Time to smoke a chuck

Negolien

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
christian
Last time I wasn't really happy with the way the wild fork meat was after trimming so I crock potted it. Probably woulda been fine if I had trussed them but they were 2 small 2.4 lbers. I got almost 8 pounds of roasts in two big Uns from safeway today at $3.99 a lb.* I was able to pick them out in person so it was easier. I might go back and get another 8 lbs just because it's on sale lol. I think I will save the smaller one to do with my 4 lb pork belly. I will do them both as burnt ends. Then again maybe I'll do both now and pick a chuck outta the next package for burnt ends LOFL.

So not sure when I am gonna do the chucks but it's gonna be within the next week. Gonna make mashed potatoes and carrots like a pot roast kinda but everything is gonna be cooked separately.

Last edited:
Make sure you smoke it above a pan to catch the drippings if you plan to do a pot roast. Then transfer to that same pan to finish.

They are rubbed and vacuum sealed. I got holy cow on the big 1 and spellbound on the other.

Attachments

• rubbed.jpg
    rubbed.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 216
  • rubbed 2.jpg
    rubbed 2.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 219
Make sure you smoke it above a pan to catch the drippings if you plan to do a pot roast. Then transfer to that same pan to finish.

I might put the carrots in there for 3 hours or so till I wrap the beef. Heats heat so I can always transfer em into a smaller pan and put my roasts in the pan with the drippings I was cooking the carrots and put the carrots in a smaller pan at wrap

I might put the carrots in there for 3 hours or so till I wrap the beef. Heats heat so I can always transfer em into a smaller pan and put my roasts in the pan with the drippings I was cooking the carrots and put the carrots in a smaller pan at wrap

Why wrap the beef? Smoke it for a few hours above the pan, then transfer to the pan along with the carrots and w/e and finish in the pan with some beef stock or w/e. No need to wrap.

Why wrap the beef? Smoke it for a few hours above the pan, then transfer to the pan along with the carrots and w/e and finish in the pan with some beef stock or w/e. No need to wrap.

Yeah, I guess I could do that too. Just tired of **** finishing at different times. Figured it would be easier to control in different pans. Which is what I meant by wrap... putting em in pans foil topped.

Attachments

• raw chuck 1.jpg
    raw chuck 1.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 203
  • raw chuck 2.jpg
    raw chuck 2.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 203
Wow

Yeah, I guess I could do that too. Just tired of **** finishing at different times. Figured it would be easier to control in different pans. Which is what I meant by wrap... putting em in pans foil topped.

Wholly Smokes Batman....

Do they REALLY sell chuck out there normally for $7.99/lb?!?!?

I mean, that $3.99 or maybe a $4.99 is regular price down here for the most part.....
(New Orleans).

Is all meat that expensive out there...it appears you are in California?

If I want to eat the potatoes and carrots, I add them much later. Otherwise, mush. I'm not sure I get much flavor from cooking them in there the entire time. All depends on timing, especially when you aren't doing a traditional braise.

Another thing I find I really like adding at the end of the braise are whole radishes. Great texture and flavor, an excellent contrast to everything else. Learned that from trying Korean stew recipes.

Wholly Smokes Batman....

Do they REALLY sell chuck out there normally for $7.99/lb?!?!?

I mean, that $3.99 or maybe a $4.99 is regular price down here for the most part.....
(New Orleans).

Is all meat that expensive out there...it appears you are in California?

Yes, prices are pretty crazy in the capital of commiefornia... Strip steaks $27 a lb here.

I work 5 12's so I haven't gotten around to it yet still sitting in my fridge in a vacuum sealed bag. Lookin at wed night maybe depending on how drunk and tired I am lol

just gonna do the carrots in my crock pot by themselves so i can make sure they are done to my preference and i'll do the red potatoes mashes solo too.

I work 5 12's so I haven't gotten around to it yet still sitting in my fridge in a vacuum sealed bag. Lookin at wed night maybe depending on how drunk and tired I am lol

That's tough.. There is always 'char the heck out of it in the dutch oven', and then slow cook it. And I find I like it seriously charred and even blackened. It just makes it better later. It gives the flavor, and the firmer texture. If you cut it into chunks for more surface area, those chunks are like mini-roasts. 2x3" or even bigger. Bigger pieces take less time to brown, because there is less flipping, but it does take some time, the turning and not crowding. If the pieces are too big, the center does not want to char.

They braise surprisingly quickly. In the winter I put the dutch in the oven, for even heat. In summer, I can put it on the gas grill. Those chunks freeze well in vac bags, and they're gold in your freezer.

Now.. I gotta get some chuck..

That's tough.. There is always 'char the heck out of it in the dutch oven', and then slow cook it. And I find I like it seriously charred and even blackened. It just makes it better later. It gives the flavor, and the firmer texture. If you cut it into chunks for more surface area, those chunks are like mini-roasts. 2x3" or even bigger. Bigger pieces take less time to brown, because there is less flipping, but it does take some time, the turning and not crowding. If the pieces are too big, the center does not want to char.

They braise surprisingly quickly. In the winter I put the dutch in the oven, for even heat. In summer, I can put it on the gas grill. Those chunks freeze well in vac bags, and they're gold in your freezer.

Now.. I gotta get some chuck..

I usually crock pot my roasts but it's getting to be nicer weather i wanna crank up my smoker. I have not done smoked chuck yet and I like pot roast so i have been wanting to do this on the grill for probably the past year. i'll do it wed or thursday and post the cook

Back