THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Yep you nailed it.

With regard to "but it might not have the features you want" There's lots of mods that can be done to make it even better...

Also there are kits also that are easy to do ...doesn't take much building. Skill level is drill a hole and turn a wrench.

I figure that aspect of it would be a wash because it is true of both PBC and UDS.

I wouldn't presume to give one answer to this. To me, it comes down to a personal decision on what the individual wants. Some want to hang out in the back yard all day with a professionally-built stick burner while they feed it judiciously and adjust a vent here and there while drinking some beer. Not a thing wrong with that. Others want the experience of building their own cooker (whatever style) - learning new skills, finding special parts (this can be great fun) and showing off what it can do. Others want to prepare their food, put it in an easy to operate cooker and forget about it until it's done.

My decision was to buy a PBC. I like being able to hang my food, put the lid on and go to work. Or go fishing. Or run weekend errands. Or (my favorite) take a nap, all with knowing that I'm not going to screw it up due to inattention. And in the end I will have a finished product I am very happy with. I do dream of sitting under a shade tree next to a Shirley pit, tweaking a feast of smoked meat on it's way to perfection and staying cool with a frosty beverage. Hey, it's the American dream! But for my practical life, the PBC was the right choice for me.

I wouldn't presume to give one answer to this. To me, it comes down to a personal decision on what the individual wants. Some want to hang out in the back yard all day with a professionally-built stick burner while they feed it judiciously and adjust a vent here and there while drinking some beer. Not a thing wrong with that. Others want the experience of building their own cooker (whatever style) - learning new skills, finding special parts (this can be great fun) and showing off what it can do. Others want to prepare their food, put it in an easy to operate cooker and forget about it until it's done.

My decision was to buy a PBC. I like being able to hang my food, put the lid on and go to work. Or go fishing. Or run weekend errands. Or (my favorite) take a nap, all with knowing that I'm not going to screw it up due to inattention. And in the end I will have a finished product I am very happy with. I do dream of sitting under a shade tree next to a Shirley pit, tweaking a feast of smoked meat on it's way to perfection and staying cool with a frosty beverage. Hey, it's the American dream! But for my practical life, the PBC was the right choice for me.

All good points. But please don't make it sound like if you buy a PBC that you can't sip a beer as well. I have been known to enjoy an adult beverage or two while cooking on the Pit Barrel! :wink:

Last edited:
All good points. But please don't make it sound like if you buy a PBC that you can sip a beer as well. I have been known to enjoy an adult beverage or two while cooking on the Pit Barrel! :wink:

I'm with ya guys..I was drinking a cold cocktail "hanging" out cooking in the jimmy!

I agree with all of you. I built 3 UDS. 2 were with 55 gallon drums And one 30 gallon. I did it because I wanted a project to do, otherwise I would have bought one!

Agree^^^^^^^^. Shortly after I got my PBC, I welded a 2" pipe nipple with a ball valve in the intake. Got the idea from my Vault. Was it necessary? No, but I like being able to dial it up and down. It also makes extingushing it a breeze.

You should post a pic of it. That kind of concept could help other people.

Back