Wild Fork:Opinions, experiences?

jjdbike

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
JD
Hey folks,

We have a new Wild Fork store not too far from here. I bought an aged Prime Brisket which I thought was very reasonably priced, and two boneless turkey breasts which were not cheap.

The brisket was ornery. Flat never got probe tender till 210internal temp and by then the flat was dry.

The turkey breasts say contains uptown 6% liquid. I called to ask them if they were brined. When I finally got someone on the phone, they didn't know what brine was. They asked me to spell it. Came back and told me it wasn't brined. The label says 70 mg sodium 3% of DRA. I'm still not sure if they were brined.
The sign on the Wild Fork store says Frozen is fresher. Not sure if I'm sure what they mean by that.

What are your options and experiences with Wild Fork meats and poultry?

Thanks in advance.
JD

Hey folks,

We have a new Wild Fork store not too far from here. I bought an aged Prime Brisket which I thought was very reasonably priced, and two boneless turkey breasts which were not cheap.

The brisket was ornery. Flat never got probe tender till 210internal temp and by then the flat was dry.

The turkey breasts say contains uptown 6% liquid. I called to ask them if they were brined. When I finally got someone on the phone, they didn't know what brine was. They asked me to spell it. Came back and told me it wasn't brined. The label says 70 mg sodium 3% of DRA. I'm still not sure if they were brined.
The sign on the Wild Fork store says Frozen is fresher. Not sure if I'm sure what they mean by that.

What are your options and experiences with Wild Fork meats and poultry?

Thanks in advance.
JD

Lol lots of questions there. I’ll try to answer as best I can.

Wild Fork Foods used to be okay, then they went and opened a bunch of stores. Personally I think the quality of their meat has declined significantly. Especially their beef.

I used to be a paying member of Wild Fork Unlimited, no more due to this decline in quality.

Let’s move onto the the Turkey breast question.

DRA = Daily recommended allowance (sodium)

DRA is 2,300mg, so 2,300 X 3% = 69mg

70mg of sodium is not that much. Are you sure that’s not 70mg per serving?

Lol lots of questions there. I’ll try to answer as best I can.

Wild Fork Foods used to be okay, then they went and opened a bunch of stores. Personally I think the quality of their meat has declined significantly. Especially their beef.

I used to be a paying member of Wild Fork Unlimited, no more due to this decline in quality.

Let’s move onto the the Turkey breast question.

DRA = Daily recommended allowance (sodium)

DRA is 2,300mg, so 2,300 X 3% = 69mg

70mg of sodium is not that much. Are you sure that’s not 70mg per serving?

Thanks SirPorka,

Yes, I wasn't very pleased w/ that "aged prime brisket". The flat had very little marbling & like I said, was tough. Now, that could be a one off.... or not.

I just called Plainville Farm, the brand of the frozen boneless turkey breast. They told me they were not brindles, just the naturally occurring ,moisture and sodium.

Thanks again!
JD

Hate to see these comments. I have been buying from WF for the past year or so. Nothing but a positive experience. Sure hope that doesn’t change!!

Last edited:
Hate to see these comments. I have been buying for WF for the past year or so. Nothing but a positive experience. Sure hope that doesn’t change!!

Hey rwalters,
Love & can relate to your tag lines.
I'm glad you've had positive experiences w/ Wild Fork. Like I said, perhaps my experience w/ the brisket was a one off. Brisket can be notoriously ornery.
Hopefully others will share positive experiences too.
Best regards!
JD

I have had good luck with Picanha, chicken wings, and white meat ground chicken.
Not do much with some ribeyes and veal I bought.
I have not tried the ribs yet, but want to give those a try.

I’ve only ordered picanha and short ribs (still not cooked) and I was pretty satisfied. I hope yours was just a one off. Sorry to hear about your experience

Only ordered from them once and don't plan on it again.

My source for spare ribs had dried up so i wanted to try getting some thru wild fork. I ordered the ribs and a few other items to get free shipping. My items came within a couple of days but no ribs in the box. Tried a bunch of times to get customer service to see about the ribs and they were very difficult to reach. I think it was a month later they finally got back to me and said the ribs were back ordered when they filled the order so they just cancel back orders off the order and ship what's in stock. Between that and the quality of the items i did receive being disappointing it was one and done for me.

I'm not all that thrilled with them. I ordered a fair amount over a years time and nothing was better than what i could get at the local store. I'm actually finishing a pack of chicken breasts that are a lil tough. Their uncured bacon wasnt good at all. Out of 5 or so steaks 3 were a lil tough but the other 2 were good. I dont buy from them anymore since its just not worth the cost.

Only ordered from them once and don't plan on it again.

My source for spare ribs had dried up so i wanted to try getting some thru wild fork. I ordered the ribs and a few other items to get free shipping. My items came within a couple of days but no ribs in the box. Tried a bunch of times to get customer service to see about the ribs and they were very difficult to reach. I think it was a month later they finally got back to me and said the ribs were back ordered when they filled the order so they just cancel back orders off the order and ship what's in stock. Between that and the quality of the items i did receive being disappointing it was one and done for me.

Man that does stink.
Sorry about your experience. You’d have thought that they would inform you of the out of stock items and offered you options.
I had a hard time getting a hold of them to. Once I did get them on the phone, the guy was so clueless I wondered if he actually did work directly for wild fork, or simply an online phone center. How would someone who works for a meat & poultry company not know what brining is, or even how to spell brine?
Even though their prices aren’t bad for some things, what does it matter if
quality is poor, service is poor, and you don’t even know if you’re going to receive what you ordered.
That situation w/ the ribs could have been really bad if you were counting on them for a big cook for an event.
Thanks for sharing.
JD

I have ordered from them 3 times and have no complaints. Picana was on point and I really like their sausage. Bison ribeye was pretty average other then that nothing negative.

I haven't ordered much other than picanha and some Argentinian sausages, I was pleased with the picanha. I've ordered prime and their "black angus choice" option, and while the prime wasn't marbled to the degree I'd expect for prime grade, it was quite good. As was the angus.

Ive had beef ribs and picanah, I thought the quality was reasonable for the cost, especially for those cuts that are harder to source for me

So here are two thawed Wild Fork boneless breasts and two fresh never frozen breasts.
They look noticeably different. I wonder if they will differ after smoked?
I know Wild Fork advertises That their frozen foods are fresher than fresh.
They say claim that because food is flash frozen it created tiny ice crystals.
Looking at the diff between these two breasts, I'm concerned that the frozen will be inferior.

Attachments

• IMG_0462.jpg
    IMG_0462.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_0463.jpg
    IMG_0463.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 106
I order from wildfork all the time and have been disappointed just a couple of times as it was said customer service is not the best but it is getting a little better they have quite a few bugs to work out though

I received my first order from them last week - picanha and a cowboy ribeye. The picanha was great and I'm looking forward to cooking the ribeye.

Back