WSM 18" Low Temperatures

BeeRich

Got Wood.
Hi folks. Just wondering if anybody knows how to raise the temperature of my WSM 18". I've owned it for over ten years, use it multiple times a year, even in the winter during Toronto snow.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esRaYb7AQgA&ab_channel=BeeRich33

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GH6c5aMusYw&ab_channel=BeeRich33

I'm mid way through a brisket and it hovered around 200 maybe for 5 hours. So it's into the oven at 250 wrapped.

I've been using lump but it's often bashed in the bag until it's small stuff and I haven't been able to get temps with that either. I thought it was because it couldn't breathe.

So I bought some Kingsford and it too hasn't worked. So now I'm lost.

All vents completely open, and not blocked. Minion method.

If you have any idea how I can get this temp up, I would love to hear it.

Cheers

What is the outside temp and how many briquettes are you starting the minion method with? Possibly start with more briquetts.

I assume you have water in the pan? I always do and don’t have problems reaching temp.

are you using water in the pan? this will keep the temp lower.

how are you measuring temps? there are a lot of variables here, dome/lid therms are notoriously inaccurate

are you starting with enough lit coals? maybe your base fire is too small, try starting with more lit coals

a wsm should be able to hit 300+ with no water in the pan.

What is the outside temp and how many briquettes are you starting the minion method with? Possibly start with more briquetts.

I assume you have water in the pan? I always do and don’t have problems reaching temp.

Outside temp is ~15°C. I've used this smoker with the same charcoal at -20°C and it worked fine.

The charcoal ring is pretty much full, minus the space needed for the chimney. The water pan is filled with ceramic briquettes, as I have always had. That hasn't changed.

are you using water in the pan? this will keep the temp lower.

how are you measuring temps? there are a lot of variables here, dome/lid therms are notoriously inaccurate

are you starting with enough lit coals? maybe your base fire is too small, try starting with more lit coals

a wsm should be able to hit 300+ with no water in the pan.

I never used water. I have charcoal briquettes. Always worked. Only recently is it getting colder. I use a chimney and it's red hot glowing, as it should. Even with a small lit fire base, it should get up to temperature.

Using the normal dome temp, which I've found is accurate. Sub 200°F is not 250°F on the top grate. I've measured this often using third party thermometers.

If your WSM is intact and fully functional and you are doing everything exactly the same way that you’ve done it successfully for 10 years, and you now have a new problem that you can’t reach temperature I would expect it to be either the fuel or the thermometer.

Is there any chance that you have a faulty thermometer since you had the same problem with two different fuels.

If your WSM is intact and fully functional and you are doing everything exactly the same way that you’ve done it successfully for 10 years, and you now have a new problem that you can’t reach temperature I would expect it to be either the fuel or the thermometer.

Is there any chance that you have a faulty thermometer since you had the same problem with two different fuels.

Well, I can definitely have a look at it. I can calibrate later today in fact.

Wind, not temp is the enemy of a WSM. Start with a windbreak and a full ring of KBB. No water in pan.

Loose the water pan and start with more light coals for the minion method.

I had a day of troubles with my drum. (basically the same working as WSM)

There was only the position of the drum.

The intake was placed in front of pots I have to separate patio from drit and the air flow /currents between that were messing it A LOT.

Just shut that hole and open other and the temps was steady

Loose the water pan and start with more light coals for the minion method.

A full chimney was used. It simply did not get up to temperature. 100% of those briquettes are now gone. I used to light the charcoal with a torch before, and it went fine.

I had a day of troubles with my drum. (basically the same working as WSM)

There was only the position of the drum.

The intake was placed in front of pots I have to separate patio from drit and the air flow /currents between that were messing it A LOT.

Just shut that hole and open other and the temps was steady

Nothing blocking any side of my WSM.

Nothing blocking any side of my WSM.

It wasn´t blocked.

There was an airstream going right to the intake.

I saw it because when wind blowed, it inverted the airflow and smoke came out through intakes.

It wasn´t blocked.

There was an airstream going right to the intake.

I saw it because when wind blowed, it inverted the airflow and smoke came out through intakes.

I don't have any airstreams blowing into my WSM, nor blockage. There is no wind, especially at 4 am.

Here's what I do, and my logic for it, when I want higher temps (350-375+) in my WSMs.

There are three vents in the bottom, but only one in the dome. The dome becomes the restrictor when you want more air flow for greater combustion.

Want/need a higher temperature? All vents wide open and offset the dome slightly to create a greater air flow through the coals.

Here's what I do, and my logic for it, when I want higher temps (350-375+) in my WSMs.

There are three vents in the bottom, but only one in the dome. The dome becomes the restrictor when you want more air flow for greater combustion.

Want/need a higher temperature? All vents wide open and offset the dome slightly to create a greater air flow through the coals.

I used to use this to get higher temps, but it dips back down for me. I also just want normal smoking temperatures.

Back