THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

As I said in the other thread:

Honestly, Jeremy is one of the many reasons I got so passionate in BBQ; him, T-Roy, Justin / Baby Back Maniac, Ry, Chuds, Malcolm Reed / HowToBBQRight, Craig / BBQiT, Dave / WilsonsBBQ, and lately Johnny / Jirby and Matt / Meat Church. Not all of them run BBQ joints, not all of them are "Texas top #" but all of them contributed something worthwhile to what I know today free of charge!!! I know my briskets wouldn't be as nice as they would've been had I not stumbled on each and everyone's content when I did. Every one of them allowed me to learn something I didn't know, and the vast majority of them had the politeness of replying to a noob's questions and inquiry when I had some to ask, Jeremy included

His contents are informative and well edited, he goes to the point. Sometimes a title might sound "clickbait-y" or "sensationalistic" and that might ruffle some feathers, but that's the game of the algorithm, and it's true for I would say everybody in that list

I wonder how much of this is generational. I feel caught in the middle (early 40s) that learned to cook watching Mario Batali, Alton Brown (and others) during the golden era of the Food Network. I'm a visual learner so watching someone cook live had a huge influence on me. YouTube is just an evolution of that learning medium but with a higher signal-to-noise ratio. For every 1 video offering invaluable educational content you get 30 offering up absolute garbage. Learning to wade through the amateur BS is the hard part and a lot of new cooks fall into bad habits (like blanketing steaks in rub) and then go on to have a bad influence on others.

As for the "influencer" argument... yeah, there's definitely a slippery slope there. Mad Scientist is a modern informercial, but at least he's up front about it. And it's cool to see BBQ toys used & talked about in a live demonstration, even if they did show up on his doorstep w/the promo discount "FREE".

So Smash.

There are few people on youtube that i watch regularly but there are lots of bad videos and channels where i can't even make it thru a video. As long as i've paid attention in barbecue there has always been people pushing gimmick products and methods and it happens on youtube as well. My biggest concern for newbies is following bad advice that could make them sick. Heck even today i saw multiple people in a FB group telling someone that ribs that were left out on the counter all night were still safe to cook. Otherwise it's pretty easy for me to see when something seems like a good method to try versus something i think is bogus.

SMASH

I started cooking bbq in 2010 and watched a lot of bbq shows in that time, but didn't start watching bbq youtube until 2019 (besides the Franklin videos). In searching for a new smoker I found a guy named Phil in Florence who has since passed and he got me hooked. He just liked tinkering with his pits and cooking techniques and took us along for the ride. Didn't take himself too seriously and was just having fun. That night I spent hours watching Youtube. Some folks out there have no clue what they are doing and others take themselves way too seriously. I decided to join the fun and made my own channel. I wouldn't call myself a how to channel, I too am just taking folks along for the ride and they can learn from my success and mistakes which I do not edit out. It's been an absolute blast and I've made a lot of friends in real life with some of the names mentioned here. It's just another way to enjoy bbq.

I will say I agree with others Chudd's is one of the best and Brad has the chops to back it up.

Also people need to realize bbq is fun and fun is different for a lot of folks. I see people bash younger guys like "Jirby" because of his age, arrogance and cooking style, but the kid has credentials and impressive ones no matter your age. That whole Goldee's staff could outcook most on this forum.

SMASH

I started cooking bbq in 2010 and watched a lot of bbq shows in that time, but didn't start watching bbq youtube until 2019 (besides the Franklin videos). In searching for a new smoker I found a guy named Phil in Florence who has since passed and he got me hooked. He just liked tinkering with his pits and cooking techniques and took us along for the ride. Didn't take himself too seriously and was just having fun. That night I spent hours watching Youtube. Some folks out there have no clue what they are doing and others take themselves way too seriously. I decided to join the fun and made my own channel. I wouldn't call myself a how to channel, I too am just taking folks along for the ride and they can learn from my success and mistakes which I do not edit out. It's been an absolute blast and I've made a lot of friends in real life with some of the names mentioned here. It's just another way to enjoy bbq.

I will say I agree with others Chudd's is one of the best and Brad has the chops to back it up.

Remind me of your channel name

I'll watch you tube vids by anyone who knows more than I do, which means most of them. I've been watching them and reading books for a couple years, and I'm not sure how I would have learned to smoke without them. My favs are Chud, Mad Scientist, Leroy and Lewis, Heath Riles, Harry Soo, How to BBQ Right, Chef Tom, and Jirby. IMO Jirby is the Joe "surf's up" Spicoli of the BBQ world (look it up if you're under 50).

I have a 1975 but I'm good with whatever type of smoker someone may have. Kettle, WSM, pellet smoker, gas grill, etc. They are all good as long as the person using them is happy. No doubt some of you are far more advanced/masters of the craft than others.
Think how good t-ball, little league, HS ball, etc are for the game of baseball in general. Very few will ever be pro but they all contribute to the game in some way. If kids don't play baseball there is no Major League.

There are a few that have earned the right to share their knowledge, and I’m thankful for it. (Malcolm Reed, Harry Soo, etc).

LMAO...this is a BBQ forum where EVERY SINGLE POSTER is entitled to share their knowledge (or lack thereof). I can't imagine someone actually being this pretentious when it comes to BBQ.

LMAO...this is a BBQ forum where EVERY SINGLE POSTER is entitled to share their knowledge (or lack thereof). I can't imagine someone actually being this pretentious when it comes to BBQ.

Has nothing to do with being pretentious.

People that claim to be experts should have some claim to that title.

Fakexperts is what is wrong with the news today. Everyone is a farking expert on something.

I KNOW my brisket sucks and I will tell anyone on this forum the same, but if I had a YT channel where I had to come up with fresh content regularly, then how would that change how i marketed my sucky brisket online?

There is a LOT of that out there, sadly.

Everyone is a farking expert on something.
Hey now! I'm proud to say that I used to be a Pert! But I stopped, and now I am an ex-pert. :pound: :tsk: :-D

But seriously, the only time I watch those you tubers is if I'm looking to cook something I never have, most of those people on your list I've never heard of.

And while I agree with you on the silly made up names for various dishes. Pork Burnt Ends was an app on Heim's menu for years, then it hit the Book of Face and everyone was doing it. But it is BBQ, we've always come up with funky names for stuff... MOINKS, ABT's, pork peckers, fatty's, pig shots, pig candy, armadillo eggs, etc.

Hey now! I'm proud to say that I used to be a Pert! But I stopped, and now I am an ex-pert. :pound: :tsk: :-D

But seriously, the only time I watch those you tubers is if I'm looking to cook something I never have, most of those people on your list I've never heard of.

And while I agree with you on the silly made up names for various dishes. Pork Burnt Ends was an app on Heim's menu for years, then it hit the Book of Face and everyone was doing it. But it is BBQ, we've always come up with funky names for stuff... MOINKS, ABT's, pork peckers, fatty's, pig shots, pig candy, armadillo eggs, etc.

Point taken

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Has nothing to do with being pretentious.

People that claim to be experts should have some claim to that title.

Fakexperts is what is wrong with the news today. Everyone is a farking expert on something.

This all started because you got triggered by Mad Scientist BBQ posting a review of a smoker. Can you show me where he claims to be an expert?

You stating that people don't have the right to post about BBQ is absolutely pretentious, and it's this kind of nonsense which kept BBQ in the "dark ages" for so many years. Now it's mainstream and people are doing some amazing things that weren't common in the past. The end state is that the food is delicious and many "new" techniques aren't new, but instead are finally being taught to the masses.

This all started because you got triggered by Mad Scientist BBQ posting a review of a smoker. Can you show me where he claims to be an expert?

You stating that people don't have the right to post about BBQ is absolutely pretentious, and it's this kind of nonsense which kept BBQ in the "dark ages" for so many years. Now it's mainstream and people are doing some amazing things that weren't common in the past. The end state is that the food is delicious and many "new" techniques aren't new, but instead are finally being taught to the masses.

100%. This weird longing for the old days of gatekeeping is super weird and regressive.

Back