need suggestions for a commerical vinegar sauce

rw02kr43

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I'm looking for a vinegar based bbq sauce that is a national brand. Any ideas?

Jason

I usually make mine and go heavy on the red pepper flakes.

Scotts for a classic NC style vinegar sauce. Another good one is Georges, but that has some ketchup in it as well (it is definitely a vinegar sauce though, just a little ketchup added to it)

I sell one on my website (link below). Its Bishop's 3n1 sauce. Great for pulled pork, ribs, and chicken.

Mike

If you are referring to Eastern NC style vinegar BBQ sauces , I have not seen a national brand . Some of the BBQ restaurants in that area mail order sauce by the gallon .
Wilbur's , Scotts and Smithfield's are some that come mind....I make my own sauce it is really easy..and just as good...many good recipes out there and just tweak them to your taste...

Another vote for Blues Hog Tennessee Red.

Forgot to add, as T-man has already stated, the North Carolina type vinegar based sauces are crazy easy to make, you don't even have to cook them.
Cider vinegar, brown sugar, crushed red pepper and a little bit of ketchup and you're good to go.

Might try Wicker's

Blues Hog Red is good stuff, too (luckily our local grocery started carrying it :p)

As others have stated, making vinegar sauce ain't too hard (might even try thinning regular sauce w cider vinegar)

Blues Hog is good, but way too sweet for my taste. I started cutting it with vinegar to try and make it a little less sweet.

Blues Hog is good, but way too sweet for my taste. I started cutting it with vinegar to try and make it a little less sweet.

I think your confusing Blues Hog "regular" with Blues Hog Tennesee Red. The Tennessee Red is a mostly vinegar and not nearly as sweet as the regular.

Last edited:
I'm looking for a vinegar based bbq sauce that is a national brand. Any ideas?

Jason
im not a huge vinegar sauce fan but one I do like is Roadhouse Southern Sunset..got a bit of sweet to it along with the vinegar

First time I ever had a red vinegar sauce was homemade. I had never been to a BBQ joint that serves it. However, I knew that I didn't like thick sloppy sauces on pork so after some searching I discovered vinegar based sauces. I found a recipe that sounded good and made some. Turned out great but I had no idea if I made it correctly because I had nothing to compare it to. So, a couple weeks back I ordered Blues Hog Tennesee Red. It arrived and I anxiously opened the bottle. It tasted great and similar to what I made so it verified that I had been making it correctly all along.

I guess I'm just saying... make it yourself, it's ridiculously easy and a lot cheaper.

JohnBoy and Billy's Eastern N.C. BBQ sauce is good. They make several sauces but I think this one is best. This is the same JohnBoy and Billy who have the crazy radio program. It may just be in the South, I don't know. Scott's is hard to beat if you can handle the heat. Prosser's is also really good.

I think your confusing Blues Hog "regular" with Blues Hog Tennesee Red. The Tennessee Red is a mostly vinegar and not nearly as sweet as the regular.

Nah, I've been getting the Tennessee Red because of the spiciness. If the regular is even sweeter than the Red, I'd probably pour it over pancakes.:laugh:

Back