Fresh Ham cook

gcs

is one Smokin' Farker
After the previous discussion on Fresh ham I came across a few at the grocery store. We rarely see them, but I'm very familiar from times past, my Grandmother often cooked one. For 1.99 I couldn't resist.

Simple prep, scored the skin and rubbed salt,pepper and garlic powder all over.
placed in pan, in oven at 325 and let it go to 150 internal... , no smoke, no braising liquid, no basting.

Absolutely tender and delicious. :mrgreen:

Couple observations.... choose a butt half over a shank half, there's considerable bone in the shank half, for a few cents more the butt half is mostly meat, dry brine and wrap overnight, might help get some salt flavor deeper in the meat, these are big roasts, baste if you want to, and finally I'd bring the internal temp to 155. That's it, no drama, lol

Been eating pork for 3 days now....:razz:

I can only get whole fresh hams in my area, but i will definitely use the butt half for slicing sandwiches. Thanks for the info.

Damn fine!

I go for the butt half too when I can. A whole leg is a lot of meat.

Cheers!

Bill

So the butt half is the actual butt, unlike a pork butt that is actually the shoulder? lol

Not quite.

In butchering terms the butt is the closest to the body / spine.

In medical terms we call this kind of thing Proximal (closer to the body) and distal (further away).

Now to complicate things more, you would not call the distal part of the hind leg a "picnic" like you do for the front leg being separated into the butt and the picnic.

But you would call it a butt and a "hock"

Clear as mud right! :becky:

Not quite.

In butchering terms the butt is the closest to the body / spine.

In medical terms we call this kind of thing Proximal (closer to the body) and distal (further away).

Now to complicate things more, you would not call the distal part of the hind leg a "picnic" like you do for the front leg being separated into the butt and the picnic.

But you would call it a butt and a "hock"

Clear as mud right! :becky:

Just call them front leg and back leg and be done with it. Upper and lower.

If you do, people will know what you mean. They may correct you though.

The names of the cuts of meat crack me up too. When I tell someone I had a picnic, they think I had a wicker basket full of bread and cheese and wine and sat under a tree in a meadow and spread out a blanket underneath it all.

Back