knives, properly-cooked briskets, and the like.

I go with the grain, then cube against the grain. Given the results, you might want to try the opposite :)

Back