THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

That's crazy, man. Personally I love BBQ and I'll try any BBQ I can get. My wife even gets upset with me because I'll go out of our way to try some new BBQ joint or whatever, and 99% of the time I'm disappointed in how the 'Q is at most restaurants. But to me it's worth it because every once in awhile I'll get a bite that makes it all the crappy Q worthwhile. Especially if it's someplace that sparks my mind with a new idea to do with my own stuff.

And I'd definitely try anybody's BBQ at a party. Sure in my head I'd be comparing it to my own, but if it was better than mine you can bet your ass I'd be talking to the pitmaster to pick their brains! I'm always looking to improve. Unfortunately I don't ever have anybody to compare with. I have a couple friends that smoke, but they never seem to share with my group...I'm the one that hosts the massive BBQ get togethers; I'd kinda like tasting what other people come up with sometimes.

I've seen the type too! I love to try other peoples Q and ask questions I always try to learn! I don't go to any BBQ places around here either I can make a ton of PP for the price of 2 plates.

I'd be pretty bent too if I were you, but I tend to agree with the folks here who are saying he was insecure, so I'll give him a partial pass.

Imagine: You've just spent 19 hours babysitting a single butt on an egg. Probably obsessing over everything and checking and double checking temps, color, etc. so that it matched whatever recipe he was going on. (which is probably why it took so long)

You get it done. You're proud of it. You bring it to a party and there's someone else who has the same thing. All you can think of is "thunder... stolen..."

Not saying it's cool, because it isn't, but it is understandable. BBQ is about community. It's not just the meat, it's the process. He'll come around, and his cooking will be all the better for it.

I know a guy that goes on and on about his propane smoker and soaking wood chips. He says everyone tells him it's the best bbq they've ever tasted. I just let him be happy. Obviously he is making some good q and has a system he likes. I asked him once about trying wood or charcoal and I didn't get to finish my sentence. He has no interest in anything I have to say about bbq.

He took a bite and you could see his eyes light and that he knew it was amazingly good but he still couldn't force himself to compliment it.

Fonzi said it best on Happy Days ( or tried to )
"I was wr..rr I was wron.... wr..."
Humans are funny people.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbMKjLe-RFA"]Fonzie: "I was wrorrrrrr!" - YouTube[/ame]

Good post - I bet you are correct -
I bet if somehow Aaron Franklin was at that party....and if he wasn't super mobbed or hassled...somehow I could see even a guy like Aaron saying "sure man...let's try your pork"....

I don't understand.

Guy complimented your sauce. His wife was polite and said she liked your food better. but you complain on a forum that he is a snob. Seems weird.

Maybe you misread. I'm being sarcastic in a sense that everyone here is a bit snobby when it comes to bbq BUT we all are curious about other people's BBQ (that's what this site is for) and the knowledge that we can gain from listening and trying other people's food. I just found it interesting that a guy who seems to take pride is his pork and his cooker didnt want to try some pork from someone who has the same hobby/passion. It is what it is. He did love the hell out of my white chicken chili bean dip thing I did; so there's that lol.

I've got a brother-in-law that is exactly that way. He has done a few comps and placed well but he wont even taste anything that I do. For instance one 4th of july I built a cinderblock pit to do a whole hog. It turned out really well but he didn't even ask how or why I built it, what rub or how long it took or what temp. He is very conceited. He's just lucky that he is good to my sister:twisted:

I've got a brother-in-law that is exactly that way. He has done a few comps and placed well but he wont even taste anything that I do. For instance one 4th of july I built a cinderblock pit to do a whole hog. It turned out really well but he didn't even ask how or why I built it, what rub or how long it took or what temp. He is very conceited. He's just lucky that he is good to my sister:twisted:

That right there would set me off. Seems like a good bonding thing for you two. I built my bro-in law a UDS for Christmas last year and gave him all my recipes and faq's for the UDS. He'll text me all the time with questions and pictures of his food. Its awesome.

Challenge him to a cook off, the wives judging blind of course. If he doesn't accept say I thought so :biggrin1:

Reminds me of one time when I was out stripper fishing and I'm pulling them in on almost every cast and there is a guy standing next to me not getting a bite, I stop fishing walk over to him and offer him one of the white plastic shads I was using. This clown tells me no thanks he prefers to fish with buck tails he has been using them his whole life. I'm offering this guy the keys to the candy store and he is stuck in his old ways. Sometimes people just have their heads so far up their arse they can't even get out of their own way.
You were obviously the better person and if the guy talked to you he could have been turned on to a great site and become a better cook.

Reminds me of one time when I was out stripper fishing and I'm pulling them in on almost every cast and there is a guy standing next to me not getting a bite, I stop fishing walk over to him and offer him one of the white plastic shads I was using. This clown tells me no thanks he prefers to fish with buck tails he has been using them his whole life. I'm offering this guy the keys to the candy store and he is stuck in his old ways. Sometimes people just have their heads so far up their arse they can't even get out of their own way.
You were obviously the better person and if the guy talked to you he could have been turned on to a great site and become a better cook.

Again, this is weird thinking to me. A weird thing to get worked up about.

Maybe the guy was just enjoying being out there. Maybe he didn't want to clean fish that day. You are literally calling the dude a clown with his head up his arse because he didn't want to switch lures.

WmarkW,

I think you are overthinking the situation......

Simply put, you were asked to bring pork and you did just that. Why he wouldn't taste it? Who cares, it was his loss to not to try it, just leave it at that.

I have to agree with Gore, he is probably insecure and is afraid that he will taste something better than his own. Was he rude? Yes.... and he looked like a jerk to everyone else in attendance. Just remember that you can't fix stupid, so clear it from your mind knowing that you are the better person in the situation. Just avoid him in the future, and when the opportunity lends itself, just smile and say "hi".

Just my two cents...

Reminds me of one time when I was out stripper fishing and I'm pulling them in on almost every cast and there is a guy standing next to me not getting a bite, I stop fishing walk over to him
I've had that happen - one time I was nailing lmb's on purple plastic and my bro had nada - he thought it looked bad.
After 10 fish to his zero he agreed purple was a good idea.
Same w/ BIL with orange Gary Yamamoto crazees here - after my 3 nice smallies, he relented. Still uses them almost exclusively to this day:)
Human Nature. I know everything, don'tcha know?
People stare Reality in the Face and don't believe it.

So I cooked a butt for a superbowl party and another guest I didn't really know had cooked a butt too. The guy just wouldn't get off my ass about how he cooks at 250-275 and how I'm wasting my time cooking lower. He had some interesting sauce I liked but after all the food and apps at this party, I barely ate my own pork let alone try his. He probably went onto some BBQ internet site to complain about it. I just like to cook and eat bbq, not geek out over it.

That's funny!
And 2 the OP I've ran into people like that , but of the most part people That like to cook BBQ like to eat BBQ he may not be like most of us

I'm a firm believer that steel sharpens steel and I cannot wait to learn from you folks. Sounds like he lost out on a good chance

Back