need suggestions for a commerical vinegar sauce

Nah, I've been getting the Tennessee Red because of the spiciness. If the regular is even sweeter than the Red, I'd probably pour it over pancakes.:laugh:

The regular is a LOT sweeter. If the red is too sweet for you I'd stay FAR away from the regular. :p

Might try Wicker's

Blues Hog Red is good stuff, too (luckily our local grocery started carrying it :p)

As others have stated, making vinegar sauce ain't too hard (might even try thinning regular sauce w cider vinegar)
I use Wicker's as a marinade and basteing sauce religiously. Not so much after the meat is done unless for a quick bath.

I agree with other posters that it is just as easy to make yourself, here's the one I use that I got from Peace Love and BBQ.

1 cup light Karo

1 cup white vinegar

1/2 cup water

3 tbs ketchup

2 tbs white sugar

1 tbs molasses

1 1/2 tsp sure-jell (pectin)

2 tsp yellow mustard

1 tsp non-iodized salt

3/4 tsp black pepper

2 tsp red pepper flakes

1/2 tsp paprika

Mix all ingredients, bring to boil, and remove from heat.

This is sweeter than the eastern NC sauce but it's good.

I think your confusing Blues Hog "regular" with Blues Hog Tennesee Red. The Tennessee Red is a mostly vinegar and not nearly as sweet as the regular.

Both are sweet for the kind of sauces they represent.

The regular is just ridiculously sweet for bbq pork or brisket, but good on ribs, and chicken as well, I presume. The TN red is thin and vinegary, but still really sweet for that kind of a sauce.

Back