Can someone coach me on Carolina style vinegar/mustard bbq sauces?

cayenne

is one Smokin' Farker
Hi all,

I have a GREAT amount of pulled pork from Sunday's cook.

I'm kinda wanting to try out something different (for me), and I've always heard that Carolina style mustard/vinegar based sauces do very well with pulled pork and would like to give it a try.

Can someone here coach me on the basics of a good home made recipe for said sauce(s)?

I figured this would be a great place to start!!

Thank you in advance!!

cayenne

I love mustard sauce on pulled pork. This is what I use, originally from a user on a different forum by the name of SoFlaQuer....

SFQ's Carolina Mustard sauce

3/4 cup yellow mustard
3/4 cup red wine vinegar
1/2 cup white sugar
3 Tbsp dark brown sugar
2 Tbsp butter
2 tsp salt
1/2 Tbsp worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp soy sauce
1/2 tsp tabasco sauce
1.5 tsp course ground black pepper
1 tsp white pepper

In a medium sauce combine all ingredients, stirring to blend.
Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer
Use an immersion blender to give it a good blend and aerate
Simmer for at least 30 minutes
Let stand for 1 hour at room temperature before serving

Google Carolina Red recipes and pick one that you like.
These are my favorite on pulled pork.

One of the Brethren--sorry I don't remember who--came up with the following, which I love:

"NC Vinegar based sauce

1 cup light corn syrup(Karo)
1 cup apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup water
3 tablespoons ketchup
2 taplespoons sugar
1 tablesppon unsulfured molasses
1 1/2 teaspoons pectin(Sure-Jell)
2 teaspoons yellow mustard
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 1/2 teaspoons black pepper
1 1/2 teaspoons red pepper flakes
1/2 teaspoon paprika (often I use smoked)

(Note - I typically will add 1tsp of Mike's "Magic Dust" along with 1 tsp of whatever rub I'm using.

Blend together in saucepan over medium heat. Slowly bring to a boil. Cool and transfer to container. Keep in fridge.

This weekend I named it "Kickin' Vinegar" so people would know what they were getting when they grabbed the bottle."

OH wow!!

Oh wow...

THANK YOU for all the feedback!!

So many options!!

I'll start playing with these immediately!!!

cayenne

I don't do Mustard based sauce on pork anymore. Atleast not directly on the pulled pork. Until i started doing Catering i never knew just how many people HATE mustard.

+ 1 for SirPorkaLot's Eastern BBQ Sauce. I've made the Shack Sauce a couple times. It's good, but my personal preference is Mr. Lot's sauce.

Really?

I don't do Mustard based sauce on pork anymore. Atleast not directly on the pulled pork. Until i started doing Catering i never knew just how many people HATE mustard.

Really?

Wow...I'd not known anyone that didn't like mustard...what part of the US are you from by chance? It is up north where they tend to not like spice/heat as much?

I've heard of mustard/vinegar sauces on pulled pork, but had never really had it before, and since I had a lot of pulled pork, I asked to get some ideas....

But mustard not being liked by a bunch of people...weird to me. I mean, pretty much every sandwich I've ever had, at least has mustard on it by default.

Oh well..different strokes for different folks....

C

Really?

Wow...I'd not known anyone that didn't like mustard...what part of the US are you from by chance? It is up north where they tend to not like spice/heat as much?

I've heard of mustard/vinegar sauces on pulled pork, but had never really had it before, and since I had a lot of pulled pork, I asked to get some ideas....

But mustard not being liked by a bunch of people...weird to me. I mean, pretty much every sandwich I've ever had, at least has mustard on it by default.

Oh well..different strokes for different folks....

C

PA. And i would say majority of people around here prefer mild spice/heat. My mother, and my son hate mustard. I love mustard, but apparently theres a lot of people who hate mustard. I catered a few party's and one time i did pulled pork with a mustard based sauce and got mixed reviews which basicly came down to people loved it, and people hated it because they hate mustard. And it wasn't even a heavy sauce, was pretty thin. I won't even use mustard as a binder for brisket for this very reason.

Wow...

PA. And i would say majority of people around here prefer mild spice/heat. My mother, and my son hate mustard. I love mustard, but apparently theres a lot of people who hate mustard. I catered a few party's and one time i did pulled pork with a mustard based sauce and got mixed reviews which basicly came down to people loved it, and people hated it because they hate mustard. And it wasn't even a heavy sauce, was pretty thin. I won't even use mustard as a binder for brisket for this very reason.

Wow...thanks for the info.

Maybe it's a northern thing?

My wife is southern and she hates the least little hint of mustard. Now she is very picky when it comes to food. Also, most people who like vinegar based bbq and were raised on it don't care for mustard based bbq. I was this way for a while, but I have developed an appreciation for mustard based as long as it is good mustard sauce.

Not liking mustard is a bit like saying you don't like vegetables. All of them. So many varieties of mustard, and all good. But then I like the stuff. Love mustard based BBQ sauce. Try Sweet Baby Ray's and Sticky Fingers.

Back