Black Eyed Peas - A Tradition

16Adams

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Reasons for eating New Years Day black eyed peas.I've read hope, health wealth, good luck etc in articles. I've read several articles on beans and some said it was livestock feed eaten by people to survive. Growing up we had peas every January 1 for good luck. When something bad would happen and mentioned "but I ate my black eyed peas", mom would just smile and say think how much worse it would be if you hadn't. We all doctored them a little differently. Dad liked steak sauce, I liked that clear cafeteria pepper and soaked buttered cornbread topped with BEP's. Black Eyed Peas could've been the main or only dish, but they were a side. A filling side. I still eat my BEP's. Tradition is more of a superstition now.
Think how much worse it would be if I didn't.

Link to article on eating black eyed peas on January 1st(and basic recipe)

https://gardenandgun.com/recipe/why-do-we-eat-black-eyed-peas-on-new-years-day/

Hopp'n John Recipe link
https://www.pauladeen.com/recipe/hoppin-john/

Last edited:
Yes! Along with cabbage and ham. Momma always made cabbage rolls with her black eyed peas. I’ve been doing smoked cabbage stuffed with sausage with my BYP’s. Will do the same this year while camping on my new Cusinart pellet grill I got specifically for camping. Works like a champ.

Black eye peas AND collard greens. Don't forget about collard greens.

I used to make a crock pot of black eye peas and collard greens mixed together every New Year's. Peas for luck and greens for prosperity.

Eat from my crock pot and you had both bases covered:

"What Is The Meaning Of Black-Eyed Peas And Collard Greens?

According to legendary Southern food researcher John Egerton's Southern Food: At Home, On the Road, In History, black-eyed peas are associated with a "mystical and mythical power to bring good luck." As for collard greens, they're green like money and will ensure you a financially prosperous new year."

So cover your azz on New Years. Eat both. :mrgreen:

During the American Civil War when Union troops marched across the south they burned many towns and farms. Destroy crops because starvation was a war tactic back then. They spared hundreds of acres of black eyed peas because it was believed to be grown for livestock which would come in handy. Little did they know the humble legume was a culinary staple among the locals.

I'm was raised in Texas, and we always had black eyed peas on New Years.
Still do, but I doctor it up more with onions, sweet peppers, celery, and jalapeños.

The Mrs. is an East Texas girl and BEP's were a New Years staple. For luck one was supposed to eat one's age in peas (thank God not one's weight). This was not my family's tradition being Chicago-born but I have lived in Texas long enough to be an adoptee. I love BEP's with sausage, peppers, onions, garlic. Cornbread is NOT optional. WARNING! BEP's are already difficult to find. Walmart had none this morning.

My father was born and raised on a farm in Fort Worth Texas. After WW2 and coming home from overseas he decided farming was not for him and he landed here in California. Growing up he made black eyed peas with bacon and I don't remember all the other ingredients except he added sugar.
Anyway, are there any old time folks from the Fort Worth area with a black eyed pea recipe that include bacon and sugar?

My father was born and raised on a farm in Fort Worth Texas. After WW2 and coming home from overseas he decided farming was not for him and he landed here in California. Growing up he made black eyed peas with bacon and I don't remember all the other ingredients except he added sugar.
Anyway, are there any old time folks from the Fort Worth area with a black eyed pea recipe that include bacon and sugar?

Here ya go.link to recipe including sugar

https://www.tasteofsouthern.com/southern-black-eye-peas-recipe/

We love BEP, smoked pork goes into them, in this part of the country hog jaw is said to be eaten with the peas, more often than not most gets cut up and into the crock pot for a 24 hour soak. Corn dodgers for the bread

Black eyed peas with sugar is no oddity. My mother and grandmother - both good southern cooks- would always add a bit of sugar to greens, beans and other veggies.

"you won't even taste it" -they'd say.
"then why do it at all?" says me.

About then, they'd invite me to hush, to get out of the kitchen or do the cooking myself.

I hung out - picked up some tips/tricks- sure do miss those women. And I add just a pinch of sugar too- just "because they did".

Back