Temperature for Baby back ribs

Jbowie

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
Joe Bowie
I cook ribs frequently usiing a very sweet rub and a sweet sauce for glazing. I smoke at about 275 . I cook about 2 to 3 hours on the WSM. I then foil wrap after adding honey, brown sugar and butter. I cook about 1 hour. I put the ribs back on the grate and glaze with sauce for 30-45 minutes. I probe the meat with thermopen and usually they are near 195 -200 degrees. I live in a 160 unit apartment community and have shared with several neighbors. I know that it is standard to not look a gift horse in the mouth but many of these neighbors offer to pay me for more BBQ. Sometimes the meat is a bit dry. I would like feedbaack on what temp to pull ribs. I saw Harry Soo on YOU Tube made a statement he pulled ribs at 165.

I don't cook to IT for ribs. I cook at 275.

Baby backs - around 3 hours to the bend test.

If they're ready, they're done.

You asked for a temperature. An answer.

It's not exact but let's say you got called away and someone else had to finish your cook. They had a blank look when you said bend test, they looked lost when you mentioned a toothpick. But they can read a thermometer. Ask them to take them off at 203° wrap in butcher paper or loosely tent in foil. Let them rest 30 minutes or so before cutting

They'll eat

I have never probed pork ribs.
Just check the bend when you think they're done.
If they bend to 90 degrees easily then they are done.
If they crack when bent to 90 degrees then they are overdone.

Truth^^^

Other than the bend test, the two other ways to check if ribs are done is the probe test between the bones and through the meat. If the toothpick passes through the meat easily, they are done. I use a toothpick for this, but a thermometer probe works too. The other method is to take the rib from either end and twist it. If the rib turns easily or can be pulled from the meat, they are done. As for the desired finish temperature for ribs, I think I remember 200F+. I don't have the contest credentials that Harry Soo has but 165F sounds low to me.

f70vMmM.jpg

I wrap on color, and pull when tender.... and not all racks are the same. Pull-back on the bones, and probing are how I judge tenderness.

z4NVTen.jpg

Back