Favorite rubs and marinades

Stonehauler

Name or Nickame
Ed
Hey all,

I know that everyone here has a secret rub or marinade that they have, or will one day use to crush everyone else at a BBQ competition. This is not about sharing those.

For those of you who do the everyday cooking for your family, this is what this thread is for.
Share some of your rubs or marinades that you use when you put dinner on the table.

Since I am asking others to share, I am going to share mine first. Unfortunately, I measure by eye, squeeze, pinch, handfull, and shake, so I can't give you exact proportions. I will make my best guesses.
All purpose marinade:
Good for steak, chicken, and pork
Base:
Bottle of Wishbone Italian dressing
Kikoman Soy Sauce (not the low sodium version, use the black label, not the green label) - 1/4 to a 1/2 cup depending on how big a bottle of dressing you use. If you do not like the taste of Soy, use a big handful of salt instead. For reference, I use 3 big handfuls of salt to season a pot of water for pasta.
Add-ins
Honey - This is especially useful for things like grilled chicken
Grated Ginger
Lime juice
Lemon Juice
Garlic - either fresh whole, fresh minced, dried minced, powered, or jarred minced depending on the flavor profile you want for the garlic
Onion - fresh diced, dried minced, or powered
cracked black pepper
Vodka or other neutral spirit - or when you want to extract alcohol soluble flavors but no other flavors
Bourbon - for when you want to extract alcohol soluble flavors AND you want the taste that bourbon brings

Example: The recipe I use for grilled chicken with pasta and an alfredo sauce
6 Chicken breasts that are split to half the thickness of the original (you want a thinner piece) (this is enough for 14 adult servings)
Place in a plastic bag, or large sealable container along with one recipe of the basic marinated recipe augmented with
Honey (1/4 cup ish). I prefer local unfiltered honey
Dried minced garlic or fresh whole garlic depending on the quality of garlic available at your local store
about 10 turns of your pepper mill set to the largest size

Let sit in your refrigerator at least 4 hours, 12 hours is better. No more than 24 hours.

Place a pot of salted water on the stove (it should taste like the sea) and bring to a boil

Place on the grill and cook through. Pull the chicken and set aside to rest.

Put 1 lb of dried (fresh is good too) fettuccini pasta in the water so that you have a rest time of about 10 minutes for the chicken. Cook the pasta so that it's Al-dente

about 3 mintues before the pasta is done, put a stick of butter in a heavy sauté pan and melt over medium heat. When it's almost all melted, put in 1 cup heavy cream, and 6-8 oz of grated Parmesan cheese (real if you can get it, good quality Wisconsin if you can't. Freshly grated in your home kitchen is best...DO NOT USE THE GREEN CAN.

whisk the mixture until smooth and reduce heat to the lowest levels. You can add black pepper to taste at this point.

When the pasta is done (which should be right as your sauce is coming together), pull it from the water (strain, lift it out of the water in the basket, whatever) and as soon as the sauce is ready, put it in the sauce. Toss to coat and turn off the heat.

use about 3/4 of one piece of your split chicken per adult (3 pieces should do most families of 4) and cut them into cubes. You can use strips, but then up to 1 piece per person...2 if you have teenage boys in sports
Put pasta on the plate, place the chicken on top. For presentation, you can add some fresh rough chopped parsley on top.

The pasta will not reheat well, so learn what you family will eat and use that amount.

All purpose pork shoulder run

Base:
Dark brown sugar
Kosher salt

Mix in about a 4-1 ratio by volume. 4 cups sugar to 1 cup salt. Vary to your taste
ground cumin
onion powder
garlic powder
chili powder (your own or commercial)
chipotle and/or Cayenne powder (add heat to your taste)
Black Pepper to taste

It's a simple rub and you can obviously add your own. Some things to think about
Mace
Paprika, Sweet, hot, smoked, whatever you like
Turmeric
dried peppers

use
Get a pork shoulder or boston butte
I remove the skin, but not the fat
put a thin covering of a good quality mustard on the pork. Dejon, American yellow, whatever you like the flavor of)
put the rub on the mustard.
Smoke it.

I use the same brine for chicken thighs and pork chops from Thirdeye's blog- the Lite Salt one. For my pork butts I inject with Butchers injection with brown siugar, apple juice and water. When the Butt hits 160* IO wrap in foil and add a bottle of Stubbs Pork Marinade for the rest of the cook
For rubs I use
Naturiffic Products like Q Salt and Harvest brine
Smoke'n Dudes Chicken Rub- they are in PA
This is what comes to my mind fairly quick
I also like Simply Marvelous Rubs

Last edited:
Basic Asian inspired marinade that works well for flank steak, chicken, and pork tenderloin.

Cilantro: tops from one bunch
Garlic: 3 cloves fine dice or pushed through a press (or, if whizzing all together, just drop into the whizzer)
Lime juice and zest from 2 limes
Scallions: 3-4
Ginger: 1 tablespoon chopped
Soy sauce: 1/2 cup
Neutral veggie oil: 2/3 cup
White vinegar: 1/4 cup
+/- Sriracha, depending on who will be eating

Can whiz everything together in a blender or just rough chop and toss into a bowl to mix. Then add to whatever protein you have and let soak for several hours (chicken) to 48 hours (flank steak).

Bruce

Well for rubs, sadly my favorite rubs are no longer available because Oakridge BBQ Rubs shut down. Fortunately, I had the foresight to purchase a full case of each before the final day of sales. But I am almost out so I am looking myself for a new product.

For grilling chicken I like to use Salamida State Fair Chicken Marinade, it's more of a brine than a marinade. Soaking the chicken in the product overnight produces a tender moist piece of chicken with tender bite-through skin (like rice paper). The high heat of charcoal is crucial to the flavor. Half way through cooking I use McCormicks Rotisserie Chicken seasoning for an added flavor boost.

If you want to make your own Cornell Chicken, the recipe can be found at https://warren.cce.cornell.edu/resources/cornell-chicken-barbecue-sauce-and-safe-chicken-barbecues

I like the convenience of the shelf-stable product, always ready to go.

You should also look-up:
Moose's Secret Chicken Rub - https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2112778&postcount=1
and
Bigabyte's Foil Hat Rub - https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1602340&postcount=1

Last edited:
Back