Wood For New Reverse Flow

countryrocker212

Knows what a fatty is.
I got a new to me reverse flow off craigslist and now I'm looking to buy some wood but had some questions. My options are oak, cherry, and hickory from a landscaping place and hickory in bags from menards/bass pro. Is there a difference in hickory that's in the western bags compared to seasoned wood from a landscaping place? Is smoking with all cherry an option or do you need to mix cherry? How is oak compared to hickory as far as flavor. Thanks in advance
Chris

image.jpg

I read some species of the hickory is not good for cooking. I don't know what type of hickory I have, but I have not done an all hickory cook. I usually mix it in with oak. Oak is what I use mostly and is moderate in flavor. Cherry has milder smoke flavor and will give a hint of sweetness and redness. I would get all and give them a try.

Skip the bagged wood. It's more expensive and kiln-dried so it will burn quicker with less flavor. All the other wood you listed are good. Experiment and see what you like.

I cut lots of different hickory and don't know of a hickory tree that's not good for cooking on. Some folks will tell you hickory is too strong and to use pecan...guess what, pecan is hickory. I read that the same species tree grown in different type soils will have a different flavor. If the hickory is cured well and you burn a clean fire it is an excellent choice IMO.

At the end of the day most well seasoned hardwoods/fruitwoods will be completely fine so long as you keep the fire burning clean no matter if it's hickory, pecan, oak, apple wood, cherry wood ect. All of those are favorites of mine btw.

Most folks that speak on hickory being too strong generally burn a fairly dirty fire. Being from NC where hickory has been the primary heat source for many many cooked pigs over hundreds of years I'd say it's fine to cook with as the sole heat source. :thumb:

Your nose and your tastes along with what you can get easily will tell you what your "favorite" is.

Another Cherry fan here, but any of those choices will treat you right. I love hickory as well, just hard for me to find in large quantities. Don't waste your money on the bag woods. Buy by the face cord or cord...

I get my wood off craiglist and now I have two guys I buy from regular for the last three years , buy a half cord and you can get a decent deal . no matter what I cook I use cherry but use a 50 / 50 mix with Pecan or Hickory .

Thanks for all the advice. I can get a 1/4 Face cord of hickory or cherry for $55 and I can get a whole face cord of oak for $95. Are those prices bad?

A face cord for 95 is good. I paid 125 for my last oak facecord and couldn't find anything cheaper. I don't know anything about 1/4 facecord, but at 55 a quarter, is a facecord of cherry 220? That seems a bit expensive.

My dad has wild cherry growing around him, I started cutting, splitting and storing about a year before I got my shirley. I haven't bought any cherry, but the guy I bought my oak from didn't sound like it would be much more for Hickory or cherry. Heck, he through in 30 pcs of hickory on my first order. I get my cooking wood from Big Steve in Fox Lake, but I doubt he would deliver as far south as you are.

I was just trying to find him on craigslist but he's not on there right now..

I did find his business card though. His number is 847 970 1001. Let us know what kind of a deal he'll cut you...

and FWIW, he does sell the biggest facecords I've found. HUGE splits. Here was the last load -

I will thanks. Any issues with keeping wood out in your shelter with the elements? I was thinking something like that or a couple really big rubber maids in the shed.

I just built that this spring, but so far so good. I will probably tarp it for the winter. I've found that for the most part seasoned wood won't take on a lot of water as long as you keep it up off the ground.

Back