Another worthless top ten list....

Juggy D Beerman

Full Fledged Farker
Everyone is an expert on the internet and if you don't believe me ask them and they will tell you that they are an expert. I have seen some top ten lists on various subjects that are ridiculous and this one makes my top ten list. It might be at the top!

This is copied from the "Food 52" internet site from which the article can be found and is linked below:

"The Most Popular Sauces Ranked"

"The premise for this taste test is as follows: You’re opening a restaurant and your kitchen can only stock a single barbecue sauce brand. You’re factoring in flavor, but also cost, appearance, and brand recognition. Essentially, we’re picking the Heinz 57 of barbecue sauce.

It’s worth noting that to be eligible for consideration, the sauce needs to be available for purchase via Amazon. Local, regional, and homemade barbecue sauces are amazing, but are beyond the scope of this research."

Here are the sauces listed in order:

8. Guy Fieri BBQ Sauce
7. 365 Barbecue Sauce
6. Traeger Classic BBQ Sauce
5. Stubb's
4. Sweet Baby Rays
3. Kraft
2. Primal Kitchen Classic Barbecue
1. Bachan's Hot and Spicy Barbecue

The article does list comments on each sauce and if anyone is interested on reading further, here is the link:

https://food52.com/blog/28105-best-...medium=website&utm_content=link&ICID=ref_fark

The reason I posted this is because of the sauce listed as placing number three. I wonder what area of the country the author of this list resides. I sure hope he is not a judge on the contest circuit!

Lager,

Juggy

And yes I know the title of my post indicates this was a top ten list and there were only eight entries. So much for my expert opinion.............

Last edited:
HFCS is the #1 ingredient in the "Kraft" option. Gee, I wonder how it's at a < $2 price point :roll:

I remember years ago, someone posted a request for a clone recipe for Kraft BBQ sauce. The general consensus was that it would have been cheaper for them to buy the sauce instead of buying the ingredients to replicate the recipe. As much as I wanted to, I refrained from posting, why would you want to do this? That is the absolute worst sauce on the market!

Bob, The same goes for me as to 1,2 and 7 - never heard of them. As for Fieri and Traeger sauces, I have not seen them in the store, but I am not surprised they exist. The Stubbs and Sweet Baby Rays I have used quite a bit. I hate to admit to having tried the Kraft once, but that does not mean I inhaled........

Bob, The same goes for me as to 1,2 and 7 - never heard of them. As for Fieri and Traeger sauces, I have not seen them in the store, but I am not surprised they exist. The Stubbs and Sweet Baby Rays I have used quite a bit. I hate to admit to having tried the Kraft once, but that does not mean I inhaled........

We have Fieri in our local grocery stores. Treager sauces at our local Ace Hardware stores.

I have no problem admitting for one of my sauces i use for chicken i use Bullseye as the base. I believe Bullseye is made by Kraft, although i could be wrong.

Stubb's, all varieties.
Solid Choice

SBR's is what I serve to family. Seldom have it for myself.

Franklin and Stubb's along with impulse purchases

I image #7, 365 BBQ Sause is possibly Whole Foods? Aren't a bunch of their store brands 365 something.

I wonder what the corporate restaurant chains use. Some of them tout their "signature" sauce, which I assume is either made by them or for them. I would imagine that a chain would have to appeal to the general public, that typically wants something sweet.

A huge caterer that I see each week, uses Sweet Baby Rays by the gallon for their stuff. It's a bit frustrating seeing how much premade stuff they use in their dishes, but seems to be doing well for them..

Personally I use a blend of 2 sauces normally. It his all the bases of sweet and savory and a bit of zip and the combo keeps it from being obvious what I've done.

The Bachan's is actually pretty solid. I think I had grabbed the Yuzu one randomly, and everyone love it and thought I made it from scratch. "Yep, sure did, and then reused this silly bottle with an octopus on it"

A list of 'paid placements' in them, with filler items to make the list look valid. It turns into a 'spot the fake!'

I haven't had the Bachan hot and spicy. I like their Japanese bbq sauce. It is a soy, ginger, garlic, green onion, vinegar, in a nice balance. Costco sells it in a BPA free 34oz squeeze container that is awesome to reuse for other stuff - wide mouth screw top, durable twist spout. If not at costco in the big bottle, it tends to be expensive. I'd try their hot and spicy, if it was reasonably priced.

I can see why Sweet BR's is popular as a base - it is cheap and easy to tweak HFCS.

RE: Kraft sauce. I'll admit to enjoying the flavor. For me, it's a taste memory from when I was growing up. I personally don't use it anymore, but I understand why some people love it and continue to use it despite many better options available.

Bruce

Back