turkey: Meat Church brine or butterball prebrined???

jjdbike

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
JD
Hello fellow Q heads,

I'm planning on smoking a of couple boneless turkey breasts.

I'm a big fan of Meat Church rubs and wanted to try their "Bird Baptism" poultry brine. It includes seasonings, salt and phosphates to increase moisture retention. I want them to be super juicy and flavorful.*

I looked at boneless turkey breasts on the Wild Fork website. They have ABF Planiville turkey roast which claims to have no antibiotics for $6.98 a pound, which I think is pretty steep. They also have Butterball boneless breasts for $2.98 a pound which *Contains up to 20% of a Solution of Broth, Salt, and Natural Flavors", in other words, it's preprinted.*

I wouldn't brine a preprinted bird as it would obviously be too salty.*

My question is simple, which one would you choose, or do you have a better option?

Thanks in advance!
​​​​​​​JD

Brine or no brine, I'm a big fan on injecting poultry.

Thanks Whisky,
That’s interesting. I’ve always thought it’s one or the other.

If doing both, wouldn’t one need to significantly limit the salt in one or both? Probably NOT include any salt or ingredients that contain salt for the injection. Is that correct?

If one is brining to retain moisture and infuse flavor. What flavors/ ingredients would you use in your turkey breast injection?

Thanks,
JD

To brine or not brine a Butterball w/solution has been discussed a few times here, especially around Thanksgiving. I think you'll get varying opinions. I've used no brine, 1/2 strength brine, and full strength brine (5% kosher salt by weight or 6.7 oz per gallon of water).

After trying all 3, I've been using a full strength brine for the last couple years.
I probably do 6-8 turkey breast per year. Usually for a weekend meal and then we'll use the leftovers for sammiches the next few days. I don't know the science behind it, but it's never been to salty. I tried brands other than Butterball but they are never as good.

I tried Malcolm Reed’s turkey brine last year for Thanksgiving. I was pleasantly surprised with the results. It is an all inclusive brine with herbs and spices according to the ingredient list. I plan to use it on some chickens I will be smoking in the next couple of weeks. Good luck and let us know how things turn out.

To brine or not brine a Butterball w/solution has been discussed a few times here, especially around Thanksgiving. I think you'll get varying opinions. I've used no brine, 1/2 strength brine, and full strength brine (5% kosher salt by weight or 6.7 oz per gallon of water).

After trying all 3, I've been using a full strength brine for the last couple years.
I probably do 6-8 turkey breast per year. Usually for a weekend meal and then we'll use the leftovers for sammiches the next few days. I don't know the science behind it, but it's never been to salty. I tried brands other than Butterball but they are never as good.

That's interesting. Hard to believe it's not too salty, but I certainly do believe you.

You've convinced me to use the butterball and it's less expensive.

Do you use a rub with salt in it?

Have you ever injected, in conjunction w/ brining?

Thanks!
JD

I usually use 16 mesh black pepper and garlic (no salt) for a rub. If you want to kick it up a notch, wrap in tinfoil when it's almost done and add butter and honey. When you slice the turkey, pour the butter/honey/turkey grease that's in the foil over the slices. Your family will love you forever. Yes, I've tried injecting but seems to me the brine makes the bird juicier. I think all the methods work to some degree, it's just a matter of trying some different things and seeing which one you like best.

Thanks Whisky,
That’s interesting. I’ve always thought it’s one or the other.

If doing both, wouldn’t one need to significantly limit the salt in one or both? Probably NOT include any salt or ingredients that contain salt for the injection. Is that correct?

If one is brining to retain moisture and infuse flavor. What flavors/ ingredients would you use in your turkey breast injection?

Thanks,
JD

I'm a bad one to ask on salt, because I love it, and have a high tolerance for it.

Meatchurch makes a poultry injection that is pretty decent. As does Big Poppa Smokers. These add some flavor, but are more made to enhance the meat while adding moisture. I've also used a stronger injection like Cajun Injector Creole Butter, which is not bad at all, but I prefer the less intense injections.

I prefer un brined turkeys myself and like the Harvest Brine from Naturiffic. I use Thirdeye's lite brine for my Chicken thighs and they come out awesome. I think a lot of people use Tony Cs injection here too- Creole I believe

I've brined many a Butterball whole turkey and they never came out overly salty but if you leave them in the brine too long they can get hammy.

Someone with a better memory will remember.

Who had the thread about the in-laws coming over and brining a turkey that spilled?
I can't recall the name, or I'd search.
A lot of good info on this topic in that thread.

Epic Forum Legend!

Hello fellow Q heads,

I'm planning on smoking a of couple boneless turkey breasts.

I'm a big fan of Meat Church rubs and wanted to try their "Bird Baptism" poultry brine. It includes seasonings, salt and phosphates to increase moisture retention. I want them to be super juicy and flavorful.*

I looked at boneless turkey breasts on the Wild Fork website. They have ABF Planiville turkey roast which claims to have no antibiotics for $6.98 a pound, which I think is pretty steep. They also have Butterball boneless breasts for $2.98 a pound which *Contains up to 20% of a Solution of Broth, Salt, and Natural Flavors", in other words, it's preprinted.*

I wouldn't brine a preprinted bird as it would obviously be too salty.*

My question is simple, which one would you choose, or do you have a better option?

Thanks in advance!
​​​​​​​JD

Thanks everyone for reading and contributing!

It just doesn’t make sense to not use the Butterball. Good price and consistently high quality. The salt content is 400 mg per service which is high. I’ll skip brining and do a salt free injection. I’m thinking about salt free chicken stock, melted unsalted butter, apple juice, onion & garlic powder, perhaps a pinch of phosphate.
I’d sure love to hear your thoughts in injection recipe.

Best regards!
JD

I prefer brined but even then Turkey is never really that “wowing” to me

I prefer brined but even then Turkey is never really that “wowing” to me

Thanks,
The Butterballs are pre brined. I’m injecting to add flavor and enhance moisture.
I’m doing the turkeys for those who don’t eat red meat. I’m also doing brisket.
JD

After you do this one unbrined. Brine the next one you do and let us know your opinion.

gt

Hello again Whiskey & friends. Are you willing to share your turkey injection recipe please?
By the way Whiskey, I love your handle.
JD

I buy products from Meat Church, Big Poppa smokers, Oakridge (no longer an option) and others. I know people who have made their own "creole butter" injection, but I've never done that.

The first two links are for products with a milder flavor, the last two links are for some creole butter injections that will impart a stronger flavor. I like them all.

https://www.bigpoppasmokers.com/chicken-prod-injection-16oz

https://www.meatchurch.com/products/chicken-injection

https://www.tonychachere.com/product/creole-style-butter/

https://www.mccormick.com/zatarains/products/cajun-injectors/creole-butter-injectable-marinade

I will also add, and this is at your own risk, I cook my turkey breasts to an IT of 145 + carryover.

I buy products from Meat Church, Big Poppa smokers, Oakridge (no longer an option) and others. I know people who have made their own "creole butter" injection, but I've never done that.

The first two links are for products with a milder flavor, the last two links are for some creole butter injections that will impart a stronger flavor. I like them all.

https://www.bigpoppasmokers.com/chicken-prod-injection-16oz

https://www.meatchurch.com/products/chicken-injection

https://www.tonychachere.com/product/creole-style-butter/

https://www.mccormick.com/zatarains/products/cajun-injectors/creole-butter-injectable-marinade

I will also add, and this is at your own risk, I cook my turkey breasts to an IT of 145 + carryover.

Thanks!

I say inject regardless of pre brine. Use the equilibrium method and let it equal out for 24-48 hours. This way you add flavor srom the seasoning and dont end up over salting it. Either way, good luck.
Disclaimer: this method will change texture to be more like deli turkey if going over 24 hours.

I say inject regardless of pre brine. Use the equilibrium method and let it equal out for 24-48 hours. This way you add flavor srom the seasoning and dont end up over salting it. Either way, good luck.
Disclaimer: this method will change texture to be more like deli turkey if going over 24 hours.

Thanks Itsdone,

I've never heard of the equilibrium method before. IIt sounds interesting. I wonder what exactly that is / means? I was with you until the part about being like deli turkey. I think that might be ideal breaker for me, but not sure.

JD

Back