Outdoor Deep Fryer Suggestions

When I change the oil in my Cajun Fryers I drain the oil and fill with water then place a couple of Cascade Platinum dishwasher pods in the basket. Let it boil for 10 minutes, drain and rinse it out. They come out almost as clean as new.

Genius!

You guys leave these outdoors? How's that work?
No, mine stays in the garage until I need it. I use commercial cone oil filters and milk cans for oil storage. I filter while the oil is still hot. I also use oil stabilizer (Noble Chemical Fryclone stabilizer and filter powder).

Last edited:
I have the 4 gal Bayou Classic and kinda wish I had bought the 2.5 gal. I use it infrequently, partially because of how much oil it uses. I will say that I was using the oil 2-3 times before changing and y'all have me wondering if I was overdoing it.

I'm a newbie when it comes to frying food. So this was all new to me when picking up my outdoor deep fryer. I was able to score a new outdoor deep fryer that's maybe 10-12 years old second hand on Craigslist/Marketplace. I believe it's around 5 gallons and it will do up to a 12-14lb bird. It has been a fantastic addition to the stable. I highly recommend one. You might be better off using one of those dedicated turkey fryers if your main goal is turkey. You can find a turkey deep fryer pretty cheap second hand. Especially after Thanksgiving. So it might be worth grabbing a dedicated turkey fryer and something a little better suited for your average deep fried food. Just my initial thoughts. It might be worth checking Craigslist/Marketplace and see what's available. Deep frying food at home is very foreign here in MN and I was able to snag one. Go for it!

image.jpg

No, mine stays in the garage until I need it. I use commercial cone oil filters and milk cans for oil storage. I filter while the oil is still hot. I also use oil stabilizer (Noble Chemical Fryclone stabilizer and filter powder).

That's a pretty neat setup Curt! Thanks for sharing that.

I have the 4 gal Bayou Classic and kinda wish I had bought the 2.5 gal. I use it infrequently, partially because of how much oil it uses. I will say that I was using the oil 2-3 times before changing and y'all have me wondering if I was overdoing it.

Thanks for your input. I am not certain I'd need anything larger than 2.5 gal. I think I am with you on that logic.

I'm a newbie when it comes to frying food. So this was all new to me when picking up my outdoor deep fryer. I was able to score a new outdoor deep fryer that's maybe 10-12 years old second hand on Craigslist/Marketplace. I believe it's around 5 gallons and it will do up to a 12-14lb bird. It has been a fantastic addition to the stable. I highly recommend one. You might be better off using one of those dedicated turkey fryers if your main goal is turkey. You can find a turkey deep fryer pretty cheap second hand. Especially after Thanksgiving. So it might be worth grabbing a dedicated turkey fryer and something a little better suited for your average deep fried food. Just my initial thoughts. It might be worth checking Craigslist/Marketplace and see what's available. Deep frying food at home is very foreign here in MN and I was able to snag one. Go for it

Thanks WeberWho! I think I have come to the conclusion that if I want a turkey fryer, I'll just get one. I'd be using the fryer for fried chicken, wings, fries, chips, et al about 95% of the time, and I'd rather have the appropriate piece of equipment for that rather than try to shoehorn everything in one fryer. Seeming I'd only fry a turkey like once a year, if that, it makes more sense.

Back