THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PBrug

Full Fledged Farker
Looking for thoughts from the Brethren...

I'm doing some Baby Backs and 2 small Spatchcock Chickens on the Assassin today. I usually concentrate on the breast temp when cooking whole birds and pull them at about 155 and let them rest and rise a lil. Breast meat is always moist and to my liking, dark meat good as well.

I wanted to take these birds further, to get that super tender / pullable dark meat, although I do not want to pull them. Haven't done whole birds that way in a really long time, as I usually just use boneless/skinless thighs when doing pulled chicken.

I dry brined the birds overnight with Kosher Salt and my rub.

So my question is, how far can I take the breasts before they are gonna be dry? What temps should I be looking for in the white and dark meat, to get that ultra tender, fall apart whole bird?

Any and all advise appreciated and welcomed!

8E9925Y.jpg

I butcher chickens and turkeys like this, and pull the breast at 158°, and the dark meat at 175+°.

I know this is veering off a bit from your question, as you seem to already have the cooker picked out for your chickens, but if you haven't tried doing a rotisserie basket chicken, it's a total game changer. I believe it will yield what you are looking for and then some. I documented my first cook here:

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=283095

IMG_6434_zpsuenlcwf8.jpg

IMG_6435_zpsdg29x4fp.jpg

Back