Roasted Mex Street corn salad (Elote)????

jjdbike

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
JD
Hello Brethren,

I'm planing a men's fellowship lunch. I'm planning grilled chicken things, smoked TexMex Chili, fresh roasted molcajete salsa, poke nachos, and eltos salad. I was going to do all smoked meats but found out one only eats chicken and vegetables, and another only eats vegetables. Everyone eats cheese. I'm adding the Poke nachos as a nod to the Mexican and Polynesian local culture (North San Diego County) men in attendance. Plus I have some nice fresh fish I caught.

My question here is about elote. I've never made it but really want to. Seeing that it's December, I don't have high hopes of high quality corn on the cob. I'm guessing that frozen would be better, and a time saver. I do want to add that roasted flavor and color. I'm thinking that some wood smoke might be a nice added layer. The night before the event I'm roasting my fruits and veggies for the salsa over oak. I'm wondering if I should add a pan of frozen corn to that grill w/ a little pam butter spray so it doesn't stick.

*What are your thoughts and opinions here?
*Do you agree about using frozen corn?
*What are your thoughts on roasting over wood fire / smoke?
*Do you use chilis and onions and if so do you roast them or use them fresh for a salad crunch? I'm serving this cold side dish.
*Any other recommendations?
*I'd love to hear your recipes!

Thanks in advance!
JD

Back