Fix my Ribs

CaptainQ

Knows what a fatty is.
Name or Nickame
Azore
I typically smoke ribs between 250 and 275. They are usually tender but not FOB. They are also juicy and have a good flavor profile. The color though is darker than I would prefer. I'd love to have that beautiful mahogany color that you see on all the TX restaurants' social media accounts. These are sauced up due to my wife and daughters preference, but you can get the idea.

I'll usually smoke around 3+ hrs then wrap with the standard goo. We usually unwrap and eat. Occasionally I'll sauce and put back on the smokier for a bit.
Other times rather than wrapping with honey, brown sugar, etc, I'll just wrap with sauce and ASV. I also spritz the ribs at times. Help a brutha' out!

Attachments

• Ribs 2.jpg
    Ribs 2.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 316
Here's another picture.

Attachments

• Ribs 7.jpg
    Ribs 7.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 304
Wrap when you get the color you want (or just before as ribs can darken in the foil), and for more more tender... it's just a matter of more foil time.

It's funny, but I can go back through photos for years and my ribs always look the same.

VMqQoTf.jpg

Good looking ribs, Thirdeye. This is a picture from Goldee's instagram.

Attachments

• Goldee’s Barbecue.pdf
    220.5 KB · Views: 60
I experiment with a lot of different rubs, but my go to is either Yardbird and Cimmaron Docs or Heath Riles Garlic Jalapeno and Kosmo's Dirty Bird.

Good point about the sauce. Goldee's doesn't wrap until the ribs are done. If I did the same, mine would be much darker.

Last edited:
What kind of pit are you cooking on??

I like to have good convection in my pits and depending on the cooker I’m using I’ll adjust exhaust to keep constant air flow to get the color I’m looking for. I typically get slightly darker ribs on my BGE that I attribute to low air flow and a smoldering fire.

Like others, I also wrap when it looks right to me.

I experiment with a lot of different rubs, but my go to is either Yardbird and Cimmaron Docs or Heath Riles Garlic Jalapeno and Kosmo's Dirty Bird.

Try Heath Riles Cherry Rub, and instead of a sauce, make a simple syrup and glaze right before serving.

Yes, standard issue goo as opposed to nonstandard. Left to my own devices (sans feminine influence) I wrap with ASV and sauce. I've got a Workhorse 1975 and been smoking on it a little over 2 years. I can generally run a clean fire, and usually burn white oak or hickory. Keep in mind...if your not smokin' in the rain and haven't ran over your ash bucket at least once, your just goofing off.

Attachments

• smoker 8.jpg
    smoker 8.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 170
Last edited:
Depends on where I am in the timeline of the cook and what I'm trying to accomplish. I guess the short answer is, "it varies." It's partially closed in the picture above.

Smoke Freak, you're an animal.

Back