What's your preferred sauce for ribs?

I like a 50/50 mix of Blues Hog Original and Tennessee Red. I don't sauce very heavy because I like to taste the meat and rub but that little bit of sweet and spice is always welcome.

I seldom use sauce on ribs, but when I do, the above is one of my go-to sauces. There is a local product - Smackers - I like to use as well.

I use Trader Joe’s Bold and Smoky Kansas City.
Any time I make my ribs everybody requests this sauce.

Its Good stuff

I generally do not sauce ribs on the cooker. Since my preferred rubs for ribs have a sweet component, I tend towards a sour sauce, using a home made red sauce, that is largely thin and slightly vinegary. If I am using a store bought sauce, it will be Big Butz, Bart's Blazing Q or The Rub Company, then I will change my rub to something a bit more on the black pepper side of things.

I sauce as I like to firm up that sauce on the smoker. Since my rub is a bit on the spicy side SBR is often used. Yes, I know, HFCS. I think it is the only thing in my pantry with that ingredient.

Let's try to keep the pretentious ribs shouldn't need sauce comments to a zero, it's completely unhelpful to the OP.

Well said.

Sometimes I want sauce, sometimes I don't. Here's a nice compromise.

When you eat ribs as much as I do you gotta mix it up.

And when cooking for guest remember to cook to your audience.

Zarda BBQ sauce from KC. It's genuine Kansas City style, not that syrupy sweet Sweet Baby Mess, or, KC Master Disaster, both of which ought to be banned permanently for deceiving the unknowing.

And sometimes, if I just have to have something sweet (chicken thighs), I'll take the Zarda sauce, add a shot of good bourbon, and a goodly dollop of honey.

Last edited:
To me adding sauce is simply to add another flavor. Its not covering anything up, its making something that is already good even better.

I like Sweet Baby Ray's Chipotle, Cattleman's Kansas City Style, and Blues Hog. Ive tried making my own but by the time I buy all the ingredients and spend the time involved only to find out it wasnt quite was I was looking for, its decided its easier and cheaper to just buy it.

Whatever is on hand. I've been known to use Sucklebusters, Franklin BBQ vinegar sauce, homemade sauce, heck even KC Masterpiece.

When I do use sauce for ribs, Killer Hogs does it for me.
Great sauce for pork

Let's try to keep the pretentious ribs shouldn't need sauce comments to a zero, it's completely unhelpful to the OP.

Actually, if he learns that there are a lot of people that don't use sauce, the OP may try it that way and decide they like it better than sauced.

All great opinions and suggestions!

I generally put a little sauce on mine the last 45 mins-hour of cooking. Just to give them that extra profile. I've seen some people that just slather the sauce on during cooking and after. To each their own I suppose.

I make my own sauce and use it for pulled prok, on chicken, on ribs, etc etc. I was just thinking about maybe tweaking it a little bit and maybe making it a little more "sweet" with a hint of apple and cinnamon maybe? I think I'll double up on the apple butter I use in my sauce and put a dash of cinnamon in it. Maybe even use the ninja blender and put an apple in it too. Thoughts?

And while I agree that "great ribs don't need sauce", I also believe that adding a little sauce on them while cooking them gives a different level of flavor profile and enhances them.

Love to sauce my ribs last 30-45mins. I like it without sauce but prefer with sauce. Nice juicy ribs with a great sauce caramelized on the ribs that complements the rub hmmm hmmm. I've made my own but also love SBR's, Trader Joes KC, Stubbs, there are many good commercial ones out there from large manufacturers to small boutique places.

Tangy is my preference. I do a homemade red, peppery vinegar-base Western Carolina style, or a nice mustard-based SC sauce.

Actually, if he learns that there are a lot of people that don't use sauce, the OP may try it that way and decide they like it better than sauced.

And I'm all for that. Proper responses to something like that would be "I prefer my ribs dry" or similar. Not responses along the lines of "if you cook it right you don't need sauce".

Back