Fix my Ribs

Cowboy, my wife saw ASV on a spray bottle yesterday and ask what it stood for. When I said, "Apple Cider Vinegar," she laughed her rear off, and I immediately recognized the error of my ways. I promise, I can spell "cider." But somewhere along the way I started using ASV rather than ACV.

Liking my ribs now...

In the past, when I cooked on my bandera smoker...I just never "really " liked my ribs.

I tried everything, wrapping, not...etc.

The problem for me was, I still always had too much residual fat on them...and I don't like eating globs of fat...

But with my offset...I quit doing the 3-2-1 thing with wrapping. BUT I do at times, wrap them in the butcher paper, if they are getting a bit too crusty looking on the bark side.

I'll either spray a bit of whatever 'mop' I have going on, or if I have brisket tallow I'm rendering, I'll throw some of that in there.

But I generally wait till bark is dark and/or bones are really starting to pull away.

With this....I have actually gotten to enjoy spare ribs. I could NOT eat them before....the fat just never rendered off for me.

Now..I get them fully rendered and when I bite into them, it's pretty much ALL meat, which I like.

Whenever the local grocery store here has a sale on St. Louis cut spare ribs, I stock the freezer up.

I still like my baby back ribs....but now, I enjoy pork ribs more than I ever did and it all comes down to my learning proper air flow on offset and rendering the fat out of them successfully.

Beef Ribs....whole other story....I LOVE those things and again, proper fat rendering to me, is the key.

I don't sauce mine till I get them to the table...although I often do a spritz bottle...usually some mixture of apple cider vinegar and maybe:
frozen concentrated apple juice
home brew beer
hom brewed hard cider!! (I love this stuff).
I've even thrown some mead in there

The spritz/mop is fun to play with and when I do that, I spray it on everything I'm smoking...

I don't have a lot of hard and fast "game plan" when I smoke stuff...but so far, it's all pretty good and FUN!!

cayenne

Back