THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyways, I'm finished arguing with the medieval BBQ Dogma Crew.

When it comes to YouTube I've learned so much over the years. I grew up on the west coast and at the time there wasn't a BBQ scene out there at all (Las Vegas). Then I joined the Marine Corps and ended up in North Carolina, and was exposed to Eastern NC BBQ and it made me sick...so much vinegar it boggles the mind. So in my mind BBQ wasn't good and I hated it. Then, one night I came across BBQ Pitmasters and what they were doing was totally different than what I had seen. I knew I had to try and figure out this art of smoking meat.

Fast forward about 10 years and my BBQ game had significantly improved to the point that I opened up my own BBQ food truck. It did well for just over 2 years and then Covid crushed me. Anyways, without BBQ Pitmasters and many of the YouTube BBQ personalities I would have never learned as much as I did in such a short period of time.

Some of my favorites : T-Roy Cooks, Texicana BBQ, Baby Back Maniac, Mad Scientist BBQ, of course Malcom Reed. While I don't agree with everything they've said, over the years they have all given me some good ideas and helped me make small improvements which added up over time.

Honorable Mentions : DivaQ, Myron Mixon, and Sam Jones

This all started because you got triggered by Mad Scientist BBQ posting a review of a smoker. Can you show me where he claims to be an expert?

You stating that people don't have the right to post about BBQ is absolutely pretentious, and it's this kind of nonsense which kept BBQ in the "dark ages" for so many years. Now it's mainstream and people are doing some amazing things that weren't common in the past. The end state is that the food is delicious and many "new" techniques aren't new, but instead are finally being taught to the masses.

You get it! I love the changes coming to BBQ. Nothing wrong with change one bit, because with bbq you can always go back to tradition.

Anyways, I'm finished arguing with the medieval BBQ Dogma Crew.

When it comes to YouTube I've learned so much over the years. I grew up on the west coast and at the time there wasn't a BBQ scene out there at all (Las Vegas). Then I joined the Marine Corps and ended up in North Carolina, and was exposed to Eastern NC BBQ and it made me sick...so much vinegar it boggles the mind. So in my mind BBQ wasn't good and I hated it. Then, one night I came across BBQ Pitmasters and what they were doing was totally different than what I had seen. I knew I had to try and figure out this art of smoking meat.

Fast forward about 10 years and my BBQ game had significantly improved to the point that I opened up my own BBQ food truck. It did well for just over 2 years and then Covid crushed me. Anyways, without BBQ Pitmasters and many of the YouTube BBQ personalities I would have never learned as much as I did in such a short period of time.

Some of my favorites : T-Roy Cooks, Texicana BBQ, Baby Back Maniac, Mad Scientist BBQ, of course Malcom Reed. While I don't agree with everything they've said, over the years they have all given me some good ideas and helped me make small improvements which added up over time.

Honorable Mentions : DivaQ, Myron Mixon, and Sam Jones

You’re reading WAY too much into this.
It is simply a post on a relevant topic that I found interesting.

I am not monitoring your use of it. :)

Nah.. it’s called hanging onto traditions.
They’re called traditions for a reason

Tradition is nothing but salt and pepper...but you make your own BBQ rubs which have all kinds of non-traditional ingredients.

This being said I love your rubs because they taste good. Who cares if they aren't 100% traditional? Harvest Brine absolutely beats the crud out of a traditional liquid brine, but people have been wet brining fowl forever. Are we wrong for dry brining today with non-traditional ingredients?

Not sure if some are jealous of the success many of these YouTubers have or what? The big ones (malcolm, chef tom, Chud mad scientist, ballistic, etc) seem pretty accomplished to me. I’d bet Jeremy with mad scientist has cooked more briskets doing pop ups and catering in CA than most anyone on this forum. Who knows how many thousands of briskets Chud has cooked…I know likely thousands more than me! Those names above are where I usually look first for recipes, cooks, etc. most of them have been home runs, but there were a couple I didn’t care for…but yeah, I’m all for YouTube bbq. I guess I’m one of “those people”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The whole mustard as a binder thing started with BBQ Pitmasters.
Doesn’t make it any better advice though.

Way back in about 2004 when my first smoke, a turkey, took me about 10 hours in the cold, windy, fog on thanksgiving.
I wasn’t much into the internet but searched for bbq tips, and wound up on the TxBBQrub forum. A bunch of old guys and a lot of competitors.

My first butt, I was told to use mustard and have used it since on probably 99% of butt and ribs. Not thick, but enough.
I am going to pay more attention, and go sans slather the next time I do ribs or butt.
There must have been a lot of people here doing it too, I joined in 2006.

I do watch bbq vids occasionally, but only to view other methods.
If I see someone who I don’t like within the first 5 minutes, I just move on until I see something I might want to try. I don’t pay much attention to if they have been comp winners, or own restaurants.
I modify most things I see, and recipes I download anyway.

Interesting thread.

Last edited:
SMASH.

I enjoy a lot of people's content. I take everything with what they say as ideas/inspiration and not gospel. I don't tend to speak in absolute's; it deters from having meaningful discussion about everything.

There's also personalities on there I don't like...mainly because of their attitude or video format.

I'm a person that will research a lot and have multiple sources. It's a blessing and a curse. But either way, I find the youtube crowd as a viable resource for BBQ so long as one is open minded and willing to acknowledge their way is not THE way.

For reference:
This is from a recent poll in my Farkbook BBQ group on popular YT influencers

21dc941c0f6a24dfd45bdd7efbdcc163.jpg

I don't watch BBQ videos. I've tried. They're just not for me.
I do recognize Harry Soo on your list. lol He is a nice guy. :-D

I'm a fan of most of the "big names" mentioned. I'd be right there if Malcom Reed was doing a show on BBQ'ed 2x4's. I don't watch them for info- I watch to be entertained. Have I picked up a trick or two? Maybe so. But nothing like I have from being on this fine site. I guess that one or two of the YT folks could out cook most here but no way they could beat us all.

I like the cooking vids....cause I like food. My personal favorite is *smokey ribs* ...I can't get that up here so it pushes the nuts, lol. Honestly, I'm a f'ing great cook, so I don't actually watch any foil boat, tallow, and other nonsense. Out of the box recipe...I'm in. I'll watch any " check out my new smoker," vid any night, I love the excitement of it! Not the pellet cookers though.

-D

Smash

This great forum has taught me a lot of the basics. But also YT and I find a lot of interest in new gear videos, comparisons and cooking videos. Always interesting to watch new ideas and tools for bbq. Last week I posted about making skewers with shrimp and sausage after a saw it on YT. Brother Smoke Freak commented he used to make those years ago. But it was new to me. And that is also a way to maintain tradition. By showing the old recipes to new people. YT also helped my decision on buying a new kettle grill.

Like every content these days we need to be critical viewers. I stopped watching two news channels here because I became convinced they were:
A. Presenting speculation as fact
B. Pushing commercial content as news
Surely the YT model, sponsorship and free stuff casue a bias to some of the content makers.

There are those I like and follow for a while like Malcolm Reed and brother Justin Baby Back Maniac. Mad scientist is interesting but a little too serious. Harry Soo is obviously very knowledgeable but I cannot follow a full video of his. And finally a bad example. I watched Pitmaster X for a while and he had very good instuctional videos and recipes. But he became very commercial. Pushing some products every video. Even though they maybe good recipes, I cannot stand the product placement and promotion. I'm aware people need to make a living but I do need information to be as unbiased as possible.

Because it’s all nonsense.

The whole mustard as a binder thing started with BBQ Pitmasters.
Doesn’t make it any better advice though.

Funny thing is that there were tons of mentions of mustard binders here on this site well before the first episode of BBQ Pitmasters was ever filmed.

I like the YouTube cooking shows. Obviously some are way better than others.

Pretty simple for me because I'm a backyard guy and don't really give a chit. I just go with what I know. I too was around before the internet. I learned everything I know from watching my Dad (RIP) pour lawnmower gas on coals in the 60's for burgers and dogs and then cooking steaks on a gasser for my Family back in the 80's. I would ask "How is it?" They would say "Great Dad". They were chewing shoe leather. We moved and I got older. New nextdoor neighbor and I would indulge in cold beer now and then. OK, alot! One day he said "You can't even cook Toast!" I thought OK, I'm going to learn how. Researched various smokers options in 2010. End up with an 18.5" WSM. Joined TVWBB. Bam! Game on! Got a new Weber Gasser. Whole new world! Using my newfound knowledge started making decent BBQ and grilled food. Rave reviews from Family and Friends. Then I found this site in 2012 that took me to the next level. YT came along. Fine. I looked at it and deduced the value (if any). I'm no Pitmaster but I can spot Bullchit a mile away. Also with all the new kinds of cookers out, it's interesting.

I'm Happy these days. I go with what I know.

Just my .02

I said all that to say this: Take it with a grain of salt until you actually try it.

Last edited:
When you are stuck inside due to weather or illness, any of it is better than reality TV. If I see no value in what is being presented there are other videos to watch but when I start just randomly poking around I may end up watching tow truck videos rather than BBQ.

Back