THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Have you ever built something that you cooked a seriously awesome meal on? Have you ever had someone look you in the eyes with disbelief and ask....."you cooked this dinner in that, and you built it?" If you answered "NO" to either of these questions then you need to build a UDS. Look around, do you have a menial amount of hand tools laying around? Do you have a basic understanding of math? Do you like the smell of hot steele? Are you OK with a small amount of bloodshed? If you answered "NO" to any of these questions then buy a PBC.

Have you ever built something that you cooked a seriously awesome meal on? Have you ever had someone look you in the eyes with disbelief and ask....."you cooked this dinner in that, and you built it?" If you answered "NO" to either of these questions then you need to build a UDS. Look around, do you have a menial amount of hand tools laying around? Do you have a basic understanding of math? Do you like the smell of hot steele? Are you OK with a small amount of bloodshed? If you answered "NO" to any of these questions then buy a PBC.

I can say YES and it works great.

Well reasoned arguement. Thanks!

Hell ya, great post.

I built 3 of my 4 cookers.

To answer your question, do you like getting your hands dirty or skip the hard work and get cooking? Life is about trade offs. With a UDS, you get something built to your specifications but you have to build it. With a PBC, you get something that you can use right now but it might not have the features you want.

Having said all that, I can only wonder the satisfaction that the REAL pit builders (and you know who you are) feel about fabricating a quality cooker.
(back on topic)

To answer your question, do you like getting your hands dirty or skip the hard work and get cooking? Life is about trade offs. With a UDS, you get something built to your specifications but you have to build it. With a PBC, you get something that you can use right now but it might not have the features you want.

Yep you nailed it.

With regard to "but it might not have the features you want" There's lots of mods that can be done to make it even better...

Also there are kits also that are easy to do ...doesn't take much building. Skill level is drill a hole and turn a wrench.

I'm a uds fan. I wanted a wsm but they were a little out of my price range. My brother who is also a big bbq guy wanted a wsm too. They were out of his price range also. So after looking at a few wsm and a few uds I thought I can build us both a couple of uds fairly cheap. With help from my dad who got us the barrels and a buddy who is a sheet metal worker I built 2 uds smokers for me and my brother. If you are patient enough to find the parts you need to build yourself a uds I suggest doing it. Do your research on this site and get building. There is no better feeling than building your own cooker and then making some great bbq for family and friends. In the mean time get a weber kettle and learn how to cook on it, it will help you when your uds is done. Long story short I love to bbq just like all of you and no matter what kind of cooker you have there is no better feeling than cooking up some good bbq for family and friends. Have a great memorial day weekend brethren!

Are you more proud of something you buy or something you build?!? Me something I build. I am incredibly impressed with my UDS and would never pay for what I can build myself.

I do get a great sense of pride from building things by hand. Fortunately I got a great cooker by buying the PBC, then had the fun of building a cabinet to store it in.

Are you more proud of something you buy or something you build?!? Me something I build. I am incredibly impressed with my UDS and would never pay for what I can build myself.

Some think it takes a bunch of skill when it really doesn't for something that is very nice and functional.

I can' t blame some for getting anxious and buying something like the PBC because it's proven and easy to use either. It's easy especially when you're new to get intimidated. Now that said some PBC owners shouldn't be afraid to make small changes to their cooker to make it even better.

Now that said some PBC owners shouldn't be afraid to make small changes to their cooker to make it even better.

Agree^^^^^^^^. Shortly after I got my PBC, I welded a 2" pipe nipple with a ball valve in the intake. Got the idea from my Vault. Was it necessary? No, but I like being able to dial it up and down. It also makes extingushing it a breeze.

Some think it takes a bunch of skill when it really doesn't for something that is very nice and functional.

I can' t blame some for getting anxious and buying something like the PBC because it's proven and easy to use either. It's easy especially when you're new to get intimidated. Now that said some PBC owners shouldn't be afraid to make small changes to their cooker to make it even better.

Be afraid. Be very afraid.:razz:

I do get a greatvsense of pride from building things by hand. Fortunately I got a great cooker by buying the PBC, then had the fun of building a cabinet to store it in.

I'm with you Bob

This was worth building

0MU1SVb.jpg

DWNflK8.jpg

hIl4S0Y.jpg

20120822_185511.jpg

PBC was worth buying

I'll say it here and probably the appreciation thread is that some cooker variety is a GREAT thing.

Example is I got several different cookers, and all of them do something a little better than the rest. It's fun to mix things up and cook those meals better that best fit that particular cooker.

There are PB owners that have bunches of cookers and then there are those that lean on it for everything. I'd urge those guys to expand their horizons and see how other cookers can benefit them. ...Does this make sense because i've had a couple drinks. ;))

Back