Iberico Pork

Mikhail

Babbling Farker
Name or Nickame
Mik
I ordered a couple cuts from Wild Fork, a secreto and a tenderloin. I've been tempted to try them from Campo Grande, but didn't want to shell out $160 for a package. I'd had Iberico ham in the past that was almost black and an out of this world good flavor. At $125 a pound I considered it a decent deal.

So the other night I fired up the grill to 550 and slapped the secreto cut on naked, as advised. It took about 3 minutes per side to reach 145, then I rested it and served it with a little sea salt and a lemon wedge.

I have to say it was indeed flavorful pork, but not quite as impressive as I expected for $35 a pound. We will see how the tenderloin is later.

Inspecting the package, it was a a Fermin product, and they have differing degrees based on how they were raised. This package did not have any indication of which one, so I assume it's the lower grade. Good pork, but not worth the price.

Anyone else tried any?

Secreto is a popular cut in Spain, or at least it was a few years back. I've had it many times. Fermin should provide a good product and according to their website, the pork they sell is Bellota. This is premium. I believe less than 1% of pork in Spain is Bellota. This means the black pig spends the last part of its life feasting on acorns. This changes the meat and changes the fat. The acorns transition the fat so that it is high in oleic acid and omega-3, which can lower your cholesterol. I have friends with high cholesterol whose doctors advise them to eat Bellota pigs -- yes, they tell them to eat pork belly to lower their cholesterol. I've had several cuts of Bellota and I would agree that it probably is not worth paying 10x the price for most cuts for the price, although the marbling makes them extremely tender and sublime, and you're going to be paying a premium knowing that the pork you're eating is good for you. The jamon is a whole 'nother story. In my experience, pork in Spain is usually served rare to medium rare. This can be a bit of a shock to most Americans. Bringing it to 145* is not ideal. I definitely would not want to overcook the tenderloin.

Would love to try this but it is more than I want to spend right now

At some point, you've got to ask yourself, if not now, then when?

Just for the record, pork is an entirely different food in Spain. Here is some pork loin that I took a picture of in a regular grocery store. This is not Bellota or anything special:

IMG_2299.jpg

When was the last time you saw marbling like that in pork loin? When I was a kid, we used to get it, but you have to mail order through a specialty store now to get something close to this.

[QUOTE When was the last time you saw marbling like that in pork loin? When I was a kid, we used to get it, but you have to mail order through a specialty store now to get something close to this.[/QUOTE]

Or work with a local farmer who produces pork to your standards.

I buy it quite often and like you said difference is night and day. I also buy kurobuta pork which is just as good. The price for chops, shoulders etc range from about $15 to $25 per pound depending where I buy it from. It's ready available here at mom and pop butcher shops.

The color is darker red and sometimes resemble a beef cut

HiAWadjh.jpg

MyHi6hhh.jpg

bJUosbHh.jpg

7PVSr2Hh.jpg

I bought a bunch of the Campo Grande St. Louis ribs with one of there deals, and it came out to $23 per slab. Not a lot of meat, maybe 4 or 5 bones per slab have enough meat to serve to a guest. However, the flavor is incredible. Some bites taste like sausage, some like bacon, and taste nothing like commodity or even the Compart Duroc I’m a huge fan of. Very unique and rich taste. I serve these as an appetizer because the small bites, and because it’s very rich. Most people I’ve served them to say it’s easily the best ribs they’ve ever eaten. Bargain shoppers stay away, you’ll be disappointed.

I don't mind paying premium prices, I just want value for the dollar. While the pork was very flavorful, I didn't see the cost/quality as in balance. $15-$20 a pound would have been about right here in my hallucination. Hoping the tenderloin at $25 is more in line.

I ordered a couple cuts from Wild Fork, a secreto and a tenderloin. I've been tempted to try them from Campo Grande, but didn't want to shell out $160 for a package. I'd had Iberico ham in the past that was almost black and an out of this world good flavor. At $125 a pound I considered it a decent deal.

So the other night I fired up the grill to 550 and slapped the secreto cut on naked, as advised. It took about 3 minutes per side to reach 145, then I rested it and served it with a little sea salt and a lemon wedge.

I have to say it was indeed flavorful pork, but not quite as impressive as I expected for $35 a pound. We will see how the tenderloin is later.

Inspecting the package, it was a a Fermin product, and they have differing degrees based on how they were raised. This package did not have any indication of which one, so I assume it's the lower grade. Good pork, but not worth the price.

Anyone else tried any?

Hi all, as some knows, Im from Spain.

I HAD to say:

The iberico I had tasted outside Spain is not that.

Here, we have the Iberico rated by many points:

A) breed
100% Ib 75% Ib 50% Ib

B)Origin
We have some controllated origin denominations, and not all tastes the same.

The main and the most important:

C) Food.
Iberíco de bellota(acorn) vets actually measure how much acorns pigs eat and ****.
they had to breed open air with more than X ha per pig.

Ibérico de campo:
Same that bellota with lower controls and without the open air enviroment regulations, they should live freely, but not as bellota ones.
More pigs in the same parcel = less movement.

Iberico de recebo:
Mainly feeds mixed grains, before die, they gave them some acorns.

Iberíco de cebo:
They don´t eat acorns, only mixed grains or "cebo"

Sooo, I think you may have not tasted the real one, the 100% iberico de bellota.

Thats it.

Based on you said it was Fermin markless (not mandatory for fresh products) I think maybe it was 50% Iberico, the minimun rated one.

Note for deals:

100% Iberico de bellota Ham: about 600USD
100 % Ibérico de cebo ham: about 300USD
50% Ibérico de bellota Ham: about 100USD

Last edited:
I buy it quite often and like you said difference is night and day. I also buy kurobuta pork which is just as good. The price for chops, shoulders etc range from about $15 to $25 per pound depending where I buy it from. It's ready available here at mom and pop butcher shops.

The color is darker red and sometimes resemble a beef cut

That is great meat, but have nothing to do with ibérico de bellota(acorns) or ibérico de castaña(Chestnut) the food you gave them and the area they have to move is everything.

white <<<<< duroc = kurobuta <Ib cebo<Ib recebo<<<<Ib de campo<<<<<<<<<<<<<<Ibérico de bellota

But not for all cookings, I would prefer a white or duroc ribs better than ibérico, the smoke kills the ibérico flavour while enchances white pigs flavour with the brine/rub. The ribs are too tiny, you must spend a lot for a family lunch without mayor improvement.

I don´t eat not-ibérico loin, secreto, lagarto, presa or anything grilled just for the taste.

Jamón should be at least Ibérico de campo.

I don´t know if the rate them by what they eat.
Here, the ibérico alimentation is the biggest rate point.

Marbling is by race and movement, flavour is made by what they eat.

Last edited:
That is indeed great information, Shiv!

I do remember the Iberico ham I had quite a few years ago was $125 a pound then, but the flavor was out of this world. Worth every penny.

Armed with Shiv's knowledge, I went out to Campo Grande's website to see if I could find the grade. Here's what I found in FAQ.

"Is your iberico pork box Iberico bellota or is it Campo/different grade?"

"Our current Ibérico box comes from Ibérico pigs from Spain. Acorns are a seasonal fruit, which makes 100% acorn-fed pigs a seasonal item since they consume it exclusively during the fruit-bearing season of acorns. This is strictly regulated by the Spanish government.

With that being said, our Ibérico pork has a very nutrient-dense feed supplement. They have a similar fat profile to acorn-fed pigs because we aim to minimize corn intake and other nutty-based foods into their diet. The distinction in 100% acorn feed is really only noticeable on the cured meats after 2 years of aging, minimally on the fresh grilling meats."

Translated: "We're not going to tell you the grade, if it even has one. Trust us."

Armed with Shiv's knowledge, I went out to Campo Grande's website to see if I could find the grade. Here's what I found in FAQ.

"Is your iberico pork box Iberico bellota or is it Campo/different grade?"

"Our current Ibérico box comes from Ibérico pigs from Spain. Acorns are a seasonal fruit, which makes 100% acorn-fed pigs a seasonal item since they consume it exclusively during the fruit-bearing season of acorns. This is strictly regulated by the Spanish government.

With that being said, our Ibérico pork has a very nutrient-dense feed supplement. They have a similar fat profile to acorn-fed pigs because we aim to minimize corn intake and other nutty-based foods into their diet. The distinction in 100% acorn feed is really only noticeable on the cured meats after 2 years of aging, minimally on the fresh grilling meats."

Translated: "We're not going to tell you the grade, if it even has one. Trust us."

I had to say a thing.

Raw pig meat is not allways feed with acorns, is true that is an seasonal thing and not allways have acorns to feed the pigs so when they slaughter them in june, there are no acorns to feed them.

BUT
True "bellota meat" are allways available on premium stores, but frozen.

Acorns are available from october/november to march/april
Those months are when we do the "matanza" (slaughter) so the last months, the fattening phase (we call it "montanera") they may eat only that.

Apart that, an iberico pig should have at least 14 month when killed, so they live free for about a year and 3-6 months eating only acorns, just before slaughter

BUT (again)

There are really premium ones, pigs with "doble montanera" pigs with about 20 -24 months at sacrifice, who passed throug 2 fattening phases only eating acorns.

There is hard work and risk to make this jamón so its price.

to make the really best ham, we need about 6 years.

So,...
Really premium ones:
- Ibérico, acorns, free space,...
- 2yr for the pigs.(doble montanera)
- 4yr more (minimum) for drying.
Doble-montanera-jamon-plato-5.jpg

There are A LOT of difference with other ones (also 100% iberico de bellota):
- Ibérico, acorns, free space,...
- 14 month (legal min) for pigs (single montanera)
- 20 months (legal min) for drying
jamon-iberico-de-bellota-etiqueta-roja-pata-negra-guijuelo-loncheado-plato.jpg

Compare it with "simple ham"
- white pig, artificial feed, without space,...
- 8 months for pigs
- 12 months for drying.
10592-1.jpg

Is not the same thing this
https://arturosanchez.com/comprar/jamon-de-bellota-100-iberico-entero/
2 montanera (20 - 24 month sacrifice.)
48 mont drying

or this

https://www.ibericomio.es/jamon-iberico-de-bellota/jamon-bellota-pata-negra-huelva.html
1 montanera (14 months sacrifice)
30 month drying

ONE PERSONAL NOTE:
Don´t ever cut ham with electric slicers, they burn the fat and changes the flavours a lot.

PS: links are just for claryfy, I think they can´t sell overseas so i´m not spaming

Last edited:
I had the real Iberico ham once. It was black and the taste out of this world. Worth every penny.

As an added note, at the same time I vac sealed the Iberico tenderloin, I did two supposedly 'prime' (no such thing) pork rib chops from Fresh Market (great store if you have them). I salted and oiled them, added herbs and sealed. After four days I cooked them up last night. Fantastic. The tenderness and flavor were both great. At least as good as the Iberico.

Last edited:
As an added note, at the same time I vac sealed the Iberico tenderloin, I did two supposedly 'prime' (no such thing) pork rib chops from Fresh Market (great store if you have them). I salted and oiled them, added herbs and sealed. After four days I cooked them up last night. Fantastic. The tenderness and flavor were both great. At least as good as the Iberico.

We have this:
chuletero.jpg

chuletas-cerdo-iberico-pdelicatessenmadrid.jpg

Martin Berasategui (12 michelin stars) does it pretty like you.
Salt, peper, french paprika (soft) & garlic.

Add meat, salt, pepper, paprika, garlic, olive oil and vacuum seal.

60ºC (140F) for 1.5h

Grill @ 170ºC (340F) untill inner 60ºC (140F)

Enjoy.

My wife and I have traveled to Spain twice, visiting Barcelona and Madrid. We make sure to eat as much Jamón Iberico as posible while there. It is just incredible. This year for our anniversary I ordered a Montaraz Iberico de Bellota whole shoulder (not the whole ham, that was just too much $$!) from La Tienda and we can enjoy slices when we want for the next couple months. As Shiv mentioned, there is no comparison and the fat and flavors are just one of a kind. Highly highly recommend.

My wife and I have traveled to Spain twice, visiting Barcelona and Madrid. We make sure to eat as much Jamón Iberico as posible while there. It is just incredible. This year for our anniversary I ordered a Montaraz Iberico de Bellota whole shoulder (not the whole ham, that was just too much $$!) from La Tienda and we can enjoy slices when we want for the next couple months. As Shiv mentioned, there is no comparison and the fat and flavors are just one of a kind. Highly highly recommend.

Thank you!

I´m watching La Tienda store and it looks like they have really premium ones.

Montaraz and 5j are really good brands and you get a fair price.
I´m sure you are enjoying it.

Just avoid "serranos"

Old times serranos was great, iberico porks, rasided at small farms, eating leftovers, 1 year old ....

Today are white porks, industrial feeded, not the same.

Back