Who makes the best fryer pot with basket?

Runamuck

Found some matches.
Name or Nickame
Bill
Hey everyone, I'm hoping to get some opinions on fryer pots to use on top of my bayou classic banjo burner to fry fish, chickens, and such. Was going to get a Bayou Classic Stainless, but see reviews of the cheap construction and people having them form pinholes. I do not want to have to worry about some piece of junk starting the neighborhood on fire. Who makes a nice heavy gauge pot with fry basket that will last, in about a 16 qt or so? Or, would you recommend a different size? Usually would be used for fish and 6-8 lb farm raised chickens. Thanks for any help you can give; I've been googling and just going in circles.

Thank you,
Bill

Funny that Googling for fryer pot brings up a lot of Bayou Classic hits from all over the web. My Masterbuilt gasser came with a nice aluminum pot, but I don't see it offered on their web site.

Last edited:
For cooking fish pieces and fillets you don't need that big a pot. You don't have to have a basket either. A Skimmer will work well. I'd look for at least a 9qt cast iron pot for the heat retention. If you can't find that then SS and then aluminum.

You can get a 12qt pot from Bass Pro but you will have to build the whole fryer yourself.
https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/king-kooker-pre-seasoned-cast-iron-dutch-oven

Then a good high pressure burner, a skimmer/basket and you'd have a great fish fryer.
You might still need a bigger pot for fowls but then get a SS one big enough for turkeys and seafood boils.

For cooking fish pieces and fillets you don't need that big a pot. You don't have to have a basket either. A Skimmer will work well. I'd look for at least a 9qt cast iron pot for the heat retention. If you can't find that then SS and then aluminum.

You can get a 12qt pot from Bass Pro but you will have to build the whole fryer yourself.
https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/king-kooker-pre-seasoned-cast-iron-dutch-oven

Then a good high pressure burner, a skimmer/basket and you'd have a great fish fryer.
You might still need a bigger pot for fowls but then get a SS one big enough for turkeys and seafood boils.

Umm... what's a skimmer?

I own two of the Cajun Fryers from R&V Works, one is the 2.5 gallon and the other is a 4 gallon double basket. Both of mine are over ten years old and get used a lot. The 2.5 gallon get used almost every week. I have seen some people complain that the quality is not what it used to be, but I looked at some at a dealer a few months back and they looked fine. I would buy another one if these were to somehow fail, but that is unlikely to happen.

Umm... what's a skimmer?

s-l500.jpg

I use a 32 qt pot from Webstaurant store, and it is great. Been in service just over 2 years now, and no issues. And this is on a high output propane burner. It is aluminum.

I was wanting something really wide, since my burner is wide, and this did the trick.

I was looking at one from Bayou or others, but the shipping was brutal!

I used an 80qt Hobart mixer bowl this weekend for 9lbs of cod.
Worked awesome, no basket, just a skimmer like in Bill-Chicago's post.
Still took me close to an hour, they stick together if you overcrowd them.

Deeper is better to keep splatter contained. Not necessary but if you're into stainless maybe you can look at some beer brewing pots.
They're very heavy duty and come in many different sizes.

I own two of the Cajun Fryers from R&V Works, one is the 2.5 gallon and the other is a 4 gallon double basket. Both of mine are over ten years old and get used a lot. The 2.5 gallon get used almost every week. I have seen some people complain that the quality is not what it used to be, but I looked at some at a dealer a few months back and they looked fine. I would buy another one if these were to somehow fail, but that is unlikely to happen.

Would you mind sharing a few more details regarding use of the Cajun Fryer. Where do you use them? Where do you store them? What's your routine for draining and/or changing the oil? I've been intrigued for a while but can't convince myself they are residential-use-friendly. Thanks.

Would you mind sharing a few more details regarding use of the Cajun Fryer. Where do you use them? Where do you store them? What's your routine for draining and/or changing the oil? I've been intrigued for a while but can't convince myself they are residential-use-friendly. Thanks.

They are very easy to use. I store and use them on my screened in patio. They have a threaded drain valve on them and I have a hose with the adapter that screws into the valve that I stick in an old cooking oil container when it is time to change the oil, which you just leave in the cooker. I change the oil in the 2.5 gallon about twice a year since we use it weekly. The 4 gallon get its oil changed less often. After a few cooks you add a little oil to keep them at the full level. After I drain them completely, I heat water in the fryer and put dish washing pods in to clean the fryer out then refill with oil. My neighbor has a 6 gallon that he just drains a little out after every cook then adds new oil to refill. He seldom drains all the oil for a boil out and seem to be working out just fine that way.

These fryers hold the oil temp extremely well. The oil temp barley drops when you add whatever you are frying and recover any temp drop quickly. I know several people that have them and they all like them. I highly recommend them.

For cleaning gook out of the oil, OK. How can that substitute for a basket?

You pull the fish out of the oil one piece at a time. If you're not throwing frozen stuff in the basket and dunking all at once, then you have about a 1 minute difference from the first piece of fresh fish until the last one goes in, else they stick together. I don't see a basket advantage in this situation.

For cleaning gook out of the oil, OK. How can that substitute for a basket?

About the same. Baskets won't do a good job either. You will need to get filters and drain the oil thru them.

Baskets and skimmers are meant to take the food out of the cooker; not the leftover garbage.

About the same. Baskets won't do a good job either. You will need to get filters and drain the oil thru them.

Baskets and skimmers are meant to take the food out of the cooker; not the leftover garbage.

That's not what skimmers are sold for...

The King Kooker® Small Fry Skimmer is a heavy-duty chrome plated wire mesh skimmer with a 6" bowl, allowing you to remove excess batter from your oil for a fresh taste and clean oil.

----cut and paste from elsewhere on the net-----
When we’re deep-frying, blanching, or boiling, we use a spider skimmer—a long-handled stainless-steel wire basket—to remove food from the pot. Spiders have larger capacities than slotted spoons and more open area for faster, safer drainage.

My 'skimmer' I use for frying is a very fine mesh. But it works well to remove food and remove debris.

Back