Turn in question

Smokin Ribs

is one Smokin' Farker
Has anyone turned in ribs in a competition that weren't sauced? I'm just not a fan of sauced ribs and thinking of turning in without.

No sauce, just salt & pepper?

If every contestant turns in unsauced meat, they all tie for first place.

Sauce wins tournaments.

I don't know if I would turn in something so different than the judges are accustomed to when it could affect your entire score, but during the "one meat" contests that are a part of several comps these days, I would absolutely give them something to pique their interest.

It's not the best meat that wins competitions, it's the meat the best meets the judges expectations. I've not heard of any competition where an unsauced meat won anything. But, I also don't follow the competition circuit.

I've been judging for 14 years and can count on one hand the number of non-sauced ribs I've seen in turn-in boxes. However, I do recall that 2 of the non-sauced rib entries scored very high. And speaking of sauces, I have only seen 1 mustard sauce on ribs.

Hey Wayne, Any recollection on how those sauce less ribs scored on appearance? I have always been of the opinion that if the appearance looks different than what the judges are used to seeing, appearance scores can be less than high than a "normal" looking entry would score. This lower appearance score can also make it difficult for the entry to score higher scores on taste/tendersness that it may or not deserve due to the mind set of the judges that are already influenced by the appearance score of the entry. As the old expression goes, we eat with our eyes first.

One bit of contest cooking advice I was given years ago was this. It is better to not offend any of the judges than it is to impress only four of the judges.

I have judged non-sauced meat of all four categories, not often but it happens.
The deal is judges are not to have any expectations of what they would like to see in the box! The cook team spends much money and time in creating his own excellent box and they deserve the chance to have each box scored evenly and fairly.
If I encounter a judge not following KCBS rules and procedures, "hey no sauce, where's the burnt ends, should have added more than just six ribs, I will speak to them after cards are in and if there is any rebuttal such as "but that's the way I do it, I will go straight to the Rep and rat them out.
Do it right or get out.
Ed

Hey Wayne, Any recollection on how those sauce less ribs scored on appearance? I have always been of the opinion that if the appearance looks different than what the judges are used to seeing, appearance scores can be less than high than a "normal" looking entry would score. This lower appearance score can also make it difficult for the entry to score higher scores on taste/tendersness that it may or not deserve due to the mind set of the judges that are already influenced by the appearance score of the entry. As the old expression goes, we eat with our eyes first.

One bit of contest cooking advice I was given years ago was this. It is better to not offend any of the judges than it is to impress only four of the judges.

My recollection would have been at least 8s on appearance.

It's interesting you mentioned entry styles that judges are used to seeing. My initial CBJ Handbook was from 2008 and my instructor was Ed Roith, who was very thorough. For appearance scoring (after the legal observations), he stressed eye appeal and how appetizing an entry looked to you. "Does an entry make you want to dig in right now?" "Does an entry make you want to dig in, and look so good you wish you could share it with your family?".

Let's use chicken appearance as an example.... for judges, there is no scoring consideration for how identical the samples are, or how full the box is, or seeing brush marks on the sauce, or sauce on the inside of the lid, or how high they sit in the box atop a putting green of parsley, but cooks work on all of those things. And obviously their appearance scores reflect that extra work.

I personally think the J-CUP online training was well done, and the various slides did a good job of explaining the items that are "no consideration" for appearance judging.

"Let's use chicken appearance as an example.... for judges, there is no scoring consideration for how identical the samples are, or how full the box is, or seeing brush marks on the sauce, or sauce on the inside of the lid, or how high they sit in the box atop a putting green of parsley, but cooks work on all of those things. And obviously their appearance scores reflect that extra work."

I agree 99.9%, The one exception is brush marks are a deductible situation for an appearance score.
Ed

Sorry about the late reply - I'm not ion the forum nearly as much as I use to be. As for Hill City, I have hung up my competition gloves (latex, of course) because of the high cost and how beat I was after long nights of cooking. It sure was fun, though.

I would have sent this via a private message but had trouble.

Sorry about the late reply - I'm not ion the forum nearly as much as I use to be. As for Hill City, I have hung up my competition gloves (latex, of course) because of the high cost and how beat I was after long nights of cooking. It sure was fun, though.

I would have sent this via a private message but had trouble.

That's understandable for sure. Judges in this area are impacted too since there is quite a distance between events especially the ones in Montana,

Back