Reverse Flow Smoker Question

flexstar

Knows what a fatty is.
Name or Nickame
skip
I have designed a small reverse flow offset smoker ,and have used the Feldon Calculator to run my numbers. I have contact a couple of fabricators, and they have questioned some of the numbers. The number that get their attention the most is the half moon opening from the firebox to the cook chamber. Feldon and another smoker calculator (don't remember his name) agree on the calculation. The number is 45.5 inches squared. Another thing of concern is the heat channel to the opposite end of the cook chamber. From all I read the channel should be the same size opening (45.5 sq. in) as the opening from the fire box to the cook chamber. I would appreciate any experienced thoughts on my dilemma. Thank you!

I'm not an expert on pit building but here are my thoughts. If I were to design a pit using an online calculator and a fabricator or 2 fabricators are questioning those numbers I would be more inclined to listen to them. Especially if these fabricators are experienced pit builders.

I have built 2 horizontal offset reverse flow smokers from old air tanks. Both work well. I cut my "half moon" opening in the firebox to match the one I cut in the end of the tank. The opening in the end of the tank goes all the way to the bottom of the tank. My reverse flow plate hits the hot end of the tank a little bit above the firebox opening, but angles down towards the cold end of the tank so the grease will flow that way. The heat channel is very close to the size of the half moon opening. I am sorry, but I don't have any pictures.

seattlepitboss

Back