You can't eat BBQ everyday

Radrob

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
Rob
I have a man crush on Mark Wiens at the moment. He's eating some awesome food in Sri Lanka and I had to try it. The inspiration came from here.
https://youtu.be/4v9G2ArswUs?t=411

He had rice but I wanted noodles, I started with homemade dough for ramen, I even used baked baking soda to get that texture.

100-4386.jpg

Here's most of the players but I did add a fresh tomato, fish sauce and homemade shrimp stock I had in the freezer. In the bowl is a pack of seafood mix from the store and the plate had onions, green onions, ginger and garlic.
100-4388.jpg

Rolled out some ramen and fettuccine noodles.
100-4390.jpg

Cracked the crab shells to soak in that awesome curry sauce.
100-4391.jpg

Sauteed the veggies, added the spices, shrimp broth, can of coconut cream and a bag of seafood mix to make a good seafood broth, cooked it for a while to reduce and concentrate the flavors then added the king crab to let them soak that flavor in. The crab legs went in at the last 15 minutes so I didn't turn them into mush.
100-4396.jpg

Made a bowl and started drooling. Topped it with cilantro and green onions, that's Sambal ground chili in the middle for a little kick, it's not hot but has a good flavor.
100-4398.jpg

Side plate with stuffed crab and more king crab to slurp that awesome gravy off of.
100-4399.jpg

Crab and curry is a match made in flavor town.
100-4401.jpg

It's the closest thing you can get to ecstasy.
100-4403.jpg

The stuffed crab with that gravy/broth was amazing.
100-4405.jpg

That's shrimp and clams from the seafood mix on top, It's like a paella in a spoon with curry sauce.
100-4406.jpg

It was a process to get to this point but so worth it, THIS has to be done again but next time I wanna use the biggest shrimp I can find.
100-4407.jpg

I'm ashamed I couldn't eat that lonely crab, I'm blaming it on those two foot long noodles.
100-4408.jpg

That looks bangin! I agree...the complex Tom Yum based broth you made is about as close to a heavenly soup you can get. I have never use crab legs (normally shrimp), but will have to give that a go.

My wife and kids watch Mark Wiens all the time (my son calls him "the food man"). Good stuff!

Looks delicious!

I love ramen noodles but have never tried to make them. I have the same pasta maker sans the motor which I'd love to get. Does it work well?

Looks delicious!

I love ramen noodles but have never tried to make them. I have the same pasta maker sans the motor which I'd love to get. Does it work well?

If you have a stand mixer, I think you can buy the KA attachments for about the same price as the motor.

Well Rob after reading the article you now have my upmost respect for making the noodles!

Absolutely fantastic Rob! It’s so hard to find fresh ramen noodles. Looks like you’ve got the solution!
Mark Wiens has some great grilling videos in faraway lands. Really makes you appreciate that grilling is global. Credit to Raichlen for opening my eyes to that years ago. BTW, we make Wien’s Thai Basil Chicken and it is tremendous

Back