Year of the pig and carrying on a tradition

bbqwizard

Babbling Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Phillip
When I was a kid, every August I would stay at my grandparents to help prepare for the annual Labor Day pig roast put on by my grandfather and uncle. In the beginning, it started with about 19 people. When it ended 19 years later, there were over 400 in attendance! It was awesome! I can remember everything about it. Some of my best childhood memories revolve around those times prepping for the big day.

Now, some years later, I have attempted to carry on the tradition by "bringing back the pig" (as I have called it). It may not always fall on Labor Day weekend every year, but at some point through the year I try my best to Q up at least one pig. This year, it so happened that my schedule worked out and at the last minute, I decided to throw a small pig roast together, to yet again continue on with the tradition.

Stay tuned for photos.....

After trimming anything that just didn't seem acceptable, I trimmed the silver skin around the inside of the hams and shoulders (there wasn't much).

Next, I injected a half gallon mixture of apple juice, water, red vinegar, brown sugar, honey, seasoning, a splash of Worcestershire and tamari, all over the inside of the pig, with the majority going into the hams and shoulders.

Finally, I sopped up any pooling them covered the inside of the cavity with my competition pork seasoning.

I am cooking her in Prospero today (Yoder ys1500) with a mixture of hickory and cherry, at a cruising temp of around 235 degrees.

Looking good, what is the approximate size of your cooking grate and what is the weight of your pig. This is something I would like to do one day.

Hey Bill,

35"wide

This pig is a small one, 32#. I have cooked 120# in it though,with no issues.

Thanks for the reply, my main cooking grate is only 32 X 23, looks like I could get a 32 pounder plus or minus in my offset.

Back