Anyone make their own barbecue sauce?

brisket008.jpg

When I'm cooking at home I usually bastardize store bought sauces to my liking or that serves the main dish. I'm new to competition but have been successful cutting BH and Stubbs with my homemade sauce and rub.

I've tried for years, after coming close a couple of times, I finally gave up. I now mix BH with another brand and some apple cider and white grape juice. It comes real close to what I was looking for. It used to bother me that I used a commercial brand, but not any more. Everyone seems to like it.

Sweet Baby Ray is what I use , most homemade sauce isn't all that great, I don't know why people thinks homemade is better

Sweet Baby Ray is what I use , most homemade sauce isn't all that great, I don't know why people thinks homemade is better

I'd bet a dollar to a doughnut that SBR's sauce was homemade before mass producing it.

Homemade is better just because the person making it can make it to his/her own taste.

I like SBR but I do have to up the heat even with his spicy version I add cayenne pepper or some other form of pepper heat.

I rarely use a commercial sauce, they major ones are simply far too high in sugar content to taste good to me. I also think it mutes the other flavors in my food. I do understand to to most people that sweetness is going to be really really appealing. If I do use a big name sauce i'll cut it heavily with cider vinegar and maybe some applejuice. I'm working to develop my own sauce recipes for other styles. This year i'm going to make a nice thin ketchup/vinegar peppered sauce for brisket and work on a ketchup/mustard/vinegar blend for pork.

My favorite homemade sauce is roxy's mustard sauce. I can't imagine a more perfect sauce for pulled pork. I also really

More often than not homemade sauces are made as a stand-alone sauce
and taste very delicious in the maker's taste buds. Also more often than
not those flavors either conflict with the other flavors on the barbecue
itself and/or completely smother the flavor of the barbecue. What I found
at competitions is that the successful teams that use sauce (yes, some
barbecue is actually better without sauce) make their own and the flavors
of the barbecue and smoke are *married* with the spices used in the rub
and *married* with the sauce, so that the sauce enhances the flavors
but doesn't overpower it. There's a very delicate balance.

I was talking with my mother about a month ago and she was going on and
on about the best barbecue she'd ever eaten, blah blah. I remember it
vividly. The sauce was FANTASTIC. You could've put it on cardboard and
it would've been great. The problem is that they put it on grilled, gristly,
fatty, undercooked ribs that you had to gnaw the meat off of. Luckily,
in this case, the sauce was so dominant that you couldnt taste the meat
at all, and frankly the only way you would've known whether it was ribs
or cardboard would've been that the cardboard would've been easier to
chew...

I've been tweaking one of Alton Browns recipes for a couple years now and I really like it, but its time consuming to make.

Most nights I'll either add some Red Wine Vinegar to Sweet Baby Rays (try it, you'll love it) Just slowly add the Vinegar till it gets to the amount of vinegar flavor you like.

Or, I'll take some basic cheap sauce from the super market and add Green Salsa Verde and Jerk Sauce. Gives excellent flavors that go together quite well.

Yep!. One for beef and one for pulled pork. The pork recipe came pretty fast fast, but that was after I spent several years working/tweeking on my beef sauce. Both have been big hits at Q's.:-D

If I could make one close to A1 I would.

Here is a recipe from About.com that I've made and comes really close to A1.

[FONT=&quot]Homemade Steak Sauce[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Ingredients:[/FONT]

• 1 cup ketchup
  • 1/2 cup onion, coarsely chopped
  • 1 large clove garlic
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
  • 1/4 cup lemon juice
  • 1/4 cup white vinegar
  • 2 tablespoons soy sauce
  • 2 tablespoons brown sugar
  • 1 tablespoons prepared mustard
Preparation:

Combine all ingredients in saucepan and simmer uncovered for 30 minutes or until it reaches a good consistency, stirring occasionally. Cool. Strain to remove onion and garlic. Store in refrigerator. When cooked this sauce is brown and tastes almost like A-1 sauce.

There are several more on the internet if you Google homemade A1 sauce.

Here is a recipe from About.com that I've made and comes really close to A1.

[FONT=&quot]Homemade Steak Sauce[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Ingredients:[/FONT]

• 1 cup ketchup
  • 1/2 cup onion, coarsely chopped
  • 1 large clove garlic
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
  • 1/4 cup lemon juice
  • 1/4 cup white vinegar
  • 2 tablespoons soy sauce
  • 2 tablespoons brown sugar
  • 1 tablespoons prepared mustard
Preparation:

Combine all ingredients in saucepan and simmer uncovered for 30 minutes or until it reaches a good consistency, stirring occasionally. Cool. Strain to remove onion and garlic. Store in refrigerator. When cooked this sauce is brown and tastes almost like A-1 sauce.

There are several more on the internet if you Google homemade A1 sauce.
Thank you ,you da man.I will be making it this weekend for a test.

I make my own sauce,the one I like is my brown sauce ,the family loves it.I also have a sauce based on apple jelly, peaches ,cranberrys,and watermelon flavors.

Back