Cooking for 60

Jrogers84

is Blowin Smoke!
I am going to be doing a bbq for 60 or so this summer. I plan on overplanning because thats in my nature :becky: I am going to go w/ pulled pork, ribs, and chicken. Mac n cheese, cole slaw and pasta salad for the side. At least thats the plan. How do you guys calculate the amount of food to cook/prepare? I always have a crap ton of leftovers because of my "overplanning" ways. Thanks!

I would say since you have 3 proteins you could guess 5 oz of pork, 5 oz of chicken and 3 bones per person. That is probably even over estimating a little. Problem will be people eating more ribs and pork than actually chicken I would guess. I am like you though too, I overplan because I never want to run out.

It depends on your goal. Is this a family thing where if you rub out of something it's no big deal or is this a catering type job you are getting paid for and need to be covered?

For me as a caterer I'd go into this with 4oz pulled pork, and 1pc chicken (leg quarters cut to make 2pc) and 2-3 bones of ribs per person and tell the client each person gets X number of rib bones and I can cook more per person for $$. Tell guests first pass through they can take 2 rib bones. 2 1/2 full hotel pans of mac n cheese, and about 2 gallons each of cole slaw and pasta salad.

HBMTN,

When you say full hotel pans, are you talking 6" deep?

No I mean a regular 2" deep real hotel pan. We find on average a full size 2" hotel pans of mac n cheese feeds 40 people. I've seen it feed as low as 35 people. For a backyard party for friends I'd only do 2 pans but for a catering job I'd add a half pan to cover my rear.

No I mean a regular 2" deep real hotel pan. We find on average a full size 2" hotel pans of mac n cheese feeds 40 people. I've seen it feed as low as 35 people. For a backyard party for friends I'd only do 2 pans but for a catering job I'd add a half pan to cover my rear.

Thanks. For the wedding in June (100 people), I am planning on 3 2 1/2" deep hotel pans of mac and cheese. Based on your comment above, I should be good.

This is more of a backyard family thing. If I run out of something...well they can eat the other stuff :p I usually cook way too much food when I cook for large groups but have never taken the time to do the math. This is a few more people than usual so I was hoping to fine tune it a bit. I appreciate the replies. It has helped a ton! Thanks

Back